TWOK Uniform Guide

does anybody have a greeblie guide for an accurate Admiral Kirk? Sources (Rodd.comm notwithstanding) would be great too-

I think I can help. ;)

TWOKAdm003.jpg

I upgraded my WOK uniform to an accurate admiral Kirk last year.

First off the rank pin:

NewRank001.jpg

This is Kirk's rear admiral rank. You need two of these (one for the shoulder, one for the left sleeve). They should both be the same size (although I've never seen a smaller version of the admiral pin).

Rodd.com sells the most accurate ones, but I got mine from katarra8 off ebay (yes she hasn't had the greatest reputation, however she always delivers with items she already has on hand).

Next the service band and pins:

twokhd0763sm.jpg

The pictures in the other thread on Kirk's screenused uniform have much better pics of the pips and squeaks. Basically you need 4 long pins and 3 ten year service pins put on in this order- / @ / @ / @ /

This is the only part of my uniform that is wrong and I can't change it. I have four ten year pins and 3 long pins. When I discovered my mistake and planned to correct it, the holes made by those pins had been in that material for 15 years. The white material had also been slightly discoloured by the metal of the pins so I left mine as is.

The left sleeve also has an "admiral's braid" just above the white service band. In Star Trek II they used the black and gold checker pattern band also found on the old BSG uniforms.

cda2_1.JPG

Again katarra8 supplies this and will provide enough to go around your sleeve.

Star Trek III and on they came up with a different multi-coloured admiral braid that can be seen in the screenused thread. Unfortunately I don't know if any reproductions are easily available.

(This next part is a bit difficult to explain in words so I hope it makes sense)- The rank pin on the left sleeve has a little piece of material that it goes on, rather than the pin being placed directly onto the sleeve:

twokhd0763sm.jpg

It's that little round piece of material the the rank pin is attached to.

NewRank003.jpg

I reproduced it myself with material that was as close a match as possible.

Now the jacket braid:

twokhd0096.jpg

500217_01.jpg

This is known as a soutache or Russian braid. It is actually a double braid rather than a single. You can make out the double braid in this pic of the braid on my pant seam:

NewRank002.jpg

The size you want is 5mm. Kirk's braid was metallic gold with what appears to be a bit of black in it. I got mine from a local sewing supply store.

Oh yeah- the braid goes on the pants too. :)

Well I "think" this about covers it. Any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Kevin

Last edited:
Many thanks!

One thing I still haven't figured out is what model his watch is.

Although it might be this...

strek01.jpg

:angel :lol

No seriously though- if anyone DOES know what his watch is I'd really appreciate the info!

Kevin

Last edited:
Is there a way I can make the white detailed turtleneck for the TWOK uniform? Is there a guide that people have had success with? I know you can buy the pattern on rodd.com, but I was wondering if there was something more readily available. Or is there someone that sells these that is reputable? I wasn’t sure if you guys in the know had a go to place or procedure for the turtleneck.

startrekuniformguide.com is gone. I'm planning a TWOK uniform but I don't know what all the pins on the left arm, the bands, and exact nature of the pins on the shoulder strap mean. Is there a reference guide? Can anyone point me to a breakdown somewhere. I looked for this and all I can find are references to the online game or other dead websites. I was hoping this information had been consolidated somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.

Hey there!
Just to let you know that StarTrekuniformguide will be back,he is going to put more info on how to build the uniforms. So keep a lookout for it and if i see it up before you do I will let you all know!

Last edited:
Is there a way I can make the white detailed turtleneck for the TWOK uniform?

I actually am going to make a second undershirt for myself with a store bought white turtleneck sweater, and reproducing the trapunto collar myself by hand.

While a decent reproduction the one I already own isn't "quite" a trapunto collar, and has full length sleeves (which in the summer isn't exactly weather friendly ;) )

I've already purchased the turtleneck. So I plan on hand sewing the "ribs" in the collar, and filling them with cotton batting. I also plan to make this a "sleeveless" version. I'll post pics here once I get underway.

I do have some skill at sewing, so it's either going to be awesome... or totally suck. :lol

Kevin

Here's how I'm doing it: I'm using padding between two layers of the shirt material, with 1/2 inch stitiching to simulate the trapunto.

SavikShirt2copy.jpg

Then, the rest of the shirt is pretty easy. (Especially if you have an overlock machine!)

SavikShirt5copy.jpg

SavikShirt8copy.jpg

Here's how I'm doing it: I'm using padding between two layers of the shirt material, with 1/2 inch stitiching to simulate the trapunto.

