TOS USS Constellation (AMT studio model replica)

Just remember she doesn't have all the decals on yet. I have a few more windows to apply and I might strip the neck pylon decals off of one side and apply new ones since their position doesn't seem symetric with the other side (it will be a judgement call). I have a few windows I need to add to the saucer as well, including the B-C deck teardrop windows. Shaw's NCC-1017 numbers and Constellation name worked perfect for the saucer and engines BTW. I was going to use the PL ones, but Shaw got the lettering down perfect for that "AMT studio model" appearance.

I know you are not done with the saucer; the B/C windows are just something for some reason that I always remember about that model. That is the only reason I mentioned it; I was sure you were going to get to them. Looks grand!!

Shaw's NCC-1017 numbers and Constellation name worked perfect for the saucer and engines BTW. I was going to use the PL ones, but Shaw got the lettering down perfect for that "AMT studio model" appearance.
Thanks for the compliment!

Between this model and the 1/1000 Constellation Gregatron has been working on, I'm really glad that I took the time to do Constellation versions of the AMT decal markings as well as restoring the Enterprise ones.

I was really hoping that someone would do a great reproduction of the Constellation as she appeared in TOS, and now there are two of them!

Outstanding workmanship on this build. It is amazing to see it come together.

Well thanks again for doing the artwork Shaw. I'll be honest as I was originally going to use either the Round 2 kit decals instead or some other aftermarkets in my stash. But, after comparing them to what you did, you got the unique look of those AMT markings down cold! Plus, the more condensed rub on transfer font used on the Constellation's name looked perfect as well. So, it was a no brainer. I'm having to print off a couple of additional markings for my model, so I'll be throwing some of the AMT windows on there as well as it is a nice time saver compared to positioning individual window decals on the B-C deck and the saucer. The majority of the windows are the Round 2 AMT dark pilot ones to give the ship a look closer to that of the Enterprise. But, there were some more obvious AMT window features I need to add to it to complete the look.

If it helps, I put up an EPS version of the sheet I put together (it was what I sent to JT Graphics to have my copies made up). You can find it here:
This is a beautiful build... I can't wait to see it done!

Last time I saw this it was still in pieces nd you had just started with the details. I'm glad to see the progress you have made on it and can't wait to see you bring it to the meeting in a few weeks.

Jay, This build is coming along beautifully! :thumbsup

It's nice to see a build up of a long box AMT Enterprise kit.

All I need to do is finish the dang thing, but some sort of nasty cold or mild flu has been kicking my rear end since just before New Years. I seem to be getting over it though.

I just have to add two more pieces of bent conduit to match what I found in my reference photos, do a minor tweak to the paint and the pastel chalk weathering can take place.

No pictures yet, but I got the pastel chalk weathering on the model last night and it looks like I was hoping it would. I think I've captured the spirit of the Constellation rather nicely, even if it isn't a 100% total replication (certainly over 90% though). Only reason I haven't uploaded pictures yet is my primary system had a nuisance virus on it yet and getting rid of it seems to have disabled my LAN port. Plus I've been fighting a nasty resperatory infection this week as well.

So give it a day or two and I'll upload photos of the Constellation in all its Planet Killer trashed glory.

Okay, how about some pictures? These were kind of a rush job with out good lighting, but they should showcase the model nicely:

connie8.jpg

connie3.jpg

connie6.jpg

connie5.jpg

connie10.jpg

conniestand1.jpg

connie9.jpg

Very nice! I like the way you kept it close to the screen model, with just enough extra detail to look good up close.

Very nice! I like the way you kept it close to the screen model, with just enough extra detail to look good up close.

Thanks Rob. That was exactly the effect I was trying to shoot for. If I had gone overboard, I would have stuck it in General Modeling. But since I was trying to shoot for a studio replica with a little more detailing, that dictated the approach I wanted to take with it.

This came out really nice Jay! I think the battle damage looks spot on from what can be seen in the original episode. Several other interpretations of this model I have seen, tend to over-do-it on the battle damage. Your version looks perfect to my eyes! :thumbsup

This would undoubtedly eclipse the original in almost every way that counts. Youve done such a fine job that I think this really proves that these studio utilized kits can become accurate replicas. And with the amount of interpretation required to finish there's still some room for creativity.

The base is an amazing compliment but I don't think you need the plaque.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back