Turning a graflex into the Last Jedi Lighsaber

Lightsaberman

Hello All

I have a Graflex and would like to find the correct T strips and bolts and belt loop to attach to make it into the Last Jedi light saber (I know the original had dark screws on the T Strips).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best conversion kits or where I can source this stuff please?

Many thanks.

For the version from The Last Jedi, I'd go here and get the version with the resin grips: Graflex TFA/TLJ set | WannaWanga (Though metallic tape was used on the bottom of the prop, rather than the metal disk in the kit.)

The knurling on the glass eye was ground off for TLJ, revealing the brass beneath. Roman sells a replica if you don't want to do that on your own: Graflex Brass Eye - Roman Props | Roman's Empire . (There's also a fellow in the Graflex Addicts Support Group on FB who has sold vintage bezels in the past, and has turned down the knurling on his lathe for free. You can ask there if he still has some available.)

The dark screws on the grips were a feature of some of the sabers in ESB; the lightsaber varies slightly from version to version. You can read more in the Lightsaber Prop Guide at http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/SWLB_May_2019.pdf

For the version from The Last Jedi, I'd go here and get the version with the resin grips: Graflex TFA/TLJ set | WannaWanga (Though metallic tape was used on the bottom of the prop, rather than the metal disk in the kit.)

The knurling on the glass eye was ground off for TLJ, revealing the brass beneath. Roman sells a replica if you don't want to do that on your own: Graflex Brass Eye - Roman Props | Roman's Empire . (There's also a fellow in the Graflex Addicts Support Group on FB who has sold vintage bezels in the past, and has turned down the knurling on his lathe for free. You can ask there if he still has some available.)

The dark screws on the grips were a feature of some of the sabers in ESB; the lightsaber varies slightly from version to version. You can read more in the Lightsaber Prop Guide at http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/SWLB_May_2019.pdf

Well said Drew!

A HUGE thank you Drew. I was confident that I would get a thorough and knowledgeable answer on this forum. You didn't disappoint!

Glad I could help.

To install the rivets you'll need a rivet gun. I have a super low end one, I believe made by Arrow. You should be able to pick one up from a hardware store easily. I'm sure you can find examples of use, or instructions for how to install a pop rivet on youtube. Good luck with your project!

20191019_130813.jpg

It's a very fun project!

Nice work on your saber. Looks fantastic. I recently bought a vintage Graflex for only $15 at a junk shop that I definitely wish to convert. Is yours an original or a replica?

Thanks,
Dane
$15!!!!!!! Holy smokes! Wow!

Mines a The Graflex Shop replica.

$15!!!!!!! Holy smokes! Wow!

Mines a The Graflex Shop replica.

I know! Crazy... I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the shelf. I think the lady didn't know what it was. I bought two SW movies with it so that should've been enough of a hint, lol. Mine is not the "Folmer" flash, but it's still an original. Here's some pics.

IMG_7213.1.jpgIMG_7214.1.jpgIMG_7215.1.jpgIMG_7216.1.jpgIMG_7217.1.jpg

Yours is a beautiful replica... so shiny!

Website isnt letting me insert quotes atm -

With a pop rivet gun, you have to drill the holes first. And you'll want to drill the most exact, closest hole you can. Best to go a little small and open it up a hair until the rivet can slide into place, if you don't have the exact drill bit size.

Then you drop the rivet in, ball side down, and insert the rod into the guns tip. Push down and squeeze!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back