Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic heavy!

Re: Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic he

Stunning beyond words! and what an amazing gift too! Loved reading this post.@

Re: Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic he

I have built 4 myself...last one being 15 years. This makes me want to build another. Gb is what got me in to the community years ago, and this pack...is the best, I've seen incredible work. Be proud, doesn't get any better than this.

ghostbusters was the first thing I built and because of that community was almost the last thing I ever built.

thankfully I found here where it's a bit more fun to hang out...and it's a little more supportive for the new and stupid. my cynical self was not quite expecting that...

The first one I tried was a vacu formed pack, and Multi Media Mayhem thrower. the thrower was fine, but the pac need alot of extra detail that I wasn't good at adding.
it's now painted blue and I bring it out as a halloween decoration now and then since I don't mind if it gets damaged or stolen ;o).
37902_455950375210_7786348_n.jpg

the second one is from a few posts ago.. I forget who's pack it was, but it was a regular use on another forum. and it was a significant upgrade to the VF pack. I also learned what not to do from the first one.

but I still think i can make it look better
IT can also use a sound system upgrade ;o)
603012_10151025876405211_1521095437_n.jpg

This exemplifies why I may never get around to doing a Proton Pack, Ive tried, but its almost too daunting for one person to do right.

Thanks again for all the kind words, everyone!

This exemplifies why I may never get around to doing a Proton Pack, Ive tried, but its almost too daunting for one person to do right.

It does look overwhelming, but once you get into the research you'll begin to look at the thing as a collection of simpler sections/builds than one big undertaking. I hadn't built a pack in about seven years when Art enquired about having us build this one for Kristen, and I'd been collecting in the background - much of what's in this pack was already in our stockpile. If you just read into things from time to time, pick up pieces when opportunities present themselves, one day you'll find you're ready to build one part or another and you'll take it down in chunks. It's such a fun build - really worth tackling!

An absolute work of art, my friend!! I've spent countless hours pouring over details of the movie packs when I built mine years ago so there are always certain things I look for when people build packs and this is one of the first I've seen that it practically indistinguishable from the film used packs! It's making me want to build another one! ;)

WELL DONE!!!
-B89! :)

Beeb! The wood pack master!!! Thanks so much. I love seeing all of these old Proptopia faces coming out of the woodwork in this thread and in PMs - it reminds me of when the GB hobby was all positivity, research, collaboration, and discovery. There's still a lot coming out, a lot left to learn, but the GB community isn't the most welcoming to new faces (and questions) and seems to be annoyed more than anything by new information or people reaching too ambitiously for accuracy... Makes me think a GB section of the RPF might be able to sustain a more enthusiastic group! Gotmaul, care to lead an AP? :D

ASAP! I'd forgotten that place somehow.

I will never forget that place. I have fond, fond memories of it. Such a fun time to be a GB builder. And so much comradery.

I sort of lumped 'em all in with Proptopia, but you're right - ASAP was the golden era of it! I found it right after making my first pack and wished so badly that it'd been around earlier!

Golden era indeed! I miss Proptopia too. Unfortunately, when I decided to leave the community, I stopped going there as well and it was all but inactive by time I came back. Same with the GBBG. I barely got to post there.

Anyway. I apologize for the derail. Carry on!

Beeb! The wood pack master!!! Thanks so much. I love seeing all of these old Proptopia faces coming out of the woodwork in this thread and in PMs - it reminds me of when the GB hobby was all positivity, research, collaboration, and discovery. There's still a lot coming out, a lot left to learn, but the GB community isn't the most welcoming to new faces (and questions) and seems to be annoyed more than anything by new information or people reaching too ambitiously for accuracy... Makes me think a GB section of the RPF might be able to sustain a more enthusiastic group! Gotmaul, care to lead an AP? :D

Thanks, buddy!! Those were some REALLY GOOD TIMES!!! You're right, it was a real collaboration for sure! I know I wouldn't have gotten mine built without the openness to share discoveries of parts, willingness to do group runs to buy & distribute them... Great people, indeed!

I'm telling you, seeing your build has really got me jonesing to do another one!... I still have that original one I built primarily out of wood, btw ;)
Proton Pack.jpg

Last edited:

And it still looks great. Hard to believe it's wood!

That is a true work of art......... beautiful work....

This build is awesome. Pure awesome. It is flawless!

With one very minor exception. That bellows. That friggin' bellows. That bellows that I made.

I'd love to see the new style bellows installed with the more accurate machined top.

Let me know what it would take to have that happen! That pack deserves the best for Kristen (and Art).

pack_metal_bellows_858975.jpg

Seriously, though. Great job Doug. You nailed it.

This build is awesome. Pure awesome. It is flawless!

With one very minor exception. That bellows. That friggin' bellows. That bellows that I made.

I'd love to see the new style bellows installed with the more accurate machined top.

Let me know what it would take to have that happen! That pack deserves the best for Kristen (and Art).

View attachment 614892

Seriously, though. Great job Doug. You nailed it.

AJ, that is your new one!!! It was one if the last parts to arrive before we sent her out, and I was so glad you were able to get them done just in time (I actually felt like you were rushing on my account, and we really appreciated it). It's just some faux grime sitting in the center divot making that circle seem smaller.

You said the epoxied end caps would be strong, and you weren't kidding - we started what's proving to be a very difficult process of dremeling off the older kind from a few years ago to install the replacement caps you sent along with the new bellows.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back