Vader ANH helmet showoff....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by SithLord, Jun 24, 2006.

1. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I don't often have a showoff thread, so put this together...just for the aesthetics...it's a Ghosthost ANH Vader helmet. In spite of it's departures here and there from the original, this one is still near and dear to me....

[​IMG]

2. blipper

blipper Sr Member

Great job, and nicely shot too. How many Vader helms do you own SL? I have a GH too, my most treasured possesion. Would like to post pics once I find a tusk that's decided to go on vacation.

3. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Lovely lid Thomas. I hope to own a GH ANH one day.

4. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Very nice looking helmet you got there. :thumbsup

5. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

That my friend is my dream helmet. Exactly like you've pictured it.

6. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Beautiful Thomas, simply beautiful :thumbsup

You take an awesome photo too, I wish I could do that, it looks like a studio shot.

I just love my GH, although you wouldn't think I did, with the crappy paint job I did on it :D

Cheers,

Kraig

7. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Thanks, guys. Well I've moved from shooting in the bathroom (white light :lol) to the kitchen...more room :D. I just use a halogen lamp bouncing off the ceiling and set my camera for auto-white balance and longer exposure times...no color manipulation in photoshop. I use a manfrotto tripod since I'm not using flash (lighting too harsh) and its indoors. I just have a handful of helmets in my collection...not like some of the hugely impressive helmet collections some here have (Lord Sandy's comes to mind). Ya those wayward tusks...I just taped them on this GH helmet for the shots. Hope you guys can post photos of your helmets as well...whatever condition they are in :).

8. redeye

redeye Well-Known Member

That's one good looking helmet :thumbsup

9. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

What a lovely helmet. :) . Really, very nice work.

10. blipper

blipper Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Jun 25 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]1267552[/snapback]</div>

Yeah but ANH rules them all, huh? ;)

11. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet Noggin Sithlord......very nice photography. You know your way around a camera. :)

Dave

12. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Perfection... :)

13. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

Great photos. Very impressive...I really wish I could get a good photo but mine are never that nice.

14. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(vader71 @ Jun 25 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]1267804[/snapback]</div>
    Turn the camera around... (sorry... couldn't help it...) :angel

15. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

It's a beauty :thumbsup Thanks for sharing SithLord.

16. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

A bit of trivia about the photos....the GH faceplate and helmet were mated only with two paired layers of velcro...there is no spacer...no mounting ring. Of course because of that the helmet sits back a bit further as well. Here's a comparison below of my JBV2 faceplate mated with the GH helmet (top row) and then the GH faceplate inside the same helmet (bottom row). The JBV2 requires a ring spacer a bit less than 1 inch tall.

[​IMG]

Here are the same faceplates without the helmets on. JBV2 on left, GH on right. The JBV2 faceplate is nearly the same size/shape as a 20th Century ESB faceplate, for example. I'm always intrigued by differences between fan-made helmets such as these....

[​IMG]

17. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Awesome pics again Thomas :thumbsup

Well, I'm going crazy trying to get decent photos. These are the best I can do for the moment, for some reason they're grainy, they shouldn't be, they were taken in a room that cops the morning sun and is nice and light.

Well. here they are in all their grainy, blurry and detail lacking glory :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One day I have to figure out how to use this bloody camera.

Cheers,

Kraig

Edit: I put 2 of the same pic up :unsure

18. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Thanks for pics Sithlord n Yakcam. Very interesting info on mounting systems or lack of. I have noticed that alot of helmets can look terrible if the dome is not sitting properly on the faceplate. These helmets have great dome alignment.

19. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Nice pics, Yak....ya it's amazing how much spacer I need even on the sides of the JBV2 to get the helmet to sit straight...

20. RKW

RKW Sr Member

All ESB faceplates had a 1" dome mounting ring fitted on top and the actual ANH dome would have also had something inside the dome to reach the dome tabs on the faceplate. I would say that you've got your domes sat too high in the first place as the widows peak covers the top nose slot in the Tantive scenes so you could probably reduce the amount of velcro you're using. Using foam inside the dome like seen in ROTJ helps keep the dome straight.

Nice pics though, they'll come in handy ;)

21. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

As of right now the only lid I have is a cKing but I will have a JB ANH V2 within the next week. It's great to have those reference shots of the spacers as that is probably how I will have to do mine. Thanks for sharing Thomas, that subject is of particular interest to me.

22. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Nice shots SL. I'm an ESB man myself but that GH is sweet... ;)

23. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Apart from the exaggerated neck flare, it's a nice lid....nice paintwork. :thumbsup

24. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

As least on mine the neck seems fine...just the right side comes out a bit in the rear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Jun 27 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]1268897[/snapback]</div>
    When you say "right side", do you then mean the left on the picture? Just to be sure I got it right.

26. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

sorry....Vader's right :)...the left is perfect as far as I can see, the right comes out just a bit in the rear making it look wider overall but the face is right on in terms of proportions to the helmet...that's why depending on how you rotate it, the neck will look wider or narrower compared to screen shots. Here's a very old comparison I did showing how the neck can look different but also that it's not as narrow as the ESB movie poster helmet or 20th Century ESB. The neck differences were at one point assumed (by myself) to reflect two different helmets but that turned out not to be the case. Others here had speculated that there was more than one original sculpture, something I was never convinced of.

[​IMG]

27. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

That comparison illustrates at least one thing very clearly....lighting plays a huge role in the way that the helmet looks. Especially when lit from below, the neck looks bloated in some shots whereas in the 2nd pic, it looks more proportionate to the face....

28. Jaintly

Jaintly Active Member

My God, that helmet is the one I will always think of when I think of our dear ol' Darth.

29. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

:lol Beatle...

Ya Kev I agree...lighting and also angle (from below or straight on) make a big difference...it's fun to try photographing one's own helmets different ways and see how angle affects the look...