Vader SL finished and ready to ship

Hey guys! I just realized I havent posted a new thread on the RPF in a while (outside of the Junkyard that is). So what better way to get back to posting, than to share with you all this SL I just finished for my good friend Piers. Went with fully functional 3M apple tabs for the mounting system and some early 70's Volvo mesh for the vents. Hope you guys like it as much as I enjoyed working on it :

View attachment 1027252

View attachment 1027253

View attachment 1027254

View attachment 1027255

View attachment 1027256

I would KILL for one of these!

Again just wow. I'm a loss for words.

This is the best copy of the SL. It does not have the flaired neck!

Thanks!

Believe me, all SL helmets have varying degrees of neck flaring. Another thing to take in to consideration is distance and lens while taking the photos. I try to optimize as much as posible when I photograph Vader helmets.

Thanks guys! working on these helmets is definitely a labor of love and it means the world to me to see it being so well received.

Here is another cool shot I took before it was completed. Tried making it look like vintage photography.

DSC_2529_vintage_01.jpg

It's funny - I know that folks want to use the original tabs system but isn't it so much more unstable?!

I can attest to this. Once you have it on... correctly... you really don't want to take it off unless you absolutely have to lol...

I want to take better pictures of mine, but I haven't because I don't want to take the dome off lol..

It's funny - I know that folks want to use the original tabs system but isn't it so much more unstable?!

I know, right? It's a pain to install and difficult to get the dome to sit properly -- but that's accuracy for you lol. On the helmets I've finished I've done many of them with the tube solution for that reason.

My "tube" broke off the inside of my dome. :(

And this happened years back, so I've lost the tube.

Is the best way to install a new one just to use some slow setting epoxy, so that I've got time to make adjustments as it cures?

By the way, this isn't a SL helmet (wish it were!), just a general question.

My "tube" broke off the inside of my dome. :(

And this happened years back, so I've lost the tube.

Is the best way to install a new one just to use some slow setting epoxy, so that I've got time to make adjustments as it cures?

By the way, this isn't a SL helmet (wish it were!), just a general question.

Bummer! Once I have the tube placement down I tack in place with superglue then hit it with 5 min Epoxy. Once that has cured I go over the outside of the join with two-part putty to give it a more finished look and help lock it in place.

Last edited:
Same process for the dome?
Yep :) only when doing the dome tube I don't add a ring of putty on the inside edge of the tube --- or if I do I make sure it doesn't interfere with the fit of the two rings (if that makes sense). I've also been known to use BondoGlass around the ring.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back