Tom's: Gary Kurtz Darth Vader Stunt Lightsaber

I'm about to start my third Strobonar saber and I do agree that it does look like the shroud was intentionally cut down. I think it might have been a bit too intrusive when left uncut.

136938092_1365889010470297_3681047378499180474_n.jpg
136935822_452343226141391_6941205751413146129_n.jpg
136369168_729285534427271_7569323821611101765_n.jpg

This was a rather recent discovery. The words on a slave extend beyond the borders of the correct sized patch (see Kurtyboy's saber), and they are not present on this saber.
kurtzDringscrewplacement:socket.jpg
The second tell is the included set-screw, only seen on Telegraph graflexes.
Kurtzemitter.jpgIMG_0468.jpg

that seems like a hell of a lot of extra work if you ask me. They had to grind out the extrusion, cover it with the patch and they also had to cut the telegraph.

the other thing is that the size of the slave unit matches spot on the dimensions of the real prop when put on top of the Strobonar. I can see the details you pointed out are obviously there. but something just isnt adding up.

the other thing is that the size of the slave unit matches spot on the dimensions of the real prop when put on top of the Strobonar. I can see the details you pointed out are obviously there. but something just isnt adding up.

Agreed. If you're going to use a telegraph top, why cut it short instead of hiding the john under the "clamp?" And why go to the trouble of grinding away the shoulders? Not saying they couldn't have done that, I've built enough sabers to know that sometimes you end up with weird scrap from other projects and maybe it was a leftover, but with the shape and dimensions being what they are, the simplest explanation to my mind is that there's slaves out there that lack the stamping and have those tiny set screws.

Agreed. If you're going to use a telegraph top, why cut it short instead of hiding the john under the "clamp?" And why go to the trouble of grinding away the shoulders? Not saying they couldn't have done that, I've built enough sabers to know that sometimes you end up with weird scrap from other projects and maybe it was a leftover, but with the shape and dimensions being what they are, the simplest explanation to my mind is that there's slaves out there that lack the stamping and have those tiny set screws.
I would add many O.T flashgun lightsabers were just pieces cobbled together, sometimes drilled (DV6), but everything seem to imply they did as simple and fast as they can.
It might be possible they used an old really beaten telegraph to cut it out and recover it, but, once again, that seems a lot of work considering the lack of care they put into lightsabers.

I have a Strobonar from way back... How much are these worth nowadays? Anyway, what was the consensus about the telegraph?

This was a rather recent discovery. The words on a slave extend beyond the borders of the correct sized patch (see Kurtyboy's saber), and they are not present on this saber.
View attachment 1409495
The second tell is the included set-screw, only seen on Telegraph graflexes.
View attachment 1409494View attachment 1409497
View attachment 1488847
View attachment 1488848
View attachment 1488858

I am currently working on my own Gary Kurtz Vader Lightsaber and I believe I see the Graflex slave text in this image, judging from this image, it may not be screws, just paint peeling....... There is also a grip similar to the ESB Graflex Lightsaber series, and the D-ring base appears to be made of three wooden boards glued together.:oops:

View attachment 1488849
View attachment 1488866
View attachment 1488850
View attachment 1488851
View attachment 1488863
View attachment 1488859
View attachment 1488852
View attachment 1488853
View attachment 1488854
View attachment 1488855
View attachment 1488857

The circuit board in the control box, I think they accidentally cut the board short when they cut the board, or maybe the brass finger itself is very short, then they cut a square strip from the original board and splice it onto the PCB... I recently bought a circuit board, and I did the same, with good results.

View attachment 1488860

As for the grips, if I read them correctly, they use rivets........View attachment 1488873

View attachment 1488862
As for the shroud, I always thought they cracked when sanding it..... I can clearly see the crack here in this image. My other Heiland Strobonar is on its way, probably in a few days. I will trim the shroud then and see the effect...

