Truly epic animated series... Recommendations?

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier but Fang of the Sun Dougram is pretty good if you did "real robot" anime from the 80s, a la the original Gundam series. Plus, several Dougram designs were the basis for the "Unseen" 'Mechs in Battletech.

The battletech cartoon from the 90s was really good, sadly i think it was too violent and got canceled after a season. Then again it was on Fox and they constantly canceled cartoons with high ratings. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team is a good one. Stardust Memory was the first gundam i ever saw.

I don't recall if anyone has mentioned this or not but The Last Avatar sequel, The Legend of Korra is quite good, I'm not sure if it's quite epic but it's really well done and a worthy successor to The Last Avatar.

I'm watching Log Horizon right now and it's ok, it's like a pale copy of SAO to me.

I stopped watching SAO after the first game because people said it sucks after that, so I only have those first 15 episodes to go by. Is SAO better than LH? I definitely like the animation style simply because I'm tired of the cliche anime style.

I stopped watching SAO after the first game because people said it sucks after that, so I only have those first 15 episodes to go by. Is SAO better than LH? I definitely like the animation style simply because I'm tired of the cliche anime style.

I wouldn't say the ALO half of SAO sucked, but I would say it definitely wasn't great or even good for that matter. It gets a bit creepy and weird in a few episodes. It focuses more on Kirito's relationship with Leafa/Suguha and it gives a bit of closure with his relationship with Asuna. It also sort of leads into season 2 which is slated to be Gun Gale Online.

And if you really are a fan of SAO: Sword Art Online: Extra Edition to Stream Worldwide - News - Anime News Network

I wouldn't say the ALO half of SAO sucked, but I would say it definitely wasn't great or even good for that matter. It gets a bit creepy and weird in a few episodes. It focuses more on Kirito's relationship with Leafa/Suguha and it gives a bit of closure with his relationship with Asuna. It also sort of leads into season 2 which is slated to be Gun Gale Online.

And if you really are a fan of SAO: Sword Art Online: Extra Edition to Stream Worldwide - News - Anime News Network

Seems like a fair assessment. I'm sire I will suck it up and finish SAO eventually. It was a lot easier to watch tv before I was married lol.

Recently watched the first six episodes of Log Horizon. Nice to see it going against the norm and having the main character as a mage class instead of the usual warrior type. However, Akatsuki the assassin is the one that's been stealing the show thus far. I think it's a watered down version of SAO but it's been interesting enough to keep me watching for now.

Recently watched the first six episodes of Log Horizon. Nice to see it going against the norm and having the main character as a mage class instead of the usual warrior type. However, Akatsuki the assassin is the one that's been stealing the show thus far. I think it's a watered down version of SAO but it's been interesting enough to keep me watching for now.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the show and I totally agree about Akatsuki, she's probably the coolest character in the show so far with the cat guy coming in a close second. It's definitely no SAO but it's good enough to keep watching.

Some of the Lupin series, the series released here in english i mean and cartoon network were showing. The american voice cast was really good. Too bad the lupin animated movies aren't as good.

Five Star Stories was, I think, just an OVA. The series on which it was based was Heavy Metal L-Gaim. I've not seen it, but I've always been curious about it. Most of the stuff I used to see was ebay auctions for HK subbed DVD sets, which usually got pretty crappy reviews about the sub quality. Dunno if that improved. Might be worth a look, if you're curious. But yeah, Five Star Stories is literally just a film that apparently is based on L-Gaim.

Five Star Stories was, I think, just an OVA. The series on which it was based was Heavy Metal L-Gaim. I've not seen it, but I've always been curious about it. Most of the stuff I used to see was ebay auctions for HK subbed DVD sets, which usually got pretty crappy reviews about the sub quality. Dunno if that improved. Might be worth a look, if you're curious. But yeah, Five Star Stories is literally just a film that apparently is based on L-Gaim.

I don't think so, I'm pretty certain that 5 Star Stories was its own thing though it may have been based off a manga. I never saw it myself, one of the few animes that I thought looked interesting but never got around to watching during the 80s/90s but I remember that the mecha designs were pretty unique and very cool looking. I'm not absolutely certain of this but I want to say that it was a pretty popular series when it came out.

I don't think so, I'm pretty certain that 5 Star Stories was its own thing though it may have been based off a manga. I never saw it myself, one of the few animes that I thought looked interesting but never got around to watching during the 80s/90s but I remember that the mecha designs were pretty unique and very cool looking. I'm not absolutely certain of this but I want to say that it was a pretty popular series when it came out.

I think I saw it back in college in the mid-90s and it was just an OVA film, as I recall. Kinda confusing, too, since I hadn't read the manga. But I don't think there was ever anything beyond the OVA that was animated. Best I could find was the wiki article on it. L-Gaim I know was longer. It was a separate universe, but I think some of the same creative team was involved in both.

The Five Star Stories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heavy Metal L-Gaim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there's a sequel then I'm hopeful. I enjoyed the first half very much and was missing that setting very much and its fleshed out MMORPG elements.
The second half faerie-world setting was a little flat footed IMO.
A "gun" setting does sound interesting, though.

Ideas for a new avatar series: 1. A story about the next avatar after Korra or...

2. Go back a bit to the past and do a story about Aang and his friends in the future as adults.

Thoughts?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back