Toshiro Mifune Samurai related costume question

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Hey friends,

I have a costume party coming up and I was thinking of dressing up as Toshiro Mifune and have NO idea what to actually call the costume. I know it's Samurai related, but I am lost as what its actually called or how to research it. Spending time online searching google and yahoo didnt help because I didnt know what I was looking for. haha

So, here is a photo of the costume I am wanting to make. What are these called, and are there any pages online about these costumes and how they are made? I knew you were the right guys to ask! haha Here is the photo of the Costume I am interested in recreating:

03-mo-yojimbo.jpg
[/IMG]

l_fabb8e03d05b5c0089864b319e9f21fe.jpg
[/IMG]

Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to educate me on what these outfits are called and how they are made. Thanks for your help!!!

Chuckster

It's really not so much of a costume, so much as it is pure Japanese traditional formal-wear.
Mostly worn by upper-class citizens.
Since the film was black and white, I can't really tell you what colors he wore in particular....

The top would be known as a Kimono. I assume it is black or dark blue, with a montsuke (family crest). It appears he may also be wearing a Han-Juban. (Sort of like an undershirt for a kimono)
The bottoms, are *really* two parts. An Obi, or the belt. It is generally several feet in length, and is wrapped around the waste multiple times. This is used to secure the kimono, as well as is the carrier of your Katana & Tanto. It is VERY important to have this. As you will be unable to wear your katana at your side properly without it.
The hakama, are the pants. Although it looks like a dress, almost... It has two legs. I'd assume this was either brown, grey, or blue.
The socks, are known as Tabi. They have a split toe to wear with sandals.
And the sandals appear to be Zori.

Here's two websites which could help. Though Bugei will probably be the more beneficial of the two.

http://www.ecmas.com/shop/storepro5...NIFORMS&user4=Traditional Japanese Wear&xm=on

Ecmas.com

East Coast martial arts supply.
Their store is located near me and I have trained in iaido with the owner. Great people and great products/ customer service. Call them and they'll know what you're talking about too!.

http://www.bugei.com/category_51.htm

Bugei.com

Bugei Trading Company
Really In my opinion they are the premier website for Japanese inspired martial arts. BEAUTIFUL products and excellent customer service.

Last edited:
Tsuyosa pretty much summed it all up for you.

If you want to make the costume yourself rather than buy it, check out folkwear.com. Use pattern #113 for the Kimono and #151 for the Hakama. Keep in mind that there really isn't a pattern for the Hakama. It's more of step-by-step instructions on how to make one.

Here's a great site to learn how to tie the Hakama and obi. You might want to use Babelfish to translate it for you, although it doesn't help much. I used Kanda knot on my obi and Jumonji for the Hakama.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I will start there and research tonight. I stink at Tailoring, so hopefully I can figure this out! haha

Thanks again for the advice!

Very cool costume. One I've wanted to do also. Not sure if these colors are accurate or interrpreted, but here is the Alfrex figure:
m1.jpg

Hi,

Just want to make a little correction as the Obi (the belt) effectively secures the clothes and also carries the Daisho (Katana) and Shoto (Wakisashi), called Daito when together....not Tanto which is for Seppuku....or letter opener ;-) I think.

FRED

Putting on and tying up Hakama with Obi in the traditional way is a very long process. I have a traditional Kimono and Hakama and it takes about an hour to get it all set and tied up right. If you ever buy or make Hakama. Don't get the pants version. Going to the bathroom is a PITA when you are fully dressed. The "dress" style Hakama is very easy to go potty in. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back