Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

In "Forbidden Planet", Dr. Morbius states that there are no records of the Krell's appearance. But he also says that the Krell library terminal also has all the entire knowledge of the Krell race. Wouldn't that also mean that the library has all the art and medical knowledge?

David.
Were they not invisible though or was that just his manifestation of one ?
But then you do see an outline of one when it trips or gets fired upon ?

Last edited:
I dont recall any toilets in any future or SciFi movies and going by the costumes in TNG it looked like Picard and crew were stitched into theirs and couldn't if they wanted too..
Remember:

3 seashells.png

I dont recall any toilets in any future or SciFi movies and going by the costumes in TNG it looked like Picard and crew were stitched into theirs and couldn't if they wanted too..
I don't know if that natural part of life could add/remove anything from a story point of view. Who knows, maybe in the future, we'll find some kind of DNA tweak that will keep human go to the bathroom altogether:lol:

I don't know if that natural part of life could add/remove anything from a story point of view. Who knows, maybe in the future, we'll find some kind of DNA tweak that will keep human go to the bathroom altogether:lol:
Actually I seem to remember some Horror movie where a symbiotic organism entered a human via their genitals

Edit: I might be thinking of the scene from Shivers or Peter Jacksons BrainDead even ?

This is primarily ST, but happens in other scifi. How do all humans immediately know how to operate alien technology/ships? Obviously the story says so, but still... At least in Stargate, you have Daniel and Carter who have expertise in Ancient/Goa'uld cultures and technology so it makes sense.
Enterprise and Voyager were particularly guilty of this. In Enterprise the Federation/Earth hasn't been exploring space at warp speeds for very long yet, so how could the crew on the Enterprise have very much familiarity with alien starships and their tech. And in the case of Voyage, they're in a completely different part of the galaxy from where the Federation and Starfleet are from and the Delta Quadrant would almost certainly have come up with different ways of achieving warp speeds, different enough that the Voyager crew shouldn't be able to take a look at an alien and immediately know how to operate any of their systems and/or know how to fix anything wrong with it.

Enterprise and Voyager were particularly guilty of this. In Enterprise the Federation/Earth hasn't been exploring space at warp speeds for very long yet, so how could the crew on the Enterprise have very much familiarity with alien starships and their tech. And in the case of Voyage, they're in a completely different part of the galaxy from where the Federation and Starfleet are from and the Delta Quadrant would almost certainly have come up with different ways of achieving warp speeds, different enough that the Voyager crew shouldn't be able to take a look at an alien and immediately know how to operate any of their systems and/or know how to fix anything wrong with it.
Easy...doesn't matter which galaxy they are in, there is always a handy drop down hatch under a console just like under a dash in a car with handy coloured live earth and neutral wires that drop down on command waiting to be fixed..

In the 50’s Superman with Chris Reeves, a bad guy would empty his gun with bullets bouncing off of Supe‘s chest. When the gun is empty, bad guy throws the gun and Supes and he DUCKS!
I have an old Superman issue with a one-page short story about Superman's invulnerability. It was established that his hair was also "super" and could not be cut with ordinary scissors. After a short contact with some Kryptonite his strength weakened for a few hours so that he had the idea to see a hairdresser in order to further solidify his appearance as Clark Kent. In the final image his strength was fully restored again which then caused the scissors to break and left a puzzled hairdresser. While this was a very fun sketch this idea caused serious issues regarding Superman's everyday life. If his hair grows and if it is as strong as the rest of his body - how does he shave his beard? How does he cut his fingernails? How does he get rid of a pimple? Supi / Clark would look like a caveman in no time... :D

I have an old Superman issue with a one-page short story about Superman's invulnerability. It was established that his hair was also "super" and could not be cut with ordinary scissors. After a short contact with some Kryptonite his strength weakened for a few hours so that he had the idea to see a hairdresser in order to further solidify his appearance as Clark Kent. In the final image his strength was fully restored again which then caused the scissors to break and left a puzzled hairdresser. While this was a very fun sketch this idea caused serious issues regarding Superman's everyday life. If his hair grows and if it is as strong as the rest of his body - how does he shave his beard? How does he cut his fingernails? How does he get rid of a pimple? Supi / Clark would look like a caveman in no time... :D
Imagine using the loo or making out with louis :eek:

It may not have been Superman, but I've seen elsewhere with invulnerable characters like Supes that also have heat beams using their heat beams and a small handheld mirror to shave with. In theory, this could be used to do other forms of grooming, although cutting your hair that way would probably be pretty tricky to do neatly.

It may not have been Superman, but I've seen elsewhere with invulnerable characters like Supes that also have heat beams using their heat beams and a small handheld mirror to shave with. In theory, this could be used to do other forms of grooming, although cutting your hair that way would probably be pretty tricky to do neatly.
Maybe a daily meet'n'greet with Cyclops? -Oh, wrong franchise..! :D

I have another. How come that you never see sweat stains on super hero costumes? I'm not a super hero but I do a lot of courier service, so I know how fast your shirt may get wet when you wear a suit. But they wear full body armour, do all the acrobatics, fighting and then later they party in the same outfits without sweating to death. I'm looking at you, Tony, Cap, Thor..! ;)

I have another. How come that you never see sweat stains on super hero costumes? I'm not a super hero but I do a lot of courier service, so I know how fast your shirt may get wet when you wear a suit. But they wear full body armour, do all the acrobatics, fighting and then later they party in the same outfits without sweating to death. I'm looking at you, Tony, Cap, Thor..! ;)
Simple, their cosutmes are made from super advanced moisture wicking technology that hasn't made its way to the civilian sector yet.

I've always wondered about mixed technology that doesn't seem to come from the same era:
  • 'Laser' style weapons in Captain America that people don't have now, let alone in the 1940s
  • Bipedal robots with AI who look and generally act like humans, in shows and moves where tech is limited in every other way. I've talked with several folks at NASA and they've told me the toughest thing to engineer that people really want is anything that walks on two legs. Just ask any parent raising a kid from birth; walking is freaking hard even with a good brain that can judge the changes in the path and instantly adjust for that. One said that he couldn't imagine his grandkids living long enough to see any practical application of that

DS9 did it to. I just rewatched it and in the episode "Captive Pursuit" O'Brien helps an alien from the Gamma quadrant that they've never encountered and I think they remark on his ship being completely unknown. However O'Brien goes in and helps him fix his ship, while admitting he doesn't know what anything is or what it does. Granted the alien is assisting, but still.

The Jupiter II had a full bathroom, sink, toilet, and a neon lit shower. CBS would never let them show it! :lol:

David.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back