Turning a graflex into the Last Jedi Lighsaber

I know what you mean, but it just doesn't look right with such a gap. Oh, yes I have tried pushing up and pushing down but no luck :-(

I had the same problem with the grip length. Roy's measurements assume that 3 cell bottoms are 92mm past the clamp; both replica bottoms and the one vintage I have stick out 94mm. What I did was model copies of the grips that were a few mm longer and have them printed on Shapeways. That may not be an option for you, though.

I believe the measurements for Roys resin grips are taken directly from a resin casting of the original prop so they should be accurate. Also, if you havent already taken this into account, make sure the grips start at the beginning of the rolled 'lip' instead of sitting directly at the bottom of the flash, if that makes any sense. That should give you a mm or so.

I believe the measurements for Roys resin grips are taken directly from a resin casting of the original prop so they should be accurate. Also, if you havent already taken this into account, make sure the grips start at the beginning of the rolled 'lip' instead of sitting directly at the bottom of the flash, if that makes any sense. That should give you a mm or so.

You are correct ;)

WW resin grips are not accurate to the TLJ Hero (displayed in Awesomecon and shown many times in the archives) since they are 88mm while they should be around 90mm

hey, lots of us are using E6000. some are using two parts 5 minutes epoxy glue which will allow you to work faster. Some will not use the epoxy as it can be britle and some will say the E6000 will not hold as well as the epoxy... It will be difficult to give you a definitive answer. Both are a good solution. Just make sure you sand the bottom of your tracks first and clean/degrease properly your bottom tube.
good luck :)

Just meditate and let the Will of The Force (tm) guide you to which adhesive you should use...

WW resin grips are not accurate to the TLJ Hero (displayed in Awesomecon and shown many times in the archives) since they are 88mm while they should be around 90mm

How can that be when Roy's came from a cast of the genuine prop?
Are there any links or measurements taken that show they are wrong?

My guess is that Roy's casting did not come from the "awesomecon" hero prop. There's no doubt, WW resin grips (88mm) are too short compared to the ones in the TLJ hero (around 90mm).

I think Roy knows about this as well.

My guess is that Roy's casting did not come from the "awesomecon" hero prop. There's no doubt, WW resin grips (88mm) are too short compared to the ones in the TLJ hero (around 90mm).

I think Roy knows about this as well.

Is the awesomecon one authenticated as being screen used in both TFA/TLJ? If so where?
Are there any links and/or measurements anywhere that show them to be 90mm?

I only ask as it's easy to take someone's word for it (not saying what you wrote isn't true), I like to see and read the discussions and evidence provided :)

The Awesomecon hero was used many times throughout TLJ in close-up shots.

There's isn't any link or thread that I can show you, as this extensive research has been done privately through me and couple others.
No need to take my word for it.

If others choose to go 88mm route, then that is the way :)
I really don't care what others put on their flashtubes, as long as I go the accurate route.

The Awesomecon hero was used many times throughout TLJ in close-up shots.

There's isn't any link or thread that I can show you, as this extensive research has been done privately through me and couple others.
No need to take my word for it.

If others choose to go 88mm route, then that is the way :)
I really don't care what others put on their flashtubes, as long as I go the accurate route.

I get that, but this place struck me as somewhere to share knowledge etc?

Hello All

OK, so I have solved the issue of the new resin grips being too short. I bought the ones recommended at the top of this thread but with the square cut outs and they were definitely too short. I have since got hold of a couple of other variations from different sources (both being a soft-ish rubber) and these are both the correct length!

Now, I am a novice but I need to ask if anyone else has had this specific problem and what grips I should now go for? I really liked these hard, cut out versions but they are simply too short against a genuine Graflex!

Any input most welcome!

Attachments

• 20191231_143651.jpg
    20191231_143651.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • 20191231_151820.jpg
    20191231_151820.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
Should I be going with 90mm grips and if so what do members think is the best set to go for?
I'm in the same position and wondering how to go forward. I figure the next thing I'll do is gather photos of the Graflex, work out measurements, and see about 3D modeling and printing my own set of grips if they don't match Roy's.

Thank you guys for your replies. Fascinating that there is still room for improvement on these grips. I shall hold fire and wait to see what develops. PLEASE keep me in the loop , with any developments! Many thanks.

i don't have much to add I'm sorry - all my saber projects are OT and I have always measured the flash itself, and used a hot utility knife or miter saw to cut them to length. I never rely on measurements because flashes vary in length - that being said the new sequel grips are already made to a desired length and I guess this is a problem that can arise!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back