Tom's: Gary Kurtz Darth Vader Stunt Lightsaber

I "finished" my updated version of this hilt awhile back, as well, but didn't add those tiny screws.

0820191710.jpg
0820191711.jpg
0820191711_Burst01.jpg
0820191712.jpg
0820191712a.jpg

This is ironic, because at one time I actually thought that the Boba Fett "Uzi" blaster used a slave instead of a telegraph.

I mentioned the same thing about the telegraph-era screws to Kurtyboy quite awhile back!

I've still never seen a slave unit with those screws, but I'd not be surprised that they exist.

Thanks, folks! The most time-consuming part of all the upgrades was definitely all the little grip screws, but they make such a huge difference!

I did get some aluminum Tee for the grips, thanks for your help with that, Kurtyboy!

In the end, though, I modeled and printed my grips, and I made a decision to have them all be the same. For so long I had wondered and theorized about the RED on some of the tracks, and the way I achieved mine was a happy accident. In sanding and filling the printed grips, to make them look nicer, I used some Bondo spot putty. So I simply let some of the Bondo show through the black in certain areas, and I felt the look was pretty convincing.

I think the only other details that I may eventually change would be the aluminum control box rails (have been meaning to mill some from thicker stock), those tiny "Telegraph" screws, and I'm still not 100% sure one way or the other, whether the slimmer sides of the box are angled (like I have them, and like they are on the Energizer saber) or straight.

I wish I knew what the heck that part is under the "clamp" card, on the real one!

This is definitely a weird lightsaber, but I do like it. It's short, for a Vader hilt, that's for sure. And I will say, if there were never any Graflex Slave units made that had those "Telegraph"-era screws, and what was actually used was a cut-down "Telegraph" top, I'm sure as hell NOT EVER gonna chop MY Telegraph top! I'd drill and tap the holes in a regular Slave Unit before I did that! Heh

Mine are modified off the shelf aluminium T profile or red resin casts thereof.

Dann is the 3D print master! :)
Can you PM me with the alumin source you used? This would really help get abkickstart on the project again - i have silicone and resin now

Well, now that the top is probably a telegraph..

Anyway this project is still stalled until i get more material to scratchbuild things... but i thought it would be fun to point out that in the Frasier episode where Frasier and Niles learn to ride bikes, Marty their dad whips out a camera (looks like the Graflex with the window on top) and its got a Heiland Strobonar attached to the side!

Kind of an odd question but does anyone have measurements for the Graflex portion on this?
general overall length is good enough, I can adjust from there.
I'm not planning on using an actual (graflex) unit on my build and wanted to get the cut correct on the tube I'll be using.

Hi,

First I'd like to thank you guys for being such an inspiration when it comes to recreate the apocryphal Vader lightsaber props.

I've made my own replica from a strobonar bought on ebay, following your steps process. I miss the PCB card. Mine is almost as craptastic as the original, with uneven grip spaces and crudely made greeblies. I just didn't felt like painting it with silver spray and keep the uneven grips heights. In my humble opinion, that prop remains a great version of the design, despite the careless job made on the original. It is rather small Vader lightsaber.
P1020751.JPG
P1020754.JPG

I don't really remember if it's been debated or not on the thread, but it seems more than obvious the shroud has been cut down from the top. I can see Kurtyboy's version has the right shroud height by the way. I first thought it had to do with shooting angles but now I can compare my version to the original it seems pretty obvious to me.
line.jpg

That's just my two cents'worth :)

Good call on eschewing the silver paint. Looks really nice. I've always wanted to do one of these and it's too bad the slaves cost an arm and a leg now!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back