The Ultimate Amazing Spider-Man 2 Suit Project

You might be onto something actually, for the red material and thinner blue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. It was just a thought but it does seem plausible given the slight stretch on the mask (pics 3/28 & 15/28) that's on display at the arclight with slightly larger wave/creases than what's obvious on the blue portion (despite the differences between the amount of bend {armpit vs head turn}. Overall you may very well be able to see that it's a thicker material
(Not hating on Lunaman)

Okay. Well yes, I 100% agree with you that something of the complete wetsuit thickness is a little rediculous but I did go back and watch the new movie three times and each time paying very close attention and the fabric that was within did have a triangular seam with two fairly thick pieces of fabric sewn together. Plus, the red fabric is the only fabric that is barely ever seen creased as it's kept tight most likely on purpose. Plus you must pay attention to the brick pattern as it *is* definitely too flat and thin to be any sort of puff paint. In addition to that, forgetting the scene in the first movie with the screen printer. Oracle1982's screen printed fabric looked nearly *identical* to the suit on display at the arclight. Also, you must take into account that there isn't just one suit that they made for the movie, and in the previous movie they made well over two dozen suits for production with some being made for different functions and scenes. Alright, ha, I'm not trying to argue. I'm just stating that all of these are possibilities. Plus neoprene would give a durable feel to the movie while making it useful for production. Just sayin [emoji12]

PS: I really admire your work. Great job
Good gravy, I'm not disputing the screen-printing (I've said several times already in this thread that the bricks and webs are screen printing). I'm disputing your assumption that movie scenes are useful as evidence and that the fabric, which I have seen with my eyes from a few inches away and can tell you is a knit fabric, is somehow a neoprene rubber like a wetsuit.
I don't believe anyone here honestly ever thought that they used cheap puff paint applied by hand on on a $10,000 FILM SUIT, I don't know what imaginary opponents you think you're knocking down with that one, dude. But thanks for the kind words in between all the silliness. I'm not mad or anything, I just think we're talking past each other.

The red is not thicker than the blue and is seen creasing all the time. The arclight display has very few creases because it's stretched out on a static mannequin.
9mhhqnZ.jpg

cbLfUDU.jpg

RSnMmrX.jpg
397RYFh.jpg

HPuU73Y.jpg

Last edited:
Good gravy, I'm not disputing the screen-printing (I've said several times already in this thread that the bricks and webs are screen printing). I'm disputing your assumption that movie scenes are useful as evidence and that the fabric, which I have seen with my eyes from a few inches away and can tell you is a knit fabric, is somehow a neoprene rubber like a wetsuit.
I don't believe anyone here honestly ever thought that they used cheap puff paint applied by hand on on a $10,000 FILM SUIT, I don't know what imaginary opponents you think you're knocking down with that one, dude. But thanks for the kind words in between all the silliness. I'm not mad or anything, I just think we're talking past each other.

The red is not thicker than the blue and is seen creasing all the time. The arclight display has very few creases because it's stretched out on a static mannequin.
http://i.imgur.com/9mhhqnZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cbLfUDU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RSnMmrX.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/397RYFh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HPuU73Y.jpg

Ah yes. Okay I believe that. The webs definitely aren't screen printed and no, movie scenes probably aren't the greatest thing to go by at all. Now I do see that the red isn't thicker on that suit at all as it must be able to move as freely as the person. Plus one of the suits in the movie was obviously a three piece suit with a short portion, the tights portion and finally the mask portion and isn't very realistic in using a suit for the actual movie. Sorry bro. Anyway, do you think that it could be something other than spandex?

Also, don't you maybe think that there's even a slight possibility that they made a special neoprene top just for that scene to possibly match the movie?

Last edited:
Probably like 99% sure it's some high-spandex blend. And no, I doubt they'd make a one-off neoprene top just to match a line of dialogue in the movie.

Probably like 99% sure it's some high-spandex blend. And no, I doubt they'd make a one-off neoprene top just to match a line of dialogue in the movie.

Well, it wouldn't cost a million dollars to do so. And besides, it's all about the detail nowadays right? I'll bet it would make the fans who noticed happy haha. Anyways, whatever you're probably like 99% right ha. Amirite?

No Spidey Suits have been neoprene! No further discussion needed. (SOURCE: I have over 10 years of my life invested in researching each Spidey Suit at this point)

The bricks on the blue sections are likely plastisol screen printing ink with a stretch additive.

The bricks on the red sections are likely NOT plastisols, (Hence their lack of sheen) but would still require a stretch additive to prevent cracking.

Moving on...

-Nick

The bricks on the red sections are likely NOT plastisols, (Hence their lack of sheen) but would still require a stretch additive to prevent cracking.
Also likely because of the fact that the red bricks look like they're transferred into the fabric and not just sitting on top of it.

