Tutorial DIY DC-17 Clone Trooper Pistol (FINISHED!)

Well I figured it out and got it working. I had to download an older version of the Arduino software. I was able able to do the blink test and soldered a resistor to an LED for the first time and did the fading test. Played with the timing a bit. That's as far as I got. The instructions CD that came with the kit is a mini CD so I have no way to play it. This is some complex stuff. Trying not to get discouraged yet as I would like to see this through.

An older version?

Why? What version are you running?

I'll bet everything is also 'on-line'.. do a search.

Also.. the IDE has some great stuff (code) to look at and study.

The Blink and Blink without Delay should be understood fully to help with further projects.

Also, the links I posted above are great places to start building your understanding of how things work.

I originally downloaded the latest version of the Arduino software , but when I would go to upload the sketches, I would keep getting the error message. So I looked it up on YouTube and found a video where a guy explained that some of the sketches are old and out of date. So he suggested to download an older version of the software. It worked. And I spent the better part of yesterday watching videos and doing online searches. I think today I will start researching what I need for my project. I also found a video showing how to program the mini pro without the USB module.

Last edited:
What version?

What error?

What sketch was giving the error?

You can use your UNO to program the Pro-Mini if you want..... (if you ordered the removable chip kind of UNO)..

but its a lot hassle, when you can just use a $2.0 USB/TTL serial programmer..

And (IMHO at least) are no where near ready to be using the Pro-Mini yet.. (thats the final step.. to load your tested code onto the Pro-Mini once you are satisfied with everything)

You should use a fairly newer IDE.. if not the most current (stable) release. how far back did you have to go? Usually there are updated libraries.. instead of using older IDE's..

If you want to just jump into your project and requirements..without walking through any tutorials.. go ahead.

Good luck.

Last edited:
HA..

I guess that reads a bit 'mean'..(looking back) sorry. I should remember to use more smileys... :)

it wasnt meant to be!..LOL... just some suggestions about the IDE.. (not sure how far back you went) but more current versions offer options/features that make things easier some times.. (also how to 'set the settings' for specific board types..etc)

also about the project vs tutorials.. that wasnt meant to be rude. (its your choice!) :)

I sometimes 'have' to have a project goal in mind.. so I have something to work toward. (instead of aimlessly learning or doing random things)..

I just thought since you are waiting and so new.. that some tutorials will help you understand any advice or suggestions from others/myself.. or even when you search for project details, the information would make more sense.

Did little 'testing' to get an idea of the force/torque needed to lift these optic measure/dispensers...

I did not find a kitchen scale anywhere..

so I grabbed a hooby/rc servo:

RadioShack Servo #2730766

Looks to be a size up from there #2730765 (micro) model...

(got these when my local RS was going out of business and got a "Motor Pack" for Arduino kit for like $5.00 or whatever..

The initial (bigger) servo didnt seem to have any issue with lifting/pushing the lever in (up?)...

while it was awkward.. because I had to rig up a quick way to mount the dispenser and hold the servo...

if I could somehow laser cut a special shaped 'arm' to lift it more vertically..

or even using 2? one on each side of it? (with some sort of 'bar' (piece) to make the connection?)

I also tried to measure the throw.. to see if that expensive linear servo would even work.. and I believe it would.. I think has 20mm throw? so roughly .78 or so?

This I believe comes out to be .70 or so? .75 for sure would be enough.. 1 .in would give me some wiggle room on mounting however of course

(are there any sort of scissor jacks for geared servos perhaps? a nice micro/metal one would fit the bill here too! with 1.+ inch of travel would work!)

That linear servo seems to be a great fit, every time I circle back around!... (I havent been able to find a used or even an alternate brands of this..are they the only game in town for micro linear servos like that?)

Ran into some issues. My laptop will not run the Arduino software version 1.8.6.
It won't even run version 1.8.5. I followed a YouTube video step by step trying to combine the "DigitalReadSerial" sketch with the "Blink" sketch. Got to the very end and when I went to verify it I got an error message. I didn't write it down. I should have. Thinking maybe because I was using the old software. Gotta get a new laptop. The one I have is starting to give me too many problems.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back