The thing that is missing from Predators

JehdinThwei

This has been in the back of my mind for some time, and it finally tickled my conscious thought.

In all of the previous Predator films, we were able to get an inside look at something personal done by our alien hunter.

In Predator we were able to be alone with Anytime while he polished a skull, dressed a wound, and prepared for battle. Just him and us....hanging out for moments at a time while we got to see some of his gear and personal behavior ("behaviour" for those in the UK)

Likewise in Predator 2, we were up close and personal with Pussyface while he cleaned a skull, and dressed his wounds in the bathroom...all the while seeing more technical gear and getting a very intimate view of him; just us and him.

AVP
, we saw the inside of the ship with the Preds preparing, the holographic images they displayed while tracking what was going on in the Pyramid, a personal rite of passage as Scar blooded himself. ....more "one on one" with the Predator and the viewer.

AVP-R: Healing his wound in the tree by the graveyard, landing in the water and coming out of the lake by himself, setting the mines for the bugs, clips of his chase while he was alone, and in the extended version we got to see Wolf mourn over his fallen comrade, do some techy stuff to enable him to track the face-huggers, and go around cleaning up the mess.... not to mention a clip of his home world and the onset of his quest; picking out his biohelmet and weapons of choice.

All of these things allowed us, the viewer and fan, to get close to our hero. He might be a monster to many, but to the true fan he is the hero of the stories.

In Predators, we got none of the "personal glimpse". None of the inside looks to their behavior or gear. We only saw what the humans saw except for the single scene where we saw them all for the first time in the camp when the falcon landed on Falconer's shoulder; but even that was a sort of introduction and first glimpse with no real "inside look". We never got to spend any alone time with any of the Predators. There were never any times we got to see them prepare, dress a wound, plot, plan, polish a trophy or gear up. The closest we came was when Classic put his mask on and charged up his suit, but that was seen by Royce and not exclusive to us, so we never got to see any of the Predators in a way that tied us to them personally....one on one with the viewer. Every scene was looking at them as an outside force of unknown hunters hunting the human "heroes" of the film. We were never allowed any closeness or intimacy (a close association with or detailed knowledge or deep understanding of a place, subject, period of history, etc.) at all. In fact, I believe the only time we saw a Predator alone was when Tracker detected heat from the blast inside the drill, and we saw him for like 2 seconds.

In my opinion, this was a huge oversight by Antal and Rodriguez. Their creatures were bad-ass, cool, techy, raw, wild, scary almost (word used loosely), ....but we were never able to bond with them.

Does this make sense or am I alone in this thought :)

Do you think it was intentional by the directors or an oversight? Should they do another, I hope we get to see more "personal" glimpses of who I consider the star of the film. :(

Thoughts?

You want Predator "bonding and intimacy" in the next movie?! Bahahaha! Totally kidding...I actually do understand what you mean. They are skilled hunters with some cool technology at their disposal. Of course we want to see the way they got a skinned body hanging from the treetops in the matter of a few minutes. I do enjoy seeing how Preds cauterise a gaping wound.

The one thing that you forgot to mention about Predators that was pivotal and never seen before was the hunting camp. We saw the bad blood crazy ass Predators torturing one of their own by hanging him stripped of all his armor. They should have done more with it, but it was still cool to see.

You want Predator "bonding and intimacy" in the next movie?! Bahahaha! Totally kidding...

:(

Is it wrong? :)

Yes, the hunting camp was cool and an inside look. Good point. There were a few UNIQUE and cutting edge components to this film that made it stand out. In fact, it is my 2nd fav next to Predator, so I loved this film. It just seems that this was missing; there were no mano a mano (sp?) scenes with the good guys (Preds).

As you say, predators was the hero of the storys. But in Predators, we can see the worst of there kind,the super predators,those who hunt "our old school heros" I say the director dont want it to see them alone, so the viewer dont identify oneself with the super preds,they stay as bad as they are. If you ask me,i say its a real good movie,why? Becuase they "cook" from the same materials, the big man with big machinegun,the tribal man who stay back to fight and sacrafice himself,the woman,the leader,the traitor, a few man in the same jungle,but the story comes more lively,more twisted... a few man in the same jungle hunt,but with a real differnt look. By the way, its a bit + for me,that Antal Nimród is also from my country.

As you say, predators was the hero of the storys. But in Predators, we can see the worst of there kind,the super predators,those who hunt "our old school heros" I say the director dont want it to see them alone, so the viewer dont identify oneself with the super preds,they stay as bad as they are. If you ask me,i say its a real good movie,why? Becuase they "cook" from the same materials, the big man with big machinegun,the tribal man who stay back to fight and sacrafice himself,the woman,the leader,the traitor, a few man in the same jungle,but the story comes more lively,more twisted... a few man in the same jungle hunt,but with a real differnt look. By the way, its a bit + for me,that Antal Nimród is also from my country.

