Type of Foam

Voodoomagik

A buddy of mine has a mask he wants to foam fill and asked me what is in mine,as I haven't a clue I figured I would come here. What foam do most people use to fill a latex mask? He plans on wearing it,just wants to fill out the crown area of the head so it holds itself up. Any help would be much appreciated.

two part polyfoam ..probably a 4lb foam would work. Mix the A and B sides very fast ( ratios are different with different foams ..i'd use a digital scale) pour in very, VERY small batches ( the expansion can be anywhere between 4 to 10 times). I repaeat the small batch portion of this message because it is safe to assume that this mask is out of the mold. Too much foam and it will fill the whole cavity of the mask ..then keep expanding outward, pushing against and deforming the mask. Small batches can be poured directly into the crown..then holding the mask upsidedown by the neck, slush the foam around the area you want filled until it starts to rise. When it does start to rise, DONT TOUCH IT!! ..it will collapse, turning into a hard mess. If you overfill a bit, you can always cut or pull some out when it fully cures. Mixing polyfoam can be tricky for a first timer. If this not something that you want to risk a mask on, simply cut upholstery foam up and glue it in with an industrial shoe cement such as Barge

Which works better in your opinion PT?

I am absorbing as much knowledge about mask creating as I can. I want to start working on getting a mask created and I know you are very knowledgable on the process. B)

what works better as far as? If you mean using a two part polyfoam rather then cutting up foam, well Id go with the polyfoam route. Especially if you are making your own mask. the benefit of having a mold is that you can do all the foaming while the latex is cured in the mold still. Even better if you have a core or armature of your own head. Simply coat the armature in polyfoam release..place into the mold ( lining up the eyes and mouth where you want them) then pour the foam mix around ..it will be foamed exactly to your head dimension. If there are areas that you feel need to be removed after for a better fit .. at the ears to hear better for example, simply pull out the areas of cured foam

If you want to wear this after the foam is in it, make sure you squeeze it as much as you can after the foam is fully cured and wait like 2 weeks. Also, wear a respirator when using the foam and work in a well ventilated area. Polyurethane foam releases cyanide gas when it foams up and the flexible stuff releases the gas for another week or so after foaming is complete.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back