V Visitor Holster - Making-of

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by the.rebel.agent, Mar 4, 2012.

1. the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent Sr Member

Looking to create the best holster out there. Really, want to create a screen accurate one for my future local group of visitors. Based on dimensions of some resin cast guns, which are about 31cm long, 14.5cm tall and 37 mm width I created a 3D model.

Here you have the screen caps I used as reference:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some screen caps I took last year:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/the.re...rScreenCaptures?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjw9uSfz_n_iQE

and the first prototype I created:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any other photo will be welcome. I will print this in paper and start creating a paper prototype to compare with the laser gun I have. Feedback will be welcome.

2. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

Nice. :)

When the first series was on, there was a toy pistol (with bits to convert it to a rifle), that came with a holster. It wasn't a true 'V' tie-in, just a toy company's version, but it looked pretty close to the official ones. Can't remember who made it, but if I can locate any info, I'll be sure to pass it along, in case it can help. :)

3. the.rebel.agent

You mean the Robotech toy. I saw it. The gun and rifle are undersized but looks great. They are quite expensive and from time to time you can catch them on eBay. If someone is doing it, I am willing to share measurements as well.

4. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Here's some pics of mine that may be of some use:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I have that robotech rifle/pistol set but I don't remember it coming with a holster. The set is a bit undersized but with a little modification it can make a decent pistol and rifle. Basically you need to remove a little bar thats under the center clear rod and pretend it's a bit bigger. :lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. the.rebel.agent

Thanks for the photos. Clearly a fan made one right? I printed my schematics on paper and tried the resin 1:1 gun.

This is the first test:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to this, I realized that the body and lid were 3 o 4 mm bigger in height. So I reduced it 3mm, just in case the real one is 5% bigger than mine.

This is the second test:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, base and lid looks quite close to the screen used one. Have to work on the belt hook part, which is short comparing it. I guess that my reference was not even good enough to calculate that part. Keep the photos and reference coming please. I really appreciate your input.

more photos here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/VVisitorHolsterMakingOf?authkey=Gv1sRgCLWRq_PL_ZncJA#

PS: Shapeways will 3D print the lid for 51 dollars or so. That's great!

7. the.rebel.agent

I fixed the belt hook part:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post more photos in a few hours. Hope this helps.

8. brutalmagic

brutalmagic New Member

Looking good there my friend, I suspect a run of these might be in order!

9. the.rebel.agent

Final design is almost done. Let's hope I can make them affordable. We are looking for screen accuracy cause most of the local guys supporting me in Argentina don't have too much money to spent in several holsters and prototypes. We are going to need at least 8 of them.

10. the.rebel.agent

I did somo minor mods to the hook, which is the parts that keeps the holster hooked up to the belt.

As pictured in the auction photo:

[​IMG]

Correctly assembled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where we go from now, well, I guess a 3D printing will be the right choice, but will have to paint it. Laser cutting the base and the hook also is a great idea. Vacum-formed seems to be the right choice If we are looking to replicated them like the original prop makers did. What do you suggest? Still have to decide the lid wall thickness as well how to fix the leg strap. :confused

11. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I'm loving the research here, and would definately be interested in a holster!

12. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Looking good.. You need to add a strap holes at the bottom of the holster to thread strap through to secure to leg..

[​IMG]

13. the.rebel.agent

as a matter of fact, I did add a slot at the tip of the base not noticeable in the render. It is a inch slot 1mm thick. My idea is to create a base that folds itself and fix the strap that way. Not sure how the original was made since I don't have a clear shot of that zone. Base in my design is 3mm thick. Will be made of two parts of 1.5mm. Will post some images during the rest of the day.

About materials, do you think plastic will be fine right? ABS? Textured right?

14. the.rebel.agent

That's what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

It is kinda exaggerated, but will be there on way or another.

15. the.rebel.agent

Did some mod to the part that keeps the leg strap. Now, It is more close in dimension to the screen used one:

Screen capture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auction photo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planning to laser cut these parts:

[​IMG]

but not sure about this part:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe they vacuum-formed this? Not sure cause of the shape of it. I have no experience doing vacuum-formed stuff, but seems like they have to cut open the side to slide the gun? You tell me.Another option is to 3D print this part, which is cheap for 1, but not for 9 of them since ShapeWays don't do volume discounts.

