The Tick live action series costume props

Found my original notes from XFX I made back in the day, Mark Setrakian made all of the hero animatronic ears, at that time he worked for Rick Baker.

KNB did the pilot suits and I was told that all of the XFX suits were made from the KNB molds and assembled in a different way.

The XFX rep I spoke with I think Bob Newtown, said that XFX didn't make any of the ears and had none to sell with the suits.

Now I'm pissed if they were holding out. :cry

Dex

wow those are some very good notes! i was always fascinated by the antennas used for the show. I think i heard that they were controlled off camera by R/C by a puppeteer?

everytime i look at my cowl, i think to msyelf "puddy from seinfeld wore that mask" lol

wow those are some very good notes! i was always fascinated by the antennas used for the show. I think i heard that they were controlled off camera by R/C by a puppeteer?

Thats correct, I believe.
The ones I saw in the XFX machine shop were hollow vacu-form segments with R/C servos in them.
I cant remember where the receiver and batteries were concealed on the actor.
:confused

:eek

forgive me for saying so, but i think they would have concealed the receiver in the "box" crotch area of the suit lol. sorry i had to say it lol.

was just reading a great book called "age of tv heroes" and the last few page were a chapter about the tick live tv show. Was pretty great to read the actor playing the tick talk about the costume and how much work went into the show.

did anyone here ever get any of the other props from the show. im thinking on making a custom 1/6 figure of the tv tick. i did love that show.

they have just started to show the live action series in the uk, tonight actually, and i love the tick! does anyone know how to make one?

I think the reason the live action show didn't make it was first they changed the names of American Maid and Dieflatermous to Captian Liberty and Bat Manuel... I could over see that little change, but the jokes weren't as funny, the slapstick wasn't there, and the whole episode where the Tick was battling the evil Toilet was just stupid. They really needed to have the writers for the cartoon series write for the Live Action one. They needed to bring in the Sewer Urchin, Zipperneck and Chairface Chippendale. Hell... even if they did one episode live it should have been just a remake of the entire Super Hero Bar scene with Barry the Tick showed up with the Mad Bomber who Bombs as Midnight Baby YEAH! Or even the whole Thrackazogg episode with the evil creature living down the hall with a roommate who cloned the Tick from his Uncommon Cold mucas making a gelatious icky Tick clone... or even what about the episode with jogging Whale... or Pigleg, the Idea Men... and lets not forget Protoclown! Comon... not a single one of the really good references of the cartoon series even were mentioned in the live action series. Even Warburtons dialog made him sound like an idiot... at least the Tick in the cartoon sounded sincere... with long diatribes about how Lady Justice would always win out over the cookie crumbles of crime or some such non-sense and just go on and on until Arthur would just shake his head and start walking away. The Tick was at least verbose when he talked... He sounded like a Superhero... really was disappointed in the live action series and I was a BIG FAN of the Tick (if you haven't noticed). I've got every episode of the Tick both cartoon and live action and watch them from time to time for a good laugh. I think the whole series running joke about the Moon was hilarious... First Chairface tried writing his name on teh surface with a giant laser and only got CHA written before he was thwarted... then they send the Tick up there to fix it and he only got rid of the C leaving HA across the surface... then the giant planet eater took a bite out of it... I swear, just complete and total genius those writers were. In my opinion the Live Action series came about when someone in Hollywood said "lets make a live action series" and then the execs just gave some writers a couple of the cartoon episodes and said "Ok... make me a series!" If they make another attempt at this I hope to god they get it right this time. If anything all the writing has already been done... just take a cartoon episode, transcribe it, and shoot some film! EASY! Ok... I'll get off my soapbox now... sorry about that!

Last edited:
That's cool they are giving the show in the UK i hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I was so glad this week when i was able to purchase effect photos from the Tick live action series. its a lot of pictures from the costumes and how they were made. its like a goldmine for me with tons of eye candy since i loved the tick show so much.

I was lucky to spot a few pics of my hero cowl in their as well which made me happy! here is a photo of some of the pics in the binder.

xl_tick2.jpg

Hey there everyone, I'm a new member, not sure if anyone's still interested in this thread but I'm a Tick Live Action fan and am the proud owner of TWO Tick costumes AND the Destroyo costume. They're at the back of a cupboard atm but if this thread's still got interest I'll try and dig them out and take some pics :)

Hey there everyone, I'm a new member, not sure if anyone's still interested in this thread but I'm a Tick Live Action fan and am the proud owner of TWO Tick costumes AND the Destroyo costume. They're at the back of a cupboard atm but if this thread's still got interest I'll try and dig them out and take some pics :)

I'd love to see them:thumbsup

I REALLY hate to say this,...but I never saw the live action Tick series, but I LOVED, LOVED-LOVED-LOVED, LOVE LOVE-LOVED the animated series.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back