TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple"....or maybe a planet

Re: TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple"....maybe..

that wouldn't be a problem since they could film the planet model nearly filling most of the screen then comp the enterprise over it.

I have seen photos of other planets that seemed to be about 12 inches across.

Yes they could and their are shots of some of the planets.

This is one interesting prop and regardless of what it is a very rare one as anything from TOS is.

Would they have used a model so small when it would end up being larger in the frame than the Enterprise orbiting it, and that model was 12 feet across! There must be some behind the scenes shots out there somewhere of the original series effects studio.

I love post's like this. After all of these years just when you think that you have heard and seen it all something new. Thank you for sharing this.

Please do a run! I can paint it myself, I just want a raw cast, thanks.

:behave

Specifically, it looks like the planet for "The City on the edge of forever."

You know I have to agree with this one. I guess you however must take any fading of the paint as well as handling over the years into consideration. I don't know....sweet anyhow.

Computer problems.....but some interesting posts since last visit.
HTML:

It does give the first impression of being a planet.

I have actually only had it out of its box once for long enough to take pics.....and I didn't see a hole.......but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I recall reading some stuff last year about TOS production and one of the jokes was about styrofoam planets......it was a jab at the low budget, but is also an interesting bit of info.

I will continue to do research and am glad there is some input from fellow members.

I've made contact with a fan that has a huge number of film cels and planet images from the show. We are going through them now.....wish us luck that we will be able to match it.

When I saw it I thought it seemed like the globes that store Henoch, etc. in "Return to Tomorrow"

returntotomorrowhd0401.jpg

Took the image of the prop from the start of the thread, added a red filter, and popped it overtop of the oiriginal:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Phase..........it is too small to be the storage and I think those are plastic

As for the planet.........that is what we are checking on. I have current images from all sides and we can give 'em that treatment. I can upload big files to Photobucket if anyone wants to help filter .......yeah you deck5 LOL

It will be awesome if it turns out to be the planet prop from one of the best episodes.

Wow that would be an amazing discovery if it does turn out to be that planet prop!

Looking like it is a planet prop, but which one....or ones?

A little rotation...a differnt filter...........new planet.

It could be several.......

I had checked out the COTEOF possibility a while back and felt it was not a good match. Here's a closer shot. Note the clouds. They don't seem to be present in any way on the piece in question. It's also lacking the striated color that the mystery piece has. If the mystery piece IS this planet, it should be a simple task to match it.

There's only a handful of planets used in TOS. They then recolored or flopped as needed, or simply reused as-is. An Earth globe was used fro a lot of instances, usually flipped around and upside down to throw things off.

Most show definite cloud swirls. Very different from the Globe of Mystery. Unfortunately.

I'm still thinking "Apple fruit". After all, it's styrofoam so it would be easy to hang due to its light weight.

You've only seen one side and orientation.........it is not consistant all the way around.

I have about 8 around and then a top and bottom.

It will take some time to really look at it from all angles and compare to the images from onscreen and off.

The color filters can really throw you off so we have to look at the areas of highest contrast to do matching.

Wish I didn't have a real job so I could research stuff and build models....and ride my motorcycle......etc ........

Thanks for the input everyone........200 eyes are better'n 2.......

There were only about a half dozen planet models in the whole of TOS as this site would have it : Planets in TOS. That narrows down the options to be checked and provides more reference on each one at the same time. :cool

I do think if this mystery prop were a planet model it would need to have a socket for a half inch steel tube to mount it on. My memory of planets in TOS is that they looked good and didn't jiggle about. They must have been rigged on a very solid set up. Or it could be they DID jiggle all over and I remember them more kindly than was really on the screen. :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back