I'm not sure what you mean. We're saying that it's likely that plastisol is the material used for screen printing the bricks on the blue fabric.

I'm not sure what you mean. We're saying that it's likely that plastisol is the material used for screen printing the bricks on the blue fabric.

Well yes. Sorry for the confusion that's what I mean. Do you think that there are any businesses or whatever that will print plastisol?

Alright. After all of this looking and reading I feel pretty stupid about thinking that any part of the suit might be neoprene. Truly I pretty much have no idea of what I was thinking and I obviously have very little experience in this stuff compared to you guys. Heck I'm only fifteen. Ha. I would really like to find what the true material is though. Sorry guys for wasting your time. I hope to see where all of this stuff goes

Alright. After all of this looking and reading I feel pretty stupid about thinking that any part of the suit might be neoprene. Truly I pretty much have no idea of what I was thinking and I obviously have very little experience in this stuff compared to you guys. Heck I'm only fifteen. Ha. I would really like to find what the true material is though. Sorry guys for wasting your time. I hope to see where all of this stuff goes
No need to "stop wasting our time" I started my Spidey journey at 16 or 17. I didn't have the money to actually make the costumes then, so I invested my time entirely into research. We all start where you are now, you just have a benefit of having a bunch of old timers, like me, to help guide you. When I was starting, there were no old timers. So we all learned together.

Just keep seeking information and knowledge and you'll be alright. That's what I did, and I'm still hanging around in the Spidey world now at 27...and I'm just as excited by it all as I was when I was 16.

I'm not sure we yet have a good "inside source" to tell us what exactly the fabric is, and the hi-res shots we have haven't shown the "tooth" of the fabric enough for me to make a guess, but I'm not entirely sure it's Spandex, milliskin or otherwise. Looking at the wrists in particular, in the way it bunches, there is a bit more body to it than I would expect with milliskin. Moleskin spandex is a thought, but I don't have enough experience with it to know how close that would come in approximating the look.

Lunaman, knows why I'm suggesting this, but another possibility would be stretch nylon tricot fabric. ;) Since it only has a stretch component in it and isn't a pure stretch fabric, that, also could account for the bunching we see.

...there are dozens of other fabrics that it could be as well, but it has to have a spandex/lycra component if it isn't spandex/lycra itself. Now let's see how deep this fabric rabbit hole goes.

-Nick

No need to "stop wasting our time" I started my Spidey journey at 16 or 17. I didn't have the money to actually make the costumes then, so I invested my time entirely into research. We all start where you are now, you just have a benefit of having a bunch of old timers, like me, to help guide you. When I was starting, there were no old timers. So we all learned together.

Just keep seeking information and knowledge and you'll be alright. That's what I did, and I'm still hanging around in the Spidey world now at 27...and I'm just as excited by it all as I was when I was 16.

I'm not sure we yet have a good "inside source" to tell us what exactly the fabric is, and the hi-res shots we have haven't shown the "tooth" of the fabric enough for me to make a guess, but I'm not entirely sure it's Spandex, milliskin or otherwise. Looking at the wrists in particular, in the way it bunches, there is a bit more body to it than I would expect with milliskin. Moleskin spandex is a thought, but I don't have enough experience with it to know how close that would come in approximating the look.

Lunaman, knows why I'm suggesting this, but another possibility would be stretch nylon tricot fabric. ;) Since it only has a stretch component in it and isn't a pure stretch fabric, that, also could account for the bunching we see.

...there are dozens of other fabrics that it could be as well, but it has to have a spandex/lycra component if it isn't spandex/lycra itself. Now let's see how deep this fabric rabbit hole goes.

-Nick

Ha. Well thanks man. I guess I do actually have to start somewhere and yes I definitely don't have the money right now to buy/create my own suit so all I can really do is read right now. You guys are really good at this and I appreciate all of the time and work that you guys invest in making these suits. I definitely hope to be able to make something by the time TASM 3 comes out. Well thanks a million man. You're quite inspiring I must say for myself. I hope that we can find out what kind of material was actually used on the real suit.

thought I'd update this thread with some sweet behind the scene shots, where we get a good look at the back of the costume and the stund used undersoles, which do look very grippy.

stunt back.jpg

stunt sole.jpg

they are some huge resolution images, so make sure you open them in a new tab to dig in all the details

Hey whattya know, the soles are completely unmodified vans soles. :cool If anybody is familiar with skating/skate shoes, you'll recognize these by the waffle pattern throughout with the additional honeycomb in the upper portion of the sole,

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.46.33 PM.png vans-waffle-sole.jpg

I bought a pair of cheap air walks, $19 at Payless Shoe. The pattern on the bottom has a cool honeycomb appearance like webbing and is black. The vans are expensive. A shame to rip them apart. Does anyone know for certain what's on the inside of the shoe? Because there is a definitive toe crease as if he is using a kung fu type slipper.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back