Vac Table: Buy vs Build

asok

I am wanting to start vac forming. Should I build or buy? I have seen how to build one but, not where I can buy one. Any pros or cons?

Thanks,
Asok

<div class='quotetop'>(asok @ May 30 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1253291[/snapback]</div>
I have seen how to build one but, not where I can buy one.
[/b]

You may have answered your own question. I've not seen vaccume form set ups for sale. At least, not anything short of the heavy-duty/industrial variety. Perhaps I don't know where to look (I have to admit I've put little effort into looking. I don't have any place to set it up if knew where to buy one). You might find someone willing to sell their home-built set up.

If anyone does know of a "turn key" vac form set up for sale, I'm sure there are a lot of folks in this forum who would like to hear about it.

I can tell you that unless your happy with paper thin parts made from .020 and .010 sheets, you will need a real vacuum pump.

So figure on a few hundreds for a serious Vacuum pump, and if you can holding tanks to pull a vacuum on.

Mine is a 6 CFM and will pull a real hard vacuum that will boil water at room temperatures. It pulls around a real 28 inches or better.

Rich

I am building one right now based on the instructions from tk560.com. Even though I had reservations about doing all the wiring, Jimbo makes it very easy. Thanks, man..your site is a boon to the hobby. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I would build a Vacuumformer like the one on tk560.com but my garage doesn't have the Power to handle such a powerful machine.

I plan on re-wiring my Garage/Shop to accomodate a more powerful machine, but not right away. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ May 30 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1253482[/snapback]</div>
I am building one right now based on the instructions from tk560.com. Even though I had reservations about doing all the wiring, Jimbo makes it very easy. Thanks, man..your site is a boon to the hobby. :thumbsup :thumbsup
[/b]

I've been asked about the plastic thickness, and if my Thurston James inspired shop-vac powered machine can pull thicker materials. Well, I can pull from .060, .080, and .093 HIPS and have even pulled as thick as .125 Acrylic with no troubles. I agree with what RACPROPS said, but I am pulling stuff like helmets and armor parts, and this system works fine for me. Not much luck with ABS, and I think to pull that stuff you need a decent high-vac rig. The more vacuum the tighter the pull, and the more details you can get. But for starters, you can make one of these little rigs,

http://www.tk560.com/vactable2.html

Cost was less than $75. I did this one to test the waters, and it works, but I wanted to go larger.

wondering what´s the pro´s and con´s between the different types of vac tables
i want to go for a flip system
heater beside the mold/vac table
but not sure if it is a problem when the plastic comes with a bad angle on higher moulds?

other opinion with heater on top
so i can pull it directly down
too much waste of energy while heating up?

anyone have some pics of a professional vac forming system or your private workstation?

I started to build one but still working out some of the problems. The main roadblock I hit was getting the plastic heated evenly enough to be workable. But heat guns do wonders in little spots.

Chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back