Fully assembled:

[​IMG]

What do you think guys?

16. the.rebel.agent

Just in case someone cares about this project, I am planning to create a home-brew vaccum machine to create the holster lid. Have been doing some research about it and ended up creating the mold for this part. This is how I think should look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planning to test it with 2mm black textured ABS. A friend of mine told me won't be any problem vacuumforming this piece. What do you think?

17. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I think it's worth a try, if it works, you get as many holsters as you need and then a few for interested parties here lol Me being one of them.

Great work so far, love the 3d modeling you;ve done.

18. the.rebel.agent

Thanks, but I don't think there is much interest in this prop or this particular TV Show anymore. Despite of that, I am still willing to finish my costume as well my gang here. And If in the process, I learn something new, that will be terrific. I am really anxious to build that vacuum machine BUT have to create the mold first, so keep you posted.

19. the.rebel.agent

Let's make a poll about materials:

this one:
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    [​IMG]

Comparison:
    [​IMG]

20. the.rebel.agent

This is a vacuum forming simulation I did with the CAD program. The green one should be the mold, and the black one pretends to be the hips:
    [​IMG]

21. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

the second one has more of a lizard skin feel to it. I'd go with that one.

as for interest, I'm telling you there is at least on guy right here lol

22. the.rebel.agent

You seems to be the only one taking #2. All other I contacted took #1 as correct one, as well I do, according the photos we have.

23. ShockTrooper

ShockTrooper Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

24. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I'm enjoying this thread. I still watch the copies I downloaded from ITunes about every Few months. Still love the original and Final Battle.

Kenny is also a great guy. He has taken time to answer many letters from this fan boy over the years.

25. the.rebel.agent

That's great. If you still have his postal address or email, why don't you ask If he remembers what used as belt pouch?:love Or maybe he still in contact with the costume designer.:rolleyes

26. the.rebel.agent

I will have all the laser parts cut for the mold next Wed. Keep you posted guys.

27. the.rebel.agent

I was revisiting the tv show this morning and find out this:

[​IMG]

there are several belt hook lengths. That's why my first calculation did not match auction photo. So, I will do a average one and everyone happy.:love

28. Zxen22

Zxen22 New Member

You may add me to the ranks of those very interested in this project. I remember seeing your intent to do this on the Visitor forums and am amazed how much work and research you have already done. Quite awesome.

Definately one more eager to get a working holster :) It is all I need to finish my uniform.

As for material I think the second looks neat but yeah, the first matches more. Good luck on the work!

29. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Kennycjohnson@aol.com
    I know there is a prop maker on this forum who worked on the original show as well. I will try to find his name. It's been sometime since I have seen him here.

Never know, maybe Kenny will hook you up with the info:thumbsup
    Btw, this is the email he posted on his official website. He does respond to fan emails.

30. the.rebel.agent

Thanks, Will email him. Who knows, he may answer my question.

31. the.rebel.agent

Got the laser parts for tho mold:
    [​IMG]

Will try to do some test during the weekend.

32. the.rebel.agent

Today I finished my vacuum table, the frame, and the pseudo-over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the over I installed a small heater like this:

[​IMG]

Mi first attemp was a total failure. I could not heat the ABS as needed, so basically I failed to form the holster. Will try to cover the internals over walls with aluminium folds like I saw in a youtube video.

Here you will see the the making-of:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/the.re...neTableMakingOf?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSIt9Pixtz3nwE

Won't give up and will try again tomorrow night after my job. Keep you posted guys.

33. the.rebel.agent

I did not give up and tried again few hour ago. Problem was the oven box was to tall. Cut the box half the size and still could not get the abs heated. Nevertheless, I did pull something better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this sucks, but will improve it in a few more attempts. Have to buy a powerful heater and low down the oven box just a little bit. Keep you posted guys.

34. the.rebel.agent

I visited a factory today. They gave me clear instructions in how to do the mold. Mine won't do the job since they need an aluminium one. MDF won't survive the process. Especially with heated ABS or HIPS. So, will have to do it again and have to increase the size 2%. Matrix is expensive compared with MDF, will last forever. Basically, I modified the base, which is going to be vacuum formed to. Base will include a slot to insert the leg strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is how will look all together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to them, final price will be around 35 dollars plus belt hook, leg strap and assembly. Which I am trying to get it low than 45 dollars final plus shipping? they are willing to help me, but minimum quantity will be 30. What do you think? do I start a interest list?

35. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I'd start the interest thread. I'm good for at least one!

36. the.rebel.agent

In my local group will need 8 of them, that left 22 for other visitors/collectors. Already contacted other V fans asking/showing my project looking for adepts. I know they are hard to find, and the ones on sale are expensive and inaccurate. So, for 45 dollars, factory made, not fan made, I think they are a great deal. My only problem is where to create that int list. Cause I am posting in 3 different forums. here, V French Squad, and VisitorAlliance. We will see how much interested the fans/collectors are.:thumbsup

37. the.rebel.agent

Well well, as I did last week, I keep trying and today, after I did a smaller frame, I was able to do it. Yes, vacuum-formed a bunch of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The most exciting video, thanks to my lovely wife:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbd_3Q4occ

Will trim them properly and will post more photos to test the pistol inside it. What do you think guys? Have to sand the mold and do some tweaks, but will do the trick.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  38. the.rebel.agent

Okey, some news about it. Trimmed them and did some tests. You can see them in the next photos:

[​IMG]

2 mm vs 1 mm HIPS: You will notice how 2mm edges are not so sharp. Will correct this in the next model adding more material to that part.

[​IMG]

Even If not 1:1 yet, cause the 2mm ended up being 1mm, this pistol fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am pretty confident that final holster will be great. Any feedback will be welcome.

39. Zxen22

Zxen22 New Member

I think its looking darn good. I know next to nothing about this process but you seem to be getting it down pretty well. Looks like the fit is about perfect. Hmm for feedback? The shell seems a bit thin from the photos atm (the 1 mm thing?), be interesting to see how it holds the gun when finished. I will definately be interested in at least two of these bad boys :cool Great work on this, so cool that you are actually getting this done!

40. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Rebel Agent....

Do you have a source for the V blasters? Would love a set... Blaster and Holster...
    Let me know...

-Skyler101

41. the.rebel.agent

Thanks, and about the wall thickness, yes I have noticed that material reduced twice the original size, so If you want a 2mm, you will have to use 4mm or so. Factory guy promised me a 2mm wall, so It is up to him which material and how much will heat it. 2mm ended up being 1mm, which is feels sturdy, but will deff prefer a 2mm wall.

42. the.rebel.agent

Best one right now is Katarra on eBay. Coolmoldels is half the price (the one I am using right now, borrowed by a friend), but won't buy from him since they are know recasters.

43. the.rebel.agent

44. the.rebel.agent

45. the.rebel.agent

Tada! Base is not perfect cause I used the same frame and barely fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool right? Will be sanding the smoothing the borders to cast the mold in aluminum. What do you think?

46. darkjawas

darkjawas Member

I am wondering how this one will fit the pistol up here in CT-V

our V group is growing and working on many prodjects

I know charles has been talking on getting one or two holsters for us
    i have yet to track down where my V pistol came from
    (i bought it a dragon con 09 from a steam punk vendor)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

47. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

are these still available? did the run ever happen?

48. the.rebel.agent

not yet. Working on the gun.

49. Knightofrpublic

Knightofrpublic New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first RPF post. Let me know if it's bad form to add to someone else's thread with my own work.
    I thought I would share my V Holster project here rather than starting a new thread.

Over the years I wanted an accurate V Holster and I have never been able to find one that was accurate or close to accurate.
    Most I've found were close but that was it. Close. No offense to the holster on this thread.

Using a bunch of screen grabs and promo photos I was able to get the right shape worked out. I made a buck out of wood and then vacuformed it with black PVC plastic.
    This holster works great with both the accurate screen used pistol as well as the never screen used pistol that is most often found for sale. The toy pistol might not work so well as it is much smaller.

Let me know what you guys think. It's about as close to the originals as I have ever seen. But it's still not 100%.
    Thanks.

IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg

Screen Used Holster (Thigh strap tab is broken off)
    IMG_74CFBB717DD7-1.jpeg
    IMG_280FB83291F2-1.jpeg

Felgacarb likes this.
  50. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like Diana caught up with the rebel agent, bet he was finger licking good!

Nice work on the holster Knight and welcome aboard!!