Last edited:
View attachment 1488847
View attachment 1488848
View attachment 1488858

I am currently working on my own Gary Kurtz Vader Lightsaber and I believe I see the Graflex slave text in this image, judging from this image, it may not be screws, just paint peeling....... There is also a grip similar to the ESB Graflex Lightsaber series, and the D-ring base appears to be made of three wooden boards glued together.:oops:

View attachment 1488849
View attachment 1488866
View attachment 1488850
View attachment 1488851
View attachment 1488863
View attachment 1488859
View attachment 1488852
View attachment 1488853
View attachment 1488854
View attachment 1488855
View attachment 1488857

The circuit board in the control box, I think they accidentally cut the board short when they cut the board, or maybe the brass finger itself is very short, then they cut a square strip from the original board and splice it onto the PCB... I recently bought a circuit board, and I did the same, with good results.

View attachment 1488860

As for the grips, if I read them correctly, they use rivets........View attachment 1488873

View attachment 1488862
As for the shroud, I always thought they cracked when sanding it..... I can clearly see the crack here in this image. My other Heiland Strobonar is on its way, probably in a few days. I will trim the shroud then and see the effect...
Do you have the larger picture of the saber laying on its back?

The parts you're making looks great - and since you pointed out the notches in the T track, those look to me to be stops for sliding a window or something. I bet every so many feet there were notches like that and they just cut the track with whatever it looked like, that's so bizarre I wonder what it was now

Those may be rivets, or allen screws, not quite sure

And yes, the D ring was a layered composite build, the Energizer saber shroud was also built in layers, with glue it looks like

My shroud cracked in the same place and I used apoxie sculpt to fill it!

Ummm. and yes, I'm still on the fence about the Gx part. Those set screws are particular to early graflexes, and I don't see the slave logo, just a scratch in the silver paint revealing flat metal beneath.

The card? I don't see a splice seam line, can you show me again!?

Do you have the larger picture of the saber laying on its back?

The parts you're making looks great - and since you pointed out the notches in the T track, those look to me to be stops for sliding a window or something. I bet every so many feet there were notches like that and they just cut the track with whatever it looked like, that's so bizarre I wonder what it was now

Those may be rivets, or allen screws, not quite sure

And yes, the D ring was a layered composite build, the Energizer saber shroud was also built in layers, with glue it looks like

My shroud cracked in the same place and I used apoxie sculpt to fill it!

Ummm. and yes, I'm still on the fence about the Gx part. Those set screws are particular to early graflexes, and I don't see the slave logo, just a scratch in the silver paint revealing flat metal beneath.

The card? I don't see a splice seam line, can you show me again!?
View attachment 1488878
View attachment 1488879
View attachment 1488889
View attachment 1488890
View attachment 1488882I try to find the clearest image of this location in the picture I can see..... If not illusion.......

View attachment 1488878
View attachment 1488879
View attachment 1488889
View attachment 1488890
View attachment 1488882I try to find the clearest image of this location in the picture I can see..... If not illusion.......
excellent! I see it now, you're right, that does look like an extra bit stuffed in there.

I am going to sit with these photos and inspect them myself to see if I can help the research. Thank you SO much, I was at a standstill because I couldn't decide on construction

redbutton you should see these pictures! The project is not dead afterall! even though we have a different graflex piece, who has telegraph graflexes to chop up?! Lets just put some metric set screws in there

View attachment 1488847
View attachment 1488848
View attachment 1488858

View attachment 1488849
View attachment 1488866
View attachment 1488850
View attachment 1488851
View attachment 1488863
View attachment 1488859
View attachment 1488852
View attachment 1488853
View attachment 1488854
View attachment 1488855
View attachment 1488857

View attachment 1488860

View attachment 1488862
Did you design and print these yourself?

Did you design and print these yourself?

View attachment 1489161
View attachment 1489170

Yeah, based on what I can see with the naked eye. I don't know what the final appearance will be yet. There are some things I don't like in the modeling process that I have made a big imagination and may not be accurate.:oops:

View attachment 1489164
View attachment 1489165
View attachment 1489167
View attachment 1489171
View attachment 1489166
View attachment 1489168

Today, I tried to solve fixed problems with my friends, so far the progress is very smooth. Expect to see the final look soon.View attachment 1489169

Last edited:
I did the same thing with a wooden dowel! Nice work

Hold on..... was this used to mold the rubber "throw" vader saber? Let me get my hard drive out

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back