I actually am going to make a second undershirt for myself with a store bought white turtleneck sweater, and reproducing the trapunto collar myself by hand...

Thank you guys so much! You expertise is very much appreciated! I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll post pics, success or fail.

I think I can help. ;)

* snip*

The left sleeve also has an "admiral's braid" just above the white service band. In Star Trek II they used the black and gold checker pattern band also found on the old BSG uniforms.

cda2_1.JPG

Again katarra8 supplies this and will provide enough to go around your sleeve.

Star Trek III and on they came up with a different multi-coloured admiral braid that can be seen in the screenused thread. Unfortunately I don't know if any reproductions are easily available.

*snip*

Well I "think" this about covers it. Any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Kevin

The Admiral's sleeve braid from The Search For Spock on seem to get progressively bigger with each "star". I saw a display someone made of all the Admiral's ranks and sleeve braids, and of course, now I can't find it to link here.

Is there a standard for the number of checkerboard rows there should be for each "Admiral's star"? Examples: Commodore: one row; Rear Admiral: two rows; Vice Admiral: three rows; Admiral: four rows; Fleet Admiral: five rows.

Is there a standard for the number of checkerboard rows there should be for each "Admiral's star"? Examples: Commodore: one row; Rear Admiral: two rows; Vice Admiral: three rows; Admiral: four rows; Fleet Admiral: five rows.

This might be the picture you're looking for:

attachment.php

In ST:III and beyond they no longer used the black/gold checkerboard braid and came up with a multi-coloured custom braid. From top to bottom the ranks (IIRC) are:

-Admiral Starfleet (or Fleet Admiral)
-Admiral
-Vice Admiral
-Rear Admiral
-Commodore

Hope this helps.

Kevin

As for how much Anovos' TWOKs might cost...I don't really know, but I would hazzard a guess that they would run around a grand for jacket, shirt, and pants. And if its below that price, that's a gift and every Star Trek fan should by two on general principle. Of course that wouldn't include me because I can't afford that (not with a kid coming anyway), but you see what I mean. :)

John

I had to dig for it but I found what I remembered Anovos had said on their Facebook page last month:
Nemesis we are trying to keep everything below the 1K line but the TWOK, well be prepared to spend. This is an all wool item and not only that... a wool that top grade and HARD to find... and many of the elements on this jacket is hand stitched.

It doesn't sound like 1K is even possible for a TWOK replica.

I had to dig for it but I found what I remembered Anovos had said on their Facebook page last month:

It doesn't sound like 1K is even possible for a TWOK replica.

That's fine, I don't mind paying for quality. I just wish I had a target date range at least so I knew how to structure my budget for the ANOVOS TWOK uniform. Does anyone know a the order launch date, give or take a few months or so?

I actually am going to make a second undershirt for myself with a store bought white turtleneck sweater, and reproducing the trapunto collar myself by hand.

I've already purchased the turtleneck. So I plan on hand sewing the "ribs" in the collar, and filling them with cotton batting. I also plan to make this a "sleeveless" version. I'll post pics here once I get underway.

Kevin

Well it only took 5 months for me to get started after saying I'd do this... Better late than never. :lol

I'll start by saying I'm no Felgacarb (;))- but I can hand sew a straight line. :)

attachment.php

So it has begun! I'm making the ribs about 3/4" wide (I think... I just want them to look equally wide :unsure :lol).

attachment.php

It's filled with batting here too. I did this first "rib" in about five minutes... Now I have about, oh I don't know, maybe another 50 or so to go. :lol

I'll post again when I have it done.

EDIT-

attachment.php

This is actually turning out a little better than I expected! :)

And I figure I should have this done in a day or two depending on how long I keep at it. It's actually easier than I thought. :thumbsup

Kevin

Last edited:
Well I took a little longer than I anticipated (mostly from lack of spare time), but the collar is done!

attachment.php

Since taking this picture I've actually pullled out some of the batting as I felt the ribs looked too puffy; more like little pillows than trapunto. :lol

I've cut off one of the sleeves and hemmed it into a short sleeve (I'm making this the short sleeve "background" version that hopefully will be a bit more "summer friendly"). Still have to do the other sleeve and the undershirt will be done. :thumbsup

Kevin

Hey Kevin, that came out darn good looking- especially for all hand stitching!
I was actually thinking mine doesn't look quite poofy enough and considering adding more batting... yours is looking pretty good to me...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back