Thinking of going to SDCC 2012

UKscout

guys

Myself and my nephew are planning to goto SDCC in 2012, we are planning on flying from the UK to San Diego for the 3 day event next year and staying for approx a week.

I'm going to need some heads up on the following below as this will be my 1st time to San Diego.

My wife has given her approval, funding for the hol's is depending on how much extra work I can get to pay for the week in the states and also spending money.

So I have a few questions for any San Diego locals

Q1.Where to stay near the event?
Q2. What to do in the evenings?
Q3. Best places to visit whilst not at SDCC
Q4. Best place to shop i.e. clothes etc....
Q5. Best places to avoid i.e. troubled areas where locals don't even go

cheers

I flew out from London for this years SDCC. It was my first time. FYI it's 4 days NOT 3. I stayed at 500 West. It's a hostel type hotel. Private rooms with shared bathrooms. There's a diner attached. It's a friendly place. It took me about 15 minutes to walk to the convention centre. En-route there is a shopping precinct full of good shops and a cinema. I spent most of my evenings sleeping as I was exhausted from walking all day. My only piece of advice, and one I'm going to stick by next time is FLY DIRECT! I flew into Chicago and missed my connection. Had to spend 8 hours at O'Hare for the next available flight.

cheers

Been going to comic-con for 7 years or so now, so can help you with some of your questions.
1. The closest hotels that SDCC have arrangements with become available during the early part of the year. Keep an eye out on the official website for details. There is a huge rush at this time, and it is a bit of a lottery, but the prices are better than booking direct, and the closest hotels overlook the conference center.

I've also stayed a little further out in Chula Vista and relied on the trolley to get around, it's regular and fairly reliable, but not my first choice anymore.

2. During SDCC itself, there's plenty to keep you busy. This last con, there were live shows and hosted events, both in and away from the conference centre. For the other days I can't really say.

3. Seaworld and the Hotel Del Coronado are a good idea.

4. The convention centre is blocks away from shopping and malls. There are also a few outlet malls with bigger discounts worth considering too.

5. Never really experienced that problem.

guys

cheers

The Marriot, the Omni, the hyatt are all nice, but good luck getting a room. Hostel? I would give that a try.

The trolley stops right in front of the convention center. So if you get a hotel out in fashion valley, don't worry, but remember, the trolley stops running at 11pm.

The convention center is adjacent to the Gas Lamp District, which is all pubs and restaurants. There are LOTS of bars food, entertainment etc.

Visit the San Diego Tourist Bureau for all info San Diego. There is Sea World, Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, the beaches, Lego Land.

Avoid? Not really. San Diego is an upscale community. You would have to go searching for the bad neighborhoods.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back