Underworld: Silver Nitrate Bullets

Fetthunter

Sr Member
Re-watched Underworld tonight, and I wondered if anyone had made the liquid Silver Nitrate bullets.

Instead of being able to enjoy the movie, instead I was focused on "Acrylic slugs, Mercury for the Silver Nitrate, and laser-cut aluminum casings" through the whole thing. :rolleyes

If anyone has done these, or has pics, please post. Seems like a cool, small, simple prop to add to the collection. :thumbsup

Thanks,

J

id avoid the mercury.... it isnt really close to the movie effects, its pretty lethal if it gets in your bloodstream, and its hard to get ahold of.

you CAN use silver acrylic paint in a gel medium though :)

guess what i tried to build after seeing the movie? :lol

chris

Originally posted by hydin@Jan 22 2006, 02:07 AM
id avoid the mercury.... it isnt really close to the movie effects, its pretty lethal if it gets in your bloodstream, and its hard to get ahold of.

you CAN use silver acrylic paint in a gel medium though :)

guess what i tried to build after seeing the movie? :lol

chris
[snapback]1165028[/snapback]​

The only side effects I've had from playing with Mercury is slight hearing loss, but hey, it did wonders for Beethoven. :lol

I thought about silver paint, since I have some that looks *just* like the Silver Nitrate, but I know it would stick to the inside of whatever the slug was made out of. :( The reason I was going with Mercury is that it won't stick to most anything. ;) (on a side note, don't walk into an Autozone parts store and ask out loud "Hey. Do you guys sell MERCURY SWITCHES?". It'll make everyone in the store stop and stare at you like you just pulled out an Uzi, guaranteed. :lol )

Hmmm... Off to research Silver Nitrate. :love

:::EDIT:::

After some research, I have concluded that Silver Nitrate (AgNO3) is not the way to go. :confused

Back to something a little more "friendly" to use... :D

i experimented a bit, and i was using those little ..... whatchadoodles... the little things you get from the gumball machines for a quarter.

a very VERY slight coating of vaseline on there (barely visable) and a gel mixture worked out pretty well. i tried a watery gel mixture, and it worked pretty good except i can see it leaking pretty easily. never did figure out a good "stop leak" seal for it that wouldnt interfere with the bullets themselves.

that and i never really got a good enough looking "bowl" for the actual bullet. couldnt find hollow castings that size, and dont have the ability to vacform. the bullets were surprisingly easy to get (shell casing that is). id love to get some purple acrylic and a lathe thats worth half a crap and turn out some UV bullets. a little LED in the back of the casing, a cell battery, and boom, instant light up bullets :D

that progressed a little father than the silvery idea. actually, that sidestepped into my "liquid adamantium" project that i had in the works for a bit. thought itd look cool next to my wolvy claws.

chris

heres your solution for the silver nitrate in the bullets. metallic flake. The same stuff used in paint mixing.
I think you can order if from Dupont, just fine silver metallic flake mix. Its a dry powder that you can mix with water.

Or similar to the "Liquid Adamantium" they used in X2, I believe it was the Metallic Flake and a water corn syrup mix to give it the thicker viscosity. and probably some metallic paint thrown in with it. But yeah...I would just get the Metallic flake powder, and mix it with water...then it wont adhere to the acrylic and so you can shake it and see it and it wont stick to the insides...botta bing, botta boom.

That reminds me... I have a 2 lb. canister of metal "powder" that I bought to add to resin to "cold cast" certain items. When you mix it into the resin, and the resin sets, it looks like metal. You have to tap it to tell it's resin. The powder is ultra-fine and is a mix of tin, nickel, and a slight amount of copper. I bet that would work, mixed with something like a clear corn syrup. :D

My problem is getting an undamaged slug. I can get all the casings I want at the range, but all the slugs are buried into the safety stop behind the targets and are smushed to kingdom come. :(

What caliber was she shooting? .40? .45? I'd assume it wasn't 9mm.

i think she was using an h&k usp. i think (emphasis on "ambien hasnt kicked in yet" think) those are .45.

wakal would probably know, but i dunno where he is right now :(

also, if you want to buy just bullet blanks, they sell just the actual projectile parts without the shells. or molds if you want to try to make your own "positive" ones to mold or vacform.

i made a small set of hollow point kryptonite bullets from season 3 of smallville a while back. had to buy a friggin bagful of shells AND bullets to mold and cast up the 4 i needed for the clip :lol

luckily i managed to pawn off the rest at the local gun range to a guy who reloads all kinda ammo. least i got some cash back outta the deal.

chris

Originally posted by hydin@Jan 22 2006, 08:38 AM
i think she was using an h&k usp. i think (emphasis on "ambien hasnt kicked in yet" think) those are .45.

