Tony Stark Arc Reactor Question

Finally completed mine. I ordered the kit complete with case, but wasn't happy with the acrylic case so I went to a glass shop near my place and ordered a glass replacement (4mm thickness) using the acrylic case's dimensions. The glass edges were glued using regular adhesive hence the black tape used at the edges, as to make one using acid glue like the one in the movie would have been too cost prohibitive and cost more than the kit. I also painted the acrylic base silver to make it more screen accurate.

I used to own the Windlass/Sideshow version but this looks waaaaaaay better. Glad I got it.

rps20190625_104524.jpg
rps20190625_104539.jpg
rps20190625_104552.jpg
rps20190625_104610.jpg

Finally completed mine. I ordered the kit complete with case, but wasn't happy with the acrylic case so I went to a glass shop near my place and ordered a glass replacement (4mm thickness) using the acrylic case's dimensions. The glass edges were glued using regular adhesive hence the black tape used at the edges, as to make one using acid glue like the one in the movie would have been too cost prohibitive and cost more than the kit. I also painted the acrylic base silver to make it more screen accurate.

I used to own the Windlass/Sideshow version but this looks waaaaaaay better. Glad I got it.
Looks nice. Mine arrived today. How are you powering yours, with a power pack to the USB? Can’t see why I couldn’t just use my iPhone marshmallow and a longer USB cord so I could plug it into the wall.

slightly different MK kit too..

more red wire wrapping than 'copper'..

your side pieces dont look to have the 'bumps/nubs' on them either (nice).. and are metal?

your center piece if also silver .. I think mine is black?

Is this the metal kit?

View attachment 1032558View attachment 1032559View attachment 1032560View attachment 1032561
Was yours from Wish?

Tried ordering off Wish but my completed order said I had two "D's" (just the case)... so had to cancel and will retry down the line... waiting to make sure I'm refunded.

Crappy app, heh.

Was yours from Wish?

Tried ordering off Wish but my completed order said I had two "D's" (just the case)... so had to cancel and will retry down the line... waiting to make sure I'm refunded.

Crappy app, heh.

I bought it from AliExpress, although I won't recommend the shop I got it from. They took a helluva long time to ship it.

So I got back from my work trip and low and behold two cocaine looking kilo packages were waiting for me as expected. I got the Mando version MK 1 and after looking at the parts, it appears a few things are different. I have a lower acrylic portion that is blue, and the plug is from the MK2 kit. The top acrylic ring is not one solid piece as in some kits, but several smaller curved pieces.
885A9EDC-CCBA-4EB3-AF74-186940A74145.jpeg

1C79D58E-0421-462A-9622-570E472F6F20.jpeg

87CA8736-B01C-4BA1-9442-F38132C84019.jpeg

Thats how my 'top acylic ring' was as well.. multi-pieced to build with the pre-wrapped cubes and U-side pieces..

Same plug for me as well..

I did NOT get a blue acrylic anything however..

It's looking to me like its a case where Mando Studios were the first to offer the kits, really professionally made with a mix of metal/plastic parts and a metal base, and then other makers got a hold of their blueprints and started making and offering their own, using different materials and different (probably cheaper) methods. That would explain the variations available. Wouldn't be new in the Chinese market.

I don’t mind the blue portion as it will spread the ambient light I think since it’s on the bottom. Looking at the arc sold at auction I can see the top ring has a slight greenish hue to it so I might play with some dye and see if I can match it and also might just wrap my own copper to give it a little more rustic cave build feel to it.
77EAC323-28B9-4BD5-8FEC-B5886AF37A2B.jpeg

I could be wrong on that greenish hue and it could be just what’s behind and underneath it causing it.

Last edited:
no..

you are correct. it does have a hue.

Seemed almost like a 'glass' effect/hue.. but other kits I have seen here have also used dye to match the effects..

It's looking to me like its a case where Mando Studios were the first to offer the kits, really professionally made with a mix of metal/plastic parts and a metal base, and then other makers got a hold of their blueprints and started making and offering their own, using different materials and different (probably cheaper) methods. That would explain the variations available. Wouldn't be new in the Chinese market.

Just noticed yours only seems to have the usb plug? Not the additional wiring?

Scratch that, I’m officially old and couldn’t see that the blue is actually the cling protective film lol.

B42FD7F2-2982-49C3-A948-D39978CA036F.jpeg

Also realized that the “steps” to the brass rings on the real prop are metal, not plastic like those included in the kit.
6929CFE2-BBA2-4B63-B8B0-8CC0175B82A3.jpeg

EBD8D5AA-749C-42BD-AE6E-59867EDE9BCD.jpeg

welp, maybe paint those up metal then!

On a 3D print kit I'm trying a gun metal look using flat black with graphite power rubbed on... in this case, a metallic paint with a light graphite rub may work...

I'm just loving checking these out put together... will pull the trigger any day now, just trying to save a couple bucks on shipping so checking different stores.

Then I shall litter this thread...

Think I’ll try that and also cut out most of the back portion. Looks like once that top black ring is on nothing else is load-bearing on it. Your way should make it look a little better.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back