V2 Figment 1:1 sculpture from Journey into Imagination ride (Disney/Epcot) WDW

joez2391

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Back in 2013 I started working on a sculpture of Figment from the Journey into Imagination ride at Disney's Epcot. It was one of my first sculpts and I just was never happy with the look. I was using super sculpy at the time and i just couldnt get the proportions right. Ended up tossing it and moved on, always wanting to try to tackle it again but it kept taking a back seat to other projects.

Fast forward 6 years... So, a few months ago I was approached by a client asking if I'd be interested in a possible commission for a full scale Figment. I was really excited to finally be able to make the Figment sculpt I envisioned back then. This sculpt will be as accurate as possible to the original 1982 animatronic. I was able to get some measurements from an original head casting as well that was sold a while back, so the size will be true 1:1 scale. :)

So let's dive in with some progress pics!

IMG_2744.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg
IMG_2851.jpg

Thanks guys!

Scupture is almost done, just needs some final smoothing and adding the circle "scale" details. I added the hammered texture details to the horn and poured up the two part silicone mold. Will pour up casts to make sure horn placement/angulation is correct.

IMG_3240.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3592.jpg
IMG_3790.jpg
IMG_3805.jpg

Sculpture is finished! All details added and horns and back spikes have been cast. Next up, 2 part brush on mold of the head and body.

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg
IMG_4188.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg

Here is an example of the real 1982 figment, you can see the random circle "scales" and other details Figment prop VEG 2019 1.jpg

Figment is finished and painted and off to the client! It looks darker than it is in person, I painted it using references of the original 1980 animatronic skin for colors and shadows.

Hope you like it, this has been a project I've wanted to tackle for a while. I'll be making a project run for castings soon if interested in adding a Figment to your collection. :cool:

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg
IMG_5546.jpg
IMG_5503.jpg
IMG_5529.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back