[snapback]1165070[/snapback]​

Selenes 2 Guns in the movie that have the titanium slide actions are Walther P99s. Those guns only come in 9mm and .40 S&W

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/Underworld

The Gun she fires in the shooting range at the statue head (with the silver nitrate bullets) is an HK USP MATCH wich comes in 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 S&W (same gun as the Tomb Raider Gun)

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/TombRaider

And of course her other 2 guns that are automatic hand guns are modified Beretta 9mms.

The Gun that Kraven fires the Silver Nitrate at Lucian is also an HK USP Match.

Hope that helps...

Wow, they have some cool stuff for sale. Damn expensive, but it's cool stuff. Looks like good photo ref for creating your own UV bullets and magazines though ;)

Njc---------------------------

The picture that they have of the UV bullet would be identical to the Silver Nitrate bullet, in that it was "copied exactly", according to Selene after seeing the first one at the firing range. ;)

product_uwe2050.jpg

Just make that solid resin slug hollow, and fill it with the liquid silver. :thumbsup

Those bullets look way off. Are you sure they're the real deal? They look more like rifle rounds, not the pistol rounds. And the close-up of the pistol rounds showed a radius in the cutouts, not that etched square.

...botta bing, botta boom.

You mean "Bada Bing, Bada Boom"...? ;)

Here's the best I can do.
As you can see, they're nothing like those other rounds. Those must either be a rifle round we never saw, or a "licensed" version. Either way, I'd rather have the 9MM (which makes the most sense, since they are the most interchangeable caliber for the three guns mentioned) rounds.

Silver Nitrate Round:

[image]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/2379504/1138194809733_Underworld_Rounds_SN_01.JPG[/image]

UV Round. Looks like forced perspective to me. Notice how they only show it from the front. It appears longer for the batteries or something. Otherwise, the length could only be .357 caliber.

[image]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/2379504/1139830842504_Underworld_Rounds_UV_03.JPG[/image]
[image]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/2379504/1140097150508_Underworld_Rounds_UV_02.JPG[/image]
[image]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/2379504/1138362568582_Underworld_Rounds_UV_01.JPG[/image]

Sorry for the brightness on the UV caps, but it's hard to take pics of light. The casings look identical to the Nitrate rounds- except for appearance of the added length.

Originally posted by Fetthunter@Jan 22 2006, 02:01 AM
That reminds me...  I have a 2 lb. canister of metal "powder" that I bought to add to resin to "cold cast" certain items.  When you mix it into the resin, and the resin sets, it looks like metal.  You have to tap it to tell it's resin.  The powder is ultra-fine and is a mix of tin, nickel, and a slight amount of copper.
[snapback]1165057[/snapback]​

Could you tell us what kind of brand that powder is and where you bought it? I'd love to know because I have a project this would be perfect for.

Thanks

Berry

Originally posted by trekkieb47+Jan 22 2006, 02:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trekkieb47 @ Jan 22 2006, 02:55 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Fetthunter
@Jan 22 2006, 02:01 AM
That reminds me...  I have a 2 lb. canister of metal "powder" that I bought to add to resin to "cold cast" certain items.  When you mix it into the resin, and the resin sets, it looks like metal.  You have to tap it to tell it's resin.  The powder is ultra-fine and is a mix of tin, nickel, and a slight amount of copper.
[snapback]1165057[/snapback]​

Could you tell us what kind of brand that powder is and where you bought it? I'd love to know because I have a project this would be perfect for.

Thanks

Berry
[snapback]1165282[/snapback]​
[/b]

It's actually only 1 lb, now that I look at it. Feels heavier, though.

I bought it HERE. Scroll down to "Metal Powders". I bought the Nickel/Silver. :thumbsup

Originally posted by Rodann@Jan 22 2006, 01:51 PM
Here's the best I can do. 
As you can see, they're nothing like those other rounds.  Those must either be a rifle round we never saw, or a "licensed" version.  Either way, I'd rather have the 9MM (which makes the most sense, since they are the most interchangeable caliber for the three guns mentioned) rounds.

Silver Nitrate Round:

[image]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/2379504/1138194809733_Underworld_Rounds_SN_01.JPG[/image]
[snapback]1165245[/snapback]​

That pic looks (to me) like a 9mm, though it's hard to discern the difference between a .40 and a 9mm, being only about 1mm difference between them. :)

I'd probably go with the 9mm, too. :thumbsup

what would be the best and/or easiest way to do the slug? make a mold and brush the inside of it with clear resin? vacuumform some sort of thin, clear plastic over a 9mm slug? I'm sure there are other ways... Maybe milling a block of Acrylic, or something?

Whatcha think? :confused

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back