VD Yoda Saber - Mixed Media Replica

JGattonII

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All. I recently joined the RPF. This will be my first real post/topic so hoping I do it right?!

The project started by finding a full 3D print model of Yoda's saber on thingiverse.com. After beginning to print the various pieces, I found myself reviewing their accuracy against various photos and diagrams found here on the RPF. The first conflict I noticed were the grips. The 3D print designer had created them with squared off tops - but I remembered a quote I'd read here from Mr. Ed Maggiani where he mentioned that the tops actually followed the contours of the handle. Then I noticed the biggest discrepancy (which I admittedly should've caught earlier): the whole thing was mirrored.

At this point, I decided a full re-design was necessary. I am myself a mixed bag of interests, randomness, skills and hobbies - so felt it only fitting to apply the same methodology to this Yoda saber build. Although I do hope to eventually build a real parts version (leads on Praco flashes?!?) this is where I am for now. Parts have been designed in Fusion360 from photos, diagrams and real-ish parts (lucked upon a Service flash at a local antique store and used it for the pommel).

Body is a 1-1/8" piece of aluminum tubing from a beat-up vintage snow shovel. Grips were 3Dprinted, sanded and then dipped into liquid Flex Seal. Reflector cut from aluminum sheet. Remaining parts have been 3D printed and are in varying stages of finish work (emitter/ Lamborghini wheel is in very rough filler/primer stage).
20201219_165125.jpg
20201219_165238.jpg
20201219_165249.jpg

Attachments

• 20201219_160944.jpg
    20201219_160944.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 95
Spent a bit of time trying to get the end cap a little more accurate.

According to the "Yoda Visual Dictionary Lightsaber" drawing (found within another RPF string), there are 89 knurls on the Praco.

yoda.jpg

When printed, it looked a little "off" based upon the Service flash endcap I'm using as a reference so I decided to checkfor myself. Based upon a crude method of counting little itty-bitty lines from a pencil/paper rubbing, I found that the service cap has more like 120 knurls. As a result, I re-designed and re-printed the part. It's definitely closer now - at least to the servi. I have a real Praco headed my way soon (Thanks The Ninja!) so will be able to verify - but until then I suppose the new design will work...

Attachments

• 20201222_121011.jpg
    20201222_121011.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 118
  • 20201222_121210.jpg
    20201222_121210.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 107
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back