Tom is learning casting

Okay - so I feel this should be updated

First, I have a **** TON of one part molds. All original found parts or thing I sculpted. Everything from episode 1 knobs to ESB set pieces and Rotj scopes

Sooo I have a lot of parts, extra parts. I have a few listings in the Junkyard and an eBay store. I’m making all these things that I wanted over the years trying to build things.

Anyway, I tried making a two prt mold of my original Obi wan saber. Disaster. Somewhere… my mold lines did not close properly and it spilled everywhere, I couldn’t get it to work and chopped it up for mold filler on something else.

I gave up and managed to make a two part mold of a Gillette razor for my comlink project. Again, it’s small so I have extra… but I sealed the silicone grip with tamiya clear lacquer and some thinner+Vaseline and it worked beautifully. Remember every bump or detail will be duplicated so blow out all your cornstarch and clumps of Vaseline lol

Anyway, spurred by this I tried a simpler lightsaber, done the way they did during Ep 2 and 3. I machined my pipe stunt from scratch so I tried that. ( Romans Empire and I aren’t sure yet if this is his clamp or an original.. which goes to show how amazing his graflex replicas are) anyway… it worked. I bought a huge ass 3 inch pvc pipe, clayed my saber upright and poured the silicone

I recommend cutting your pipe first. I did not and dremelled it open very… very carefully.

Unfortunately the shroud is very thin and this much resin is rather heavy. My favorite kind of resin still had quite a few bubbles down there. Smooth on was thick enough to push my mold open and spill everywhere. Also, it doesn’t mix properly. I trust black onyx but the white stuff was trash, every cast has been crumbly and sticky! The mold has been cleaned with dawn and it’s drying.

That being said, it’s possible. I’m going to putty up the good casts. Weirdly, putting it back in the tube squashed the mold into an oval. Can’t figure that one out, but I see a lot of potential here. It’s very cool seeing a circuit board, black bolts and the graflex clamp and machining marks in the casts!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back