The Rocky Horror Picture Show costume discussion

This photo is one of a costume that my mother Lynne Petty also made, on someone performing for the shadowcast screening of the movie. It's not perfect, as the quilting isn't exact and there's only one layer of vinyl, but this costume was also done on a budget.

picture008-cropped.jpg
This costume is VERY DIFFICULT to make! I made one for the group here in Long Beach, California. I sadly used that "Common Type" of Tissue Lame found in most fabric stores, like Jo-Ann Fabric. NOT the "Rubberized" type that they sell on the rolls.

Unfortuneately? That fabric SHRINKS when heat, or STEAM is applyied!

The "Shoulder Wings" are made of PVC Vinyl, and they were made to SNAP on, so you can get in and out of the costume easily.

The Originals were made of "Upholstery Vinyl", and are VERY DIFFICULT to make!

Well I Have been a big time RH Fan for YEARS.. I have performed in Milwaukee WI, Madison WI, Woodridge IL, Hanover Park IL, Chicago IL and in LA CA. and occasionally still guest perform from time to time

I was part of the group "The Celluloid Jam" in Milwaukee from 1986 to 1991

I have played Frank, Rocky, Magenta and Riff Raff.

I am currently RE making my Butler Riff Raff costume as the 20+ year old one is just falling apart. and repairing and modding my Riff Raff Space suit.

Oh and I have a STEAL RIFF RAFF