Uhhh...Can someone tell me what this is??

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TFrosst, Mar 4, 2006.

1. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't remember seeing any threads on this or any pictures except for this one that I saw about a day ago. I know MR has the license for marvel but why would they choose to make some random spider-man mask and not something like the movie mask? Does anyone have any more info on this piece??

[​IMG]

2. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, I'll say it.

THAT, is one Fugly mask. :confused

Let's hope it's a bad proto.

3. arkangel

arkangel Well-Known Member

I think they are going for the comic book look as opposed to the movie. It's a good representation, imo.

Clark

4. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

I agree, it's definately the comic version, which looks very nice.

5. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

for a proto, it looks nice.

if thats the finished profuct, i gotta say im pretty :(

its a basic hood mask, with plastic vacformed eyes and what looks like foamie or elastic webs on top. anyone here (including me) could make one like that.

the COSPA mask from japan looks better.

again, proto, :D, final, :(

chris

6. TFrosst

Why didn't they just make a movie spider-man mask? everything else they've shown so far from marvel has been from movie (hasn't it?) and not comic so why the change?

7. goldenage

goldenage Well-Known Member

No more info - but a big thumbs up from me, I'd rather see this done right than a movie style mask.

+ A few other pics from toyfair 06

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. arkangel

arkangel Well-Known Member

Didn't notice that the eyes were vacuformed. I like it even more now.
    Larger McFarlane-esque eyes would be cool too, but it looks like they're going for the classic Spidey look.

Clark

9. Rylo

I see nothing "classic" about this style mask.

What artist and era are you referring to?

Raised webbing, brick pattern in the red, Huge eyes...C'mon.
    I hate the buldging eye, new school, Japanime look.

I don't see anything Romita Sr. in that mask. Here's a great take on the classic Spidey Look/ Loved these 1:1 busts.

10. TFrosst

That's another thing. They've already released comic-style busts. Why do this? This reminds of the new CG animation Spider-man cartoon. As Rylo noted, nothing classic about it.

11. Frankel Halresien

Frankel Halresien New Member

Anyone know if its wareable or just a bust?

12. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

id like to know that aswell i hope its wearable

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It actually reminds me of the mask worn in the live action spidey show from....I think it was the 70s.
    [​IMG]

14. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, in case MR is reading... Theirs is a nice enough mask. Just not one I'd want to collect.

15. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

This may be one of the cheapest looking licensed props I've seen. Look's like someone had an extra red stocking & some foamies :unsure. Let's hope it's just a proto, if they turn it around it can be a kool prop :thumbsup .

-Zoid

16. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

The eyes are WAY too big, and to be fair, whatever mannequin head they have it on does not do it justice- too narrow in the face. Like somebody said- it looks like Manga. Ultraman maybe, but not Spidey.

And that cheap black elastic strap material they used- INDIVIDUAL pieces.? You can see spaces between them, fer crissakes (AND the frayed ends..). God forbid somebody with a big head were to put it on..................It would look like a "connect the dots" Spidey.

If it's a PROTO, okay, but if the finished products look like this, then forget it. I can do better. For one, the webbing should be a rubberized gel type material to even come CLOSE to what it's supposed to look like. And the eyes should be about 30% smaller.

17. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

It looks like Ultimate spider man to me, and i'm not a big fan of the ultimate line :(

I would be all over it if it looked like this

[​IMG]

18. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Ultimate SM is the one where Pete's still in high school, right?

19. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

yeah but the story and characters are way diffrent. I'm not in to it at all
    some of the costume changes on some of the best spidey bad guys are just horrible.
    it's a sad attment at making spider man cool to todays kids, or people just now getting in to spider from the new movies.

20. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

I saw it as an attempt to bite off the popularity of Smallville (the whole teen-angsty adolescent thing), which in turn is simply Buffy replaced with Superman.

So, in conclusion:

Ultimate SM = Smallville Ripoff = Buffy Ripoff

21. Darth Bill

Darth Bill Well-Known Member

What. Ever. :rolleyes

Russ

22. Rylo

Hey, I agree the mask looks like * but don't see what it has to has to do with Buffy and Smallville. That's an insane topic for another thread.

Let's keep it on track.

23. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

The whole teen-angsty villain/monster of the week "Thank god for my group of friends," thing began with Buffy. Sorry if it hurts.

Edit: That came out a bit harsh. But if someone is going to claim that these are super original ideas, that's as absurd as looking at old BSG and going, "Uh-uh. There's no Star Wars in this at all."

It shouldn't diminish your liking of it. But you shouldn't make it more than it is, either.

24. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

DERAIL.

actually, the ultimates universe wasnt setup as a "teen angst ridden drama of the month". it was setup as an alternate universe "new update" to marvel. new origins, new charactors, new everything really.

spiderman deals with teen angst styled emotional issues, cause, well, hes like 16 years old in the comic. in ultimate avengers first run, steve (capn america) beats the hell out of giant man for being an abusive husband.

its sort of a retelling/rehash of the best of the best of the marvel universe. has some memorable moments in there. tops being cap dropping a tank on hulk, cap kicking hulk in the juevos to get his attention, colossus smashing proteus with a car then apologizing to psylocke at a party for smashing her with the car (proteus had taken over her body, her "psyche" went to this asian chick, intro of psylocke), magneto being the reason xavier is confined to a wheelchair, hulk vs wolverine with the first round being hulk ripping him in half and lobbing his legs 4 miles up a mountain....

theres a lot there. if you paint it all with a broad brush of "all of it sucks because of teen angst", you miss a ton of other stuff in there. hell i didnt even touch the FF series, which has been a blast since issue 1.

BACK ON COURSE.

hopping back to the mask though.... for a proto of "hey, everyone, we are making a spiderman mask." its... well it tells us they are making a spidey mask. hurrah. if thats what the final will look like, igh.

everyone has thier favorite look, mcfarlane, larson, byrne, romita (sr + jr), perez, etc. they need something either DAMNED new and interesting to make it outrank the normal costume hood, or just pick a design and run with it. give us the movie version, or the black costume version or something. this mixing/matching styles doesnt really suit the final product very well if this is what itll look like.

and is it just me, or does that head look really tiny? maybe its the giant bug eyes (kinda digging em a bit), but it just looks... small.

kinda wish they would do a leather capn america cowl though. that would be pretty cool.

chris

25. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Bro, I didn't just dismiss them because of the teen-angst thing. Just said it was not a new idea, especially for them to do that with superheroes.

I'd like Captain America in his newer designed "retro/WWII" look. The one where he's got some soldier garb.

26. AndySertin

AndySertin Well-Known Member

Wow, if that's wearable, I'm totally game. Come on IRONMAN.....