Great point regarding Nimrod's intention with these super preds. That makes complete sense. Thanks for posting :(

i see where you coming from man and i agree it needed a more in depth aproach to the predator side of the film like AVP was split into 2 parts te human side and the predator side so you could connect with all the charichters and learn about them both predator and human and even xeno a little hehe but predators wasnt untill royce met up with classic was 100% human with slights glimpses and hints to the predators and then when royce met up with classic you got to see how the classic and beserker interscted and acted individually and learn about them as charichters

if we had a few more scenes of the besekers like we did the AVP preds all hunting together and comunicating with eachother showing the hierachy of the SB preds

tbh i didnt like mr black anyway but i loved the other 2 they had skills different to ther predators what did mr black zilch he was just a big mother f&%ker thats it

sorry about spelling its like 1:30am here in uk hehe

They have dragged the point in the movies from the hunters, the main characters to the prey, the background characters in fact a movie dedicated to the gear and the Predatorsit would be perfect you have shown me the light, Predators is a terrible movei

I dont understand those whos dislike Predators. As i said before, it has the same basic line,the jungle hunt,as the good old P1,but with a way different, who,and how can make a movie better, without the feeling "its a clone of the P1" ? It does not arise in me if i watch the movie. Not a gnawed bone. With the alliance of Royce and the old predator makes the good old predator more heroic to us, like Scar in AVP.

I tell you guys something,which i am sure you dont know. :( "Nimród" is a many thousand years old Hungarian name, the Huns call the Orion constellation as Nimród. It means "the hunter".

tn_aid3486_20071226200338_72.jpeg

the Orion constellation, looks like a Man with a bow.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite scenes from ‘Predator 87’ are actually the “one on one” scenes. I love them and savor them!!!
One of my favorite “one on ones” is where the Predator - alone in his treetop hideout - caresses one of his recently acquired skulls. He gently, almost appreciatively runs a huge taloned finger across the skull’s crown and brow area. The action speaks volumes
It spoke of how the Predator is capable of expressing/feeling a depth/range of emotions; he’s capable of feeling more than a basic animal killing instinct. We get a since of pleasure, a slight hint of obsession and a feeling of accomplishment and pride from his action in that scene.
I think this makes the Predator more disturbing to viewers…and more dangerous to the commandos. When one kills for hunger the danger’s over once the appetite is sated. When one kills out of fear the dangers over once the threat is removed.
With the Predator, it’s pleasure (on a base level) along with some other ‘higher’ motive that drove him to hunt. The skull scene clearly shows this. The Predator cherished those skulls. He had them all lined up in a neat row. I bet he took the time to admire each one of them.
This was the scene in which the Predator had managed to intrigue me greatly, as well as remove the “killer beast’” aspect he held. I found myself wanting to know more about his guy…as there was definitely something more to him.

‘Predator 87’ gave us little glimpses into the Predator’s private moments in order to switch things up in the film and would pull back before the creature ‘stole the show’. We could clearly see via the “one on ones” that “this thing” hunting them wasn’t a mindless horror. What the Predator did to them was horrid, but not the predator himself.
Speaking for myself, once ‘Predator 87’ started showing the “One on ones”, My focus was shifted from the commandos to the Predator. I saw an aspect of the Predator they could not and it clearly changed things in the film from my perspective. Maybe they were trying to avoid this in Predators?
~Estelle

I dont understand those whos dislike Predators. As i said before, it has the same basic line,the jungle hunt,as the good old P1,but with a way different, who,and how can make a movie better, without the feeling "its a clone of the P1" ? It does not arise in me if i watch the movie. Not a gnawed bone. With the alliance of Royce and the old predator makes the good old predator more heroic to us, like Scar in AVP.

I tell you guys something,which i am sure you dont know. :( "Nimród" is a many thousand years old Hungarian name, the Huns call the Orion constellation as Nimród. It means "the hunter".

the Orion constellation, looks like a Man with a bow.

A true predator is not supposed to be heroic.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely understand where you're coming from as for the "one on one" time on the screen. There could be two main reasons, one is just like wulwhite mentioned...the other is that there is going to be more then one "Predators" movies and perhaps he just wanted to "introduce" us to these new hunters. The first movie could be just to show us a little bit about them. The next could be to show us a little more. They did the same basic thing in "Predator" and "Predator 2". In Predator, we saw the hunter a little bit to basically understand him. That he hunts to collect trophies and we saw him fix his battle damage. That's basically it. In Predator 2, we saw a little more, especially at the ending. At the ending, we saw a glimpse into what was a Predator Clan with the Elder and Lost Hunters. We also saw that the humans weren't the only species that they hunt.

There wasn't a lot of time for just us and our new hunter. Mainly at the camp when the falcon returned, Tracker seeing the explosion, Mr Black and Falconer after he ripped Stan's Spine out, Falconer jumping down and stalking the group, Mr Black walking towards the camp right before Isabel was caught in the trap, and Mr Black running after Royce when he went to the ship and blowing the ship up. Those are pretty much the only "one on one" times. I do believe that Rob Rod and Nimrod Antal are building up to the next movie, so I'm very anxious to see it.

But, as far as the "skinned trophy". There is at least one skinned trophy at the hunting camp, although I'd be a betting man to say it's not a human carcass.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back