Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

Thanks Analyzer . . . I feel I still have plenty of work to do and I'm many layers away from the final result . . . and yes I have considered adding a gloss finish to the eyes and mouth and nostrils ... you'll see ... once everything is painted I need to add a matt varnish layer to protect the paintwork and then I'll add some gloss touch ups where appropriate :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
As I wrote in the very beginning of this thread ... I try to waste as less material as possible ... so when I think the painting is done for the day ... I'll mix all the remaining paint together with a drop of water and put it onto the Rancor's main body and inner belly ... and yes he likes a nice belly rub too ;)

Rancor - Upgrade -38.jpg

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Another day working on the Rancor ... today some shading on the arms and shoulders to match evenly with those claws :

Rancor - Upgrade -40.jpg

Then some more work inside the mouth and on the tongue :

Rancor - Upgrade -42.jpg

And some light dental whitening and the start of a bit of shading :

Rancor - Upgrade -43.jpg

So in all a good day painting this beasty ... some more pictures with the added improvements :

Rancor - Upgrade -41.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -44.jpg

© Chaïm Murzan Photography 2019

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Thanks mugatu ... I was hoping you'd show up again ;)... yeah it's been quite a challenge but I'm loving every new layer or adjustment added ... I especially like I can go back and forth if something seems a bit off ... mostly when viewing it the next day, comparing it to the reference pictures o_O

Chaïm

I especially like I can go back and forth if something seems a bit off ... mostly when viewing it the next day, comparing it to the reference pictures o_O

Chaïm

Yes a day away to pull ourselves out of being so deeply involved often gives so much better perspective.

It’s funny, but the Rankor looks so real now with the paint, when I scroll through the last several photos, the first thought that pops into my head with each photo is “awww now I wonder why this Rankor is so angry? Maybe it is in pain? Seems to cry and scream a lot...” LOL

As mugatu suggested I did take a step back ... added just some small touch ups and took some pictures to reflect how far I've come this week :

Rancor - Upgrade -45.jpg

Did some more work on the teeth by adding some darker spots and shading ... touching up his gums a tad lighter and some additional shading :

Rancor - Upgrade -47.jpg

Then I took some shots to check the overall color and if all parts blend nicely together ... I had to add a green filter in Photoshop because the pictures did not reflect real colors accurately :

Rancor - Upgrade -48.jpg

And indeed the closer I get to my goal of recreating the Rancor from The Return of the Jedi ... the more menacing he looks :

Rancor - Upgrade -49.jpg

So what y'all find of the results thusfar?

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Thanks mugatu ... well today I've hit a bit of a dilemma ... here's why ... when looking at the skintone in a frame from the movie :

rancoriscoming.jpeg

... it's a lot darker more redbrown than when compared to this picture of the real puppet in natural light :

Rancor - color test.jpg

Now above picture has been mostly my reference to go to ... and if I continue, my Rancor skin is still not lightbrown enough in color . . . however it's momentarily somewhere inbetween both pictures ... and I also have to consider where in my home I'm going to place this action figure once finished.

As always I put this dilemma to the side for now and continued starting to paint the legs and feet :

Rancor - Upgrade -53.jpg

... whilest finishing those I'll have to go through a whole range of different tones of browns, which will give me an opportunity
to go back and forth on other parts of the beast when I think I mixed the right color for a touch up :

Rancor - Upgrade -51.jpg

Here's a view of the Rancor from head to toe :

Rancor - Upgrade -52.jpg

... and his medium close-up :

Rancor - Upgrade -54.jpg

The shading in above picture is all due to natural daylight ... not paint mind you ... which is also a reason for me not to go really
heavy on shading with a darkbrown/black color all over the Rancor.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

It looks awesome.
If it were me, I’d go the puppet color in the natural light, then as those film filters and lighting changes occur on real life should it not also then change the colors seen on the Rankor like it is in the film?
By the way, great last update to the teeth.

