Unidentified Rocketeer statue (pic heavy)

Dak

Hey guys, I could use your help. Today I found a Rocketeer statue at my local antiques store. I have no idea who the maker is, or exactly how old. There are no maker's marks on it at all. Judging by the thick layer of dust and cobwebs and the chipped paint, I'd put it at 15-20 years old. It stands about 12-14" high, is made of a very light cast resin, and is very obviously hand painted. It is glued down to a cheap wooden stand. The statue also includes a cast resin helmet with thin black film for the lenses. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit on the statue's head.

I've been collecting Rocketeer memorabilia for a few years now, and I've never come upon anything like this in my searches. Was it a model kit? An unproduced statue prototype? A production maquette? The owners of the antiques shop had no idea what it was; it was actually labeled as "Buck Rogers". The piece is priced at $150. I'm most likely going back tomorrow to grab it, hopefully for a bit less. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the statue's possible origins.

Larger sized images, as well as a few pics of the statue in its case, can be found here: Flickr: Dak_4206's Photostream

8543494694_9e5462d455_b.jpg

8543494186_1ec09ac2db_b.jpg

8542393595_fa4a79a9bf_b.jpg

8543491934_37345b7b17_b.jpg

8543492354_375fe19286_b.jpg

8543491532_71bc28e938_b.jpg

8542391977_6c564c0dd7_b.jpg

8543493782_47c28ab60b_b.jpg

8543493436_1d6a76416e_b.jpg

I think that's a buildup of the Screamin' model kit? I seem to remember it was the only piece of licensed gear that bore Billy Campbell's likeness at the time...

I'd say it was the Screamin' kit too. It has the big heels and the wraparound barrel tip/sight that the Screamin' kit has.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info. I'd never heard of this kit before. Now that I know what to look for, I see there's an upopened kit going for $150 on ebay right now. What do you think this particular assembled and painted piece might be worth?

Dunno about $150 for that, as the gun's been damaged, the paintjob's chipped and there are wrinkles in the helmet lenses. If you keep an eye on eBay, I'd think you could score an unbuilt original for a good deal less than $150.

save yourself the money and purchase a kit on ebay......

the kit isnt worth the 150 and a painted completed kit isnt worth 150....

it is better to wait for a good price...then buy what is available for a ridiculous price....they are not rare....so a few will pop up sooner or later

the kits normally sell on ebay for $20-50

Well, if you're planning on stripping it and redoing it from scratch, I would say $10 to $15. Though I side with everyone else on getting a new one off of eBay – you'll end up with a much better product that, even with paints and such, is going to run half of what they are asking.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna see if they'll take around $25 for it in light of this information. If not, I'll probably start watching ebay for it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back