Urethane cowl care/renovation

Twinsen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,

I'm a little concerned about my Begins Dullam cowl :

As you can see, it does not look good.
I know the screen used cowl wasn't perfect either but since this is a display piece i'd like it to have a nice finish.

I've cleaned it with water and a soft cloth to remove all the dust and dirt but unfortunately once it dried out all the imperfections slowly started to show up again.

What product can I use to obtain a lustrous finish ?

I was thinking about automotive "tire shine" products but I'm not sure.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited:
Re: B.D. Begins cowl "repair"

Armorall is the best way in my opinion, Use quite alot first and then use a clean cloth to wipe it down untill you reach the finish you want.

When I worked in a car detailing shop and people had satin or matte black bumpers that were getting uneven and splotchy in appearance, we rubbed them down with transmission fluid and it really made them look fantastic. Murphy's oil soap may be another good option to try too.

When I worked in a car detailing shop and people had satin or matte black bumpers that were getting uneven and splotchy in appearance, we rubbed them down with transmission fluid and it really made them look fantastic. Murphy's oil soap may be another good option to try too.

Sorry- Must jump in- I don't know what to use but transmission fluid is NOT IT. It will disolve your mask!!!

Sorry- Must jump in- I don't know what to use but transmission fluid is NOT IT. It will disolve your mask!!!

Agreed. I was under the impression (from another hobby) to never apply anything containing petroleum distillates on anything rubber, because it eats away at it. The specific example was using WD40 on rubber o-rings.

My .02

Oh crap, you're right. I totally wasn't thinking of the material he was trying to fix, just the texture and color. :smacks head: Sorry.

No problem TCW :lol

Thank you guys for your advice.

I'll see if I can find some ArmorAll and give it a try :)

Last edited:

Bringing this post back from the grave...

I have been also looking for something to clean my cowls. From what I have read, ArmorAll is NOT the thing to use. Apparently, it will dry up the rubber if you don't apply it regularly. Does anyone know something that would clean and protect?

I once had a book on automotive detailing & the product of choice to protect everything from paint & dash & tire rubber was pure carnauba wax. Some other good uses from Wikipedia such as a mold release agent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnauba_wax

On a side note, I once had a Janty urethane cowl that sat in a smoke free environment & out of the sunlight. After a year or two I decided to try it on & it ripped in my hands quite easily. I couldn't fix it & decided to test another area & it seemed to have lost its elastic properties & was just tearing apart with almost no effort. I'm pretty sure I just got a cowl cast in a bad batch of urethane & this is not meant to scare you, I'm just relaying one of my experiences.

I agree and echo what proximo and cooky have said about the armorall. Plastidip wont stick to urethane. It wooks great on latex but not urethane.

I've potentially got a urethane problem - there is a really thin spot on my cowl in the frown. So thin, almost see-through. What you think I could put on the inside of the cowl to strengthen it? Bondo?

Did anyone ever try using amorall on their cowls? Did it work? And does it come out shiny or matte? Which is it meant to be?

Everytime i wipe it down with a wet wipe it seems to just get dust stuck to it. Would armorall prevent this?

Why do you say only use Amorall Original bobby C? I thought all amoralls were the same as Finhead has said

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back