Top Gun: Maverick

I seriously hope that that means he was being shown enough of what to do to look like he's doing what's in the script. I don't think they can condense that training to months for an actor, let alone allow him to fly the plane.
But for Mission Impossible: Fallout, he learned to fly a helicopter in just one month!
Wired magazine even made a video about it:
Also, the director from the last two Mission Impossible movies is now involved with the Top Gun 2 script.

I thought civilians weren’t allowed to use military equipment...

Yes and no, but I understand he isnt being allowed to fly the military plane, solo. Thats not to say he isnt learning to fly anything independently owned and operated in or out of country.

Another, how can Tom Cruise try and kill himself on film, for the next Mission Impossible, there is talk of a grand finale being in space.

Got some confirmation on Maverick's nametag today. Apparently the font is used exclusively at Navy Fighter Weapons School by Instructors. It's use dates back before the original film. These pictures were provided by a previous student and instructor, Dave "BIO" Baranek. He also worked on the original movie as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-07 at 11.57.51 AM - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-07 at 11.57.51 AM - Edited.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 156
But for Mission Impossible: Fallout, he learned to fly a helicopter in just one month!
Wired magazine even made a video about it:

Also, the director from the last two Mission Impossible movies is now involved with the Top Gun 2 script.

This doesn't mean that they let him do a lot of the stunt flying. In one month's time he probably learned how to take off and land, fly a simple course, maybe hover, and maybe auto rotate. But there's no way that he could have learned to fly at high speeds, fly low, and do all sorts of stunts and tricks that would take years to get good enough to do. This is probably what they're doing for Top Gun 2, except instead of taking off and landing he's probably learning how operate an F-18 on a very basic level in the air, turn left, turn right, go up, go down, etc. A modern jet fighter is magnitudes more complicated and sophisticated than a helicopter, not to mention many times more expensive. There's no way that the Navy is going to let him do anything remotely fancy behind the stick in the air.

This doesn't mean that they let him do a lot of the stunt flying. In one month's time he probably learned how to take off and land, fly a simple course, maybe hover, and maybe auto rotate. But there's no way that he could have learned to fly at high speeds, fly low, and do all sorts of stunts and tricks that would take years to get good enough to do. This is probably what they're doing for Top Gun 2, except instead of taking off and landing he's probably learning how operate an F-18 on a very basic level in the air, turn left, turn right, go up, go down, etc. A modern jet fighter is magnitudes more complicated and sophisticated than a helicopter, not to mention many times more expensive. There's no way that the Navy is going to let him do anything remotely fancy behind the stick in the air.
Did you watch the video?
Cruise was successfully able to pull off a corkscrew dive, which I can tell with 100% certainly is NOT simple or easy to learn.
Or you can just watch the movie to get a good sense of his qualified piloting skills.

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool. I see that they finally got him to wear gloves and put down his visor (even if it's a clear one that no pilots I've seen use). But I say BS to him having passed on promotions, the US military isn't Starfleet and you can't just pass up on promotions. Even if Mav himself doesn't submit a package to the promotion boards himself you can be damned certain that one CO or another would have done so for him or, if it's not for his star, they would have had him promoted meritoriously. The name of the game in the US military is up or out, you don't get promoted after so many tries when you're eligible then you're out. There's only room for so many people of each given rank and billet in the military and there's not enough room or money to keep people in and not move up.

I am pretty sure I saw a P-51 in that trailer, I wonder if that's the one Tom flies every now and then?
Loved that they did appear to not go the CGI route and it looks like they actually hung cameras under fighters again. I thought they'd just go crummy CGI!
As for the character being an O-6, I do wonder if after 30 years (and not a 'Mustang' promoted from the enlisted ranks), he'd either be an admiral or a civilian by now. One of my best friends is a 30-year sailor and it is an O5 but he was enlisted at the start of his career and has progressed as you'd expect (he just had a ship command about 2 years ago). He said 30year sailors aren't that uncommon. In fact, the Captain he replaced on his destroyer had been a 30year sailor and prior enlisted, too if memory serves.
I was Army, where 30year soldiers are utterly unheard of, and don't know that much about how this would work for this character...

I note that the demonic spirit of dead Goose possesses a pilot and forces him to pound out “Great Balls of Fiyah!!” on a piano. Yikes! Are you getting the nostalgia feels yet?

51E5E3B1-57A9-4387-8779-A89AC0708577.png

54C9BF40-6475-4033-9AB7-9ADCE84870AB.png

It appears that some of the film is a musical which is a courageous choice by the filmmakers. I applaud them.

5F858033-93E4-4B7C-B85B-0C71A5B499A9.png

So, I take that the “offspring of dead Goose” is in the movie? I assume that he / she will demand that Maverick train him/her and that he refuses due to his guilt over Goose, but his cold exterior will melt and he will train him/her. The closing scene will have Maverick proclaiming “You can be my wingman / wingwoman anytime!” The “offspring of dead Goose” will say back “No—you can be mine!”

Is this the offspring in question? “Daughter of Goose (DOG)”?

AADC30DF-F69D-4170-B2C4-5427FDA7A2FC.png

21E82354-9524-48AC-B188-BEEAD2D73765.png

88380B02-0D5C-4D27-ADE6-7BEC0B007323.png

Or is it this guy who is either “Son of Goose (SOG)” or the guy that Goose’s mustache is making a cameo appearance on?

8899A428-CFC3-4C4E-83A0-4783E87043D5.png

Either way, I smell a movie modeled after “Creed” here.

I really did enjoy the homage to “Hot Shots” seen in the trailer here:

82661245-97FD-4FE7-BB3C-F308E41C66B3.png

Oh yeah...

And where is Kelly McGillis? I assume she will show up too. Perhaps at her beach house she no doubt shares with Maverick?

B659A3DF-730E-4BF9-BF9F-E55A7BFCA7D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Or is it this guy who is either “son of Goose” or the guy that Goose’s mustache is making a cameo appearance on?

8899a428-cfc3-4c4e-83a0-4783e87043d5-png.png

Is that Miles Teller? I mean, he looks like he could be Son of Goose or... Son of Tom Skerritt. I'd bet my money on Son of Goose though, because that looks like the same guy in front of the piano.

And where is Kelly McGillis? I assume she will show up too. Perhaps at her beach house she no doubt shares with Maverick?

b659a3df-730e-4bf9-bf9f-e55a7bfca7d6-jpeg.jpg

I'd say she's dead and and Daughter of Maverick McGillis is in the movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back