Vader:Best Inner robe/cape materials?

TazVader

Sr Member
G'day Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions. I am looking into having my inner robes and cape made. What's the best materials? Of course I'm having the satin lining but what to use? I've heard wool is good but very heavey & hot. Also that it's hard to maintain and creases really bad with wear. I am probably interested in a wool/polyester blend then? Anyone care to relate some experiences?

A vendor I'm talking to uses garvardine(alpacuna) 8oz. They make bobba fett suits and pilot coveralls out of it I believe. He said it looks goo and doesn't get too hot. Anyone? Best ideas? Pics?

Basically I am after something that is long wearing...doesn't crease to badly and looks the biz. I wanna pass 501st entry criteria too. I understand the original costume used something called crepe? But I heard it isn't that great?

Regards
TazVader :

Vader is not the best costume if you're worried about not getting too hot :lol Anyways, I went with 100% wool and I'm not having any problems. It's "suit" wool if you know what I mean, not "blanket" wool. It has a nice weight, feel, and drape to it and it flows nicely when you walk. My 501st garrison doesn't seem to have a problem with it either.

....here are pics from darthjones...supposedly of the original ANH cape....fabric looks like a very heavy gaberdine.....

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 2 2006, 02:04 AM
....here are pics from darthjones...supposedly of the original ANH cape....fabric looks like a very heavy gaberdine.....

[snapback]1148525[/snapback]​

I'm not sure on the fabric, but there is no seam line under the leather collar on the screen used vader cape. Unless there was more than one used that had it. ;)

Funny - when asked about this particular Vader cape I pointed out to them that there was no seam line in the photos, just like you say.

I was told that this cape, a little narrower than the others - just a half circle when layed out - was used for the ANH lightsaber fight.

Who knows - but it did have the Burmans and Nathans tag on the inside and veryfied from them and all that. Was auctioned off last year for 30 thousand dollars or so along with the tunic.

The material seemed to be right though and very similar to the ROTJ hero cape that I saw. Not the same, but similar with the lines in it.

Originally posted by darthjones@Jan 2 2006, 08:45 AM
Funny - when asked about this particular Vader cape I pointed out to them that there was no seam line in the photos, just like you say.

I was told that this cape, a little narrower than the others - just a half circle when layed out - was used for the ANH lightsaber fight.

Who knows - but it did have the Burmans and Nathans tag on the inside and veryfied from them and all that.  Was auctioned off last year for 30 thousand dollars or so along with the tunic.

The material seemed to be right though and very similar to the ROTJ hero cape that I saw.  Not the same, but similar with the lines in it.
[snapback]1148621[/snapback]​

$30K????.......incredible.......I suspect that there were different patterns used for the myriad of capes used in the OT.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back