Indeed ... well I wasn't quite happy with some of the lighter splotches that randomly occured whilest painting on the face, so I added a little bit more redbrown to cover them up slightly ... and I have decided to stay somewhere inbetween with the color scheme, because the way film is graded and the endresult on screen is influenced by so many factors which to be honest I'll never recreate inside my living room ... so here's how my Rancor looks in natural light now :

Rancor - Upgrade -55.jpg

So I'll concentrate on painting the legs and finishing his feet ... and then all that remains is adding some color to his backbone.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Rancor's legs . . . several layers, some shading added and I painted the feet and toe-nails . . . not quite done yet, but almost there :

Rancor - Upgrade -58.jpg

And as I mentioned earlier I got my paints from the attic . . . thus some are quite old and dry but by adding a little water I can still use them ... and more importantly I can mix any shade of color I need with just a minimum of paints ... so for those of you interested in what I use to paint this beast, Halliwax, Howlrunner, here's a picture :

Rancor - Upgrade -56.jpg

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

I did a layer of dark wash on the feet yesterday evening and let it dry ... but then the toe-nails became to dark ... so I added a lighter yellowy layer of dry-brushing over it ... but when I woke up this morning I wasn't satisfied ... so I added some darker splotches here and there and this is the result :

Rancor - Upgrade -59.jpg

To get an idea of all the upgrade paintwork done sofar ... here's another picture of the Rancor :

Rancor - Upgrade -60.jpg

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

It's just keeps getting better and better!

I generally go for a balance of what I see on screen vs the models in natural light. On screen is what most people are familiar with and in some cases, the original models were painted a certain way that might not actually be natural or overdone just so they would show up on screen correctly after processing

I think a good example of this is the X-wings. There is a lot of over done patchwork panels that when you see them on screen are a lot more toned down and subtle

Thanks Analyzer ... indeed ... that's why I take pictures inbetween my upgrades, a suggestion I picked up from the Rancor modelmaker in one of the Tested video's. It truly helps to get a good perspective on what works and what doesn't. When you could see my Rancor in person he might be quite different in color, depending on the light of day. So yes a balance between on screen vs natural is exactly what I'm striving for :)

Chaïm

Today I started work on the Rancor's shield on his back . . . I had to paint over the blue splotches to cover them up entirely :

Rancor - Upgrade -62.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -63.jpg

Whilest that paint had to dry, I did some touch ups here and there and then took several pictures to check those details again :

Rancor - Upgrade -64.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -65.jpg

And a picture to give you an overview of my workplace :

Rancor - Upgrade -61.jpg

Now that the Rancor is standing on his feet it's already a different view on the colors added and the way light falls over his skin.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

So I added a yellow brown color to the whole backshield yesterday and today went over it with a browner layer and then a very dirty brown wash, which I also used to dirty up some of its spine, side of his body and top of his head ... so here's how everything is coming together :

Rancor - Upgrade -66.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -67.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -68.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -69.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -70.jpg

I'm slightly contemplating another dirty layer over his spine and backshield with some more dark green mixed in ... since I already added some green to the brown wash, it didn't show up enough though it made that wash quite dark brown. I'm going to let it dry for now and see how I feel about it lateron.

Any feedback by y'all is always welcome and appreciated.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

First I took a full frame picture today in daylight, to see what I had already accomplished yesterday :

Rancor - Upgrade -73.jpg

Then some pictures to check the result of his backshield :

Rancor - Upgrade -71.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -72.jpg

Then I decided to give the spine, shoulders and his backshield a slight wash of dirty green :

Rancor - Upgrade -74.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -75.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -76.jpg

You can barely see that dirty green wash in the pictures but trust me it's there. Then I noticed the spikes on his shoulder-shields were not high-lighted enough ... so I added a dirty yellow dry-brushing to each of the tips of them :

Rancor - Upgrade -77.jpg

Then I took another close-up to see how much progress I made today :

Rancor - Upgrade -78.jpg

And another full frame to end today's work with :

Rancor - Upgrade -80.jpg

Almost there with the paintjob, don't you think?

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back