Tony Stark Arc Reactor Question

reversing the pre-wound 'cubes' and cutting/tucking the extra length turned out pretty good.

I'm on the edge of having enough brass rod (1/64th?) for both 'rings'...

I will need to cut it piece by piece to see..right now though... its looks pretty damn good!

Mine came over the weekend. I got it together and it looked pretty good...then I decided to sand down the fake solder and actually solder wire to little brass rectangles...which is proving to be far more difficult and frustrating than I had anticipated. Oh well, it was cheap enough. If I don't like the way it turns out, I can always just order another one.

what 'fake solder' are you referring to? (the little 'nubs' on the plastic "U" pieces? (aka: the sides of the wire wound 'cubes')

I'll try and take pics of mine tonight...

I need to 'snip' my brass wire.. and 'make' some sort of solder 'blobs'..LOL

Was lucky enough to score a an extra RDJ plaque from the chairs he gave all the crew members at the conclusion of filming Infinity War/End Game. Think it makes the perfect accessory to my current build.

F3A1840C-B2AD-443E-9669-936D061FA8BA.jpeg

what 'fake solder' are you referring to? (the little 'nubs' on the plastic "U" pieces? (aka: the sides of the wire wound 'cubes')

I'll try and take pics of mine tonight...

I need to 'snip' my brass wire.. and 'make' some sort of solder 'blobs'..LOL

Yeah, those. I didn't like the way they looked. In hindsight I would probably just flip the wrapped cubes upside down and just use the heavier gauge wire with them instead of sanding them down and doing it this way. Or maybe using some clay or something to make blobs. I'm generally pretty decent at soldering...but not so much on this...

Yeah, those. I didn't like the way they looked. In hindsight I would probably just flip the wrapped cubes upside down and just use the heavier gauge wire with them instead of sanding them down and doing it this way. Or maybe using some clay or something to make blobs. I'm generally pretty decent at soldering...but not so much on this...

I’m going to use small glue dots and coat them with a metallic sharpie. Should get the look I’m going for without the fuss.

I'll be doing 'something' to add/cover the 'nubs' on the top that the wire is supposed to 'feed' into...

Just not sure what yet? needs to be 'solder'ish' looking (not in color of course.. that can be painted)..

Links to where/how mine is right now.

I need to complete the following still:

* glue the wire in place (I think this going to be step #1 so it stays in place for step #2.. and keep the 'arc' (bend) of the wire in place)..:) )
* snip the wire(s) (debating on if I can 'snip it close enough' or is sanding...etc.. might be needed if.. so.. I might cut individual pieces.)
* make my own 'solder blobs' (material of choice, unknown. maybe clay? or hot glue?)
* color with silver pain pen (after/before? not sure depends on step #3 above and the material I end up using)

https://www.dmstudios.net/misc/arc_reactor/IMG_0282.JPG

I found that the glue looked terrible, as did the paint pen. For the soldering, I laid the wire across the brass pad and soldered it, then I snipped the bit of wire. Otherwise it was too difficult to keep the wire positioned correctly

Alright, so I finally finished mine. I had to put it aside for a few days because I was getting too frustrated trying to actually solder the wires around the outside. I probably should have just ordered better helping hands because it probably wouldn't have been as bad but I didn't think about it until I was mostly done. The solder looks like crap, but with the lights on and in the shelf you can't really tell. I still may order another one though and just do it with the fake "solder' bumps that it comes with. Also, the case is kind of crappy, I'll probably want to source or make an upgraded acrylic one at some point in the future. All in all for less than $70 (less if you just get the arc and not the display), it's not a bad deal though.

Attachments

• IMG_6251.jpg
    IMG_6251.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6256.jpg
    IMG_6256.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
I dont recall...

did yours have the 'bumps/holes' (nubs) on the black plastic "U" shapes?

I cant really see it that close... but they look like they came out pretty good.

For mine I made fake welds from Amazing GOOP painted with a silver pen. They look appropriately shoddy, I think.

About the plug: my kit came with the incorrect (MK2) version. Anyone has a source for the accurate plug for the MK1?

Attachments

• 7D6366B9-9E53-40C1-89E2-76A37245B6A5.jpeg
    7D6366B9-9E53-40C1-89E2-76A37245B6A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 9023BD21-A6BB-4908-9CCC-518710B47246.jpeg
    9023BD21-A6BB-4908-9CCC-518710B47246.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
  • A62D9868-F054-462E-9230-2E508085CCA9.jpeg
    A62D9868-F054-462E-9230-2E508085CCA9.jpeg
    798.7 KB · Views: 168
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back