The Secret Life Of Pets (Post-release)

Re: The Secret Life Of Pets

I enjoyed the trailer... but I think it would work better as shorts than a full length movie. I can't see myself sitting through an hour and a half to two hours of that.

Well imagine how long 2 hours is to a pet.

Imagine if at the end of the movie, after all this adventure/plot has unfolded, we hear the door open and an owner finally returns only to reveal that s/he has been gone for less than 5 minutes and had just forgotten his/her keys.

Saw it yesterday and it looks great. Loved the poodle at the end.

Edit: saw the trailer, not the movie.

Last edited:

Imagine if at the end of the movie, after all this adventure/plot has unfolded, we hear the door open and an owner finally returns only to reveal that s/he has been gone for less than 5 minutes and had just forgotten his/her keys.

Thanks for the spoiler, haha

That would be brilliant.

I have a sneaking suspicion that most of that was written just for the trailer. I expect only the two talking at the beginning are actually in the film.

Got to see an early screening of this last weekend, it's quite entertaining and funny even for adults. Not nearly as much heart and emotions as the better Pixar films and more recent DAS efforts, but still a much much better effort than Minions and about on par with the Despicable Me films. Kevin Hart's Snowball really stole the show, and Jenny Slate's Gidget was also great.

If only poodles were really that metal lol

I don't see why they couldn't be. Everybody forgets that poodles weren't originally bred as companion dogs but as hunting dogs and there are actually 3 variants to the breed, the standard, the toy, and the mini with the standard standing as tall as other hunting dogs like labs and retrievers. The classic poodle haircut, while silly looking now, actually served a practical purpose when it was first conceived, it was meant to help the dog dry out quicker while retaining hair in key spots allowing those areas to still way warm. So there's absolutely no reason why a poodle couldn't be metal.

I can't help but think of the poodle from the Elvira movie when I think of a metal poodle lol. We should make a new poodle breed and call it the Metal, actually Dio's hair was kinda poodle-like at times.

I don't see why they couldn't be. Everybody forgets that poodles weren't originally bred as companion dogs but as hunting dogs and there are actually 3 variants to the breed, the standard, the toy, and the mini with the standard standing as tall as other hunting dogs like labs and retrievers..

I would like to specify, here. More than general hunting doge, (standard) poodles were bred to hunt frikkin' badgers.

--Jonah

I would like to specify, here. More than general hunting doge, (standard) poodles were bred to hunt frikkin' badgers.

--Jonah

I think that you're confusing the poodle for some other dog, like a terrier of some sort. Everything I've read says that poodles were bred primarily as bird dogs, hence their affinity for water and webbed toes. I think that it's the dachshund that were bred to hunt badgers, that's why they have the long body with the short legs; those traits allow them go down into the badger's lairs to get at them. A poodle is really too large to get at a badger, not unless you had some method of flushing them out of their lairs, something that I imagine is difficult to do without either setting it on fire or blowing it up.

Isn't dachshund German for badger? Seems we had a weenie dog when I was a kid and I looked him up in the encyclopedia and saw that. Then we actually named him Badger.

But that was about 45 years ago so my memory might be skewed.

I heard it was just Toy Story without the feels.
Is this with paying theater prices or is it a rental/torrent?

I heard it was just Toy Story without the feels.
Is this with paying theater prices or is it a rental/torrent?

It's borderline worth theater prices for adults, and a definite yes if you have kids. About on par with the Despicable Me films and Monsters University. I wouldn't say it has zero feels, it has a bit but not as strong as Pixar's top performers. I didn't find the story to be a Toy Story clone but it's certainly not original, reminded me a lot of the old school dog animated flicks. I found it funny and entertaining, and not all kiddie slapstick humor like Minions. Having said that, I did like the Minion short attached to it... guess I like those little yellow guys in smaller doses.

Isn't dachshund German for badger? Seems we had a weenie dog when I was a kid and I looked him up in the encyclopedia and saw that. Then we actually named him Badger.

But that was about 45 years ago so my memory might be skewed.

Close, it means badger dog, dachs is German for badger while hund is German for dog.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back