The Thing prequel

I just read up on the 1982 and saw the extras features. Carpenter took its critical and fan failure quite hard. He said his career would have been different if it had been a success.

There's a good chance that it may have been different. When it comes to Hollywood careers, a film can make or break a career, no matter how hard the talent tries to continue it on. A good example is actor Michael Beck. He said the following, which is a true statement about how Hollywood works: "The Warriors opened a lot of doors in film for me, which Xanadu then closed."

And the funny thing is this: No one in Hollywood knows what will be a hit or a miss. If they did, then all films would be successes. However, they know when something is potentially going to be a failure (all the actors and producers of the film Bonfire of the Vanities knew it while they were filming it).

Last edited:
just got this on DVD. complaints of bad CGI must be from a different film from the one i saw. i thought it was a cracking film, very faithful/respectful to JC's.

just got this on DVD. complaints of bad CGI must be from a different film from the one i saw. i thought it was a cracking film, very faithful/respectful to JC's.

Actually, the complaints weren't that the CG was bad. The complaints were that there was way too much CG and not enough practical effects, which the director stated that they were going use a lot of practical effects for the film.

They did use a lot of practical effects for the film. They just didn't use any of them them. The guy's chest ripping open in the helicopter? The creation of split face? All shot practically with on-screen effects.

They may have been practical on set, but during the post-production stage, they were replaced with CG. That's the complaint that most of us had, especially when we discovered the director had intended to use more practical effects and limit the CG use.

if you listen to the commentary, they was as disappointed as most fans. some people seemed to imply they changed to CGI just because it was cool or something. end of the day, on a limited budget you've got to do what best serves the project. i don't care, basically, as the end result was stonking. in fact, the only CGI that jumped out at me was some of the fire effects, all the creature effects (well, ok - apart from the initial leap out the iceblock move) were flawless.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back