V Visitor Holster - Making-of

the.rebel.agent

Sr Member
Looking to create the best holster out there. Really, want to create a screen accurate one for my future local group of visitors. Based on dimensions of some resin cast guns, which are about 31cm long, 14.5cm tall and 37 mm width I created a 3D model.

Here you have the screen caps I used as reference:
A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Some screen caps I took last year:
https://picasaweb.google.com/the.re...rScreenCaptures?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjw9uSfz_n_iQE

and the first prototype I created:

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you have any other photo will be welcome. I will print this in paper and start creating a paper prototype to compare with the laser gun I have. Feedback will be welcome.

Nice. :)

When the first series was on, there was a toy pistol (with bits to convert it to a rifle), that came with a holster. It wasn't a true 'V' tie-in, just a toy company's version, but it looked pretty close to the official ones. Can't remember who made it, but if I can locate any info, I'll be sure to pass it along, in case it can help. :)

You mean the Robotech toy. I saw it. The gun and rifle are undersized but looks great. They are quite expensive and from time to time you can catch them on eBay. If someone is doing it, I am willing to share measurements as well.

I have that robotech rifle/pistol set but I don't remember it coming with a holster. The set is a bit undersized but with a little modification it can make a decent pistol and rifle. Basically you need to remove a little bar thats under the center clear rod and pretend it's a bit bigger. :lol

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Clearly a fan made one right? I printed my schematics on paper and tried the resin 1:1 gun.

This is the first test:
2012-03-05_00-12-13_834.jpg

2012-03-05_00-13-50_422.jpg

Thanks to this, I realized that the body and lid were 3 o 4 mm bigger in height. So I reduced it 3mm, just in case the real one is 5% bigger than mine.

This is the second test:
2012-03-05_01-36-42_610.jpg

2012-03-05_01-38-11_884.jpg

Now, base and lid looks quite close to the screen used one. Have to work on the belt hook part, which is short comparing it. I guess that my reference was not even good enough to calculate that part. Keep the photos and reference coming please. I really appreciate your input.

more photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/VVisitorHolsterMakingOf?authkey=Gv1sRgCLWRq_PL_ZncJA#

PS: Shapeways will 3D print the lid for 51 dollars or so. That's great!

Final design is almost done. Let's hope I can make them affordable. We are looking for screen accuracy cause most of the local guys supporting me in Argentina don't have too much money to spent in several holsters and prototypes. We are going to need at least 8 of them.

I did somo minor mods to the hook, which is the parts that keeps the holster hooked up to the belt.

As pictured in the auction photo:

1.jpg

Correctly assembled:

4.jpg

6.jpg

Where we go from now, well, I guess a 3D printing will be the right choice, but will have to paint it. Laser cutting the base and the hook also is a great idea. Vacum-formed seems to be the right choice If we are looking to replicated them like the original prop makers did. What do you suggest? Still have to decide the lid wall thickness as well how to fix the leg strap. :confused

as a matter of fact, I did add a slot at the tip of the base not noticeable in the render. It is a inch slot 1mm thick. My idea is to create a base that folds itself and fix the strap that way. Not sure how the original was made since I don't have a clear shot of that zone. Base in my design is 3mm thick. Will be made of two parts of 1.5mm. Will post some images during the rest of the day.

About materials, do you think plastic will be fine right? ABS? Textured right?

Did some mod to the part that keeps the leg strap. Now, It is more close in dimension to the screen used one:

Screen capture:

2011-08-24_23-55-13_212.jpg

1.jpg

Auction photo:

296271_2218697761266_1662308389_2207847_2014570661_n.jpg

2.jpg

Planning to laser cut these parts:

5.jpg

but not sure about this part:

6.jpg

7.jpg

I believe they vacuum-formed this? Not sure cause of the shape of it. I have no experience doing vacuum-formed stuff, but seems like they have to cut open the side to slide the gun? You tell me.Another option is to 3D print this part, which is cheap for 1, but not for 9 of them since ShapeWays don't do volume discounts.

Fully assembled:

3.jpg

What do you think guys?

Just in case someone cares about this project, I am planning to create a home-brew vaccum machine to create the holster lid. Have been doing some research about it and ended up creating the mold for this part. This is how I think should look:

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Planning to test it with 2mm black textured ABS. A friend of mine told me won't be any problem vacuumforming this piece. What do you think?

I think it's worth a try, if it works, you get as many holsters as you need and then a few for interested parties here lol Me being one of them.

Great work so far, love the 3d modeling you;ve done.

Thanks, but I don't think there is much interest in this prop or this particular TV Show anymore. Despite of that, I am still willing to finish my costume as well my gang here. And If in the process, I learn something new, that will be terrific. I am really anxious to build that vacuum machine BUT have to create the mold first, so keep you posted.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back