Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build 9/10

Re: Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build

JRPW0l.jpg

Shoulder def need more height. Pretty happy with the foam work on the chest.

Need to add a rigid curve to the bottom of the hip flaps. They bow out too much.

Legs...

BuPYTl.jpg

Not sure if I am totally happy with them. I would like more depth to them. I am trying to conserve the 1/4 inch foam I have. I might like them more when I do the cut outs in the back and add the red fabric.

hammer hand gauntlet.

tDQqCl.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it turned out, but i am a little hesitant because I am working on a few different ways to so the arms and I am worried the new arms will be too buff for these making is work a waste of time and foam. : |

Re: Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build 8/20 update

The budget......

So, my plans at a sub $150 dollar costume are going out the window for a few reasons.

1. I am really pleased with the way this is turning out and I know an extra 100 dollars would really set it over the top. The big difference is the arms. I am going at it two different ways to see how I can get the closest to what I want. Each of these ideas are going to cost around 50 bucks to try. I would rather sink the money into it and call it learning then not try to do my best.

2. The costume has future plans. It will be worn probably 3-4 more times before going off to it's next home. That means sinking the extra money in to it is justified.

3. If you are going to get wet, you may as well go swimming. : )

Legs...

BuPYTl.jpg

Not sure if I am totally happy with them. I would like more depth to them. I am trying to conserve the 1/4 inch foam I have. I might like them more when I do the cut outs in the back and add the red fabric.

Pull out the handy soldering iron to add some depth, wont cost you any foam and I've seen very god results with that

Pull out the handy soldering iron to add some depth, wont cost you any foam and I've seen very god results with that

Thats a great suggestion. I didn't think of that.

I dont think I will try it though. I find it is too inconsistent and I can get much cleaner lines by layering foam.

Fixed up the helm that came with the suit. Lined the whole think in 1/4 EVA and flared out the wings for effect.

mtMgNl.jpg

I also added height to the shoulders.

cCbgul.jpg

I know the helm and shoulder are exaggerated in scale, but I love the effect and it gives it a larger then life feel.

S72ENl.jpg

myspace shot. Pulling the straps tighter. Need to adjust those.

4YOZIl.jpg

favorite shot yet.

SvUpRl.jpg

Re: Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build 8/21

I am completely floored by how versatile using eva foam can be.

QUESTION:
How durable is it? I mean, I assume the costume won't be used for any major rough-housing . . . but how well will it withstand marginal contact and/or longevity?

Is there a protective coating one might use to further strengthen the foam?

Update:

I am almost ready for paint. I am doing Doc Holiday's method. I have the heat seal, mod podge and plasti dip done. Need to get to an autozone for adhesion promoter and paint.

I ran over the surface with a heat gun. Helps close the pores in the foam is my understanding. It does change the color of the foam and makes it more glossy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back