Usage of Ripped Video Game Models?

Chris Moliere

I'm currently using a set of FNAF VR: Help Wanted models (along with some fanmade ones) to make STLs for accurate 3d printed and/or foam costumes. I am considering posting these models on Thingiverse, some foam templates on this forum, or maybe selling some costume kits. Would there be any problems with me doing this (Usage rights, approval from original model creators, etc.)?

I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure that selling templates pulled from game models would be a serious no no as far as copyrights are concerned. You could use them for your own use but to put them up on somewhere like Thingiverse and offer them for sale would almost certainly get you (at the least) a C&D from the game publishers if they found out. If you put in the description that the templates were derived from in game models Thingiverse themselves might even allow you to put them up for sale in order to avoid any potential from the game's/games' publisher(s).

I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure that selling templates pulled from game models would be a serious no no as far as copyrights are concerned. You could use them for your own use but to put them up on somewhere like Thingiverse and offer them for sale would almost certainly get you (at the least) a C&D from the game publishers if they found out. If you put in the description that the templates were derived from in game models Thingiverse themselves might even allow you to put them up for sale in order to avoid any potential from the game's/games' publisher(s).
Thanks for the quick response! I think posting templates on the forum (for free) would be a bit easier and more accessible for people.

90% of the car models on thingyverse are ripped from Forza games (ie Microsoft). i wouldn't worry too much about it. There's also lots of Batman and other trademarked items there too. If you get called out on it, just delete it. if they did sue (unlikely), as 3D printed is a 'new' medium, you could argue fair use as a transformative work.

My personal opinion is if you have to ask, it's probably not the best idea. The difference between what a lot of people do and what a true crafts person or artist does is often vast. If you base your decision on who you want to be and not what you can get away with, you're on the right track (y)

After reading my comment, I fear it could be read as condecending. I don't mean it like that. When I say "you" I speaking holisticly. I hope that the spirit of what I mean comes across. I'm terrible at posting...

After reading my comment, I fear it could be read as condecending. I don't mean it like that. When I say "you" I speaking holisticly. I hope that the spirit of what I mean comes across. I'm terrible at posting...
Don't worry, it's quite all right. I'm rubbish at 3d modeling, and these models are straight from the game. The fact these models can be easily converted to STLs makes the costume processes easier, and as Kruleworld said, there are already many models ripped from video games available for download on the internet.

Fair use is somewhat confusing and subject to interpretation. Yes, when you printing it you are transforming the work, but when it is in its digital format, it is is still protected by copyright. It's like saying you copied a chapter out of a book and put it onto your webpage. You transformed it from a print format to digital, but you still infringed upon the copyright.

Chances are, nothing will happen if you do this. The copyright owner may in fact allow this because it would be like advertising their work which may bring them more profit. If you look throughout this site, you will notice a LOT of non-licensed costumes, props, models, garage kits etc... Some have been hit with C&Ds but the one-off ones haven't. Its only when you go way above the horizon where radar can hit you, like when you advertise. But look on Etsy...everyone is doing it and profiting from it. Everyone here probably has some copyright infringed material on their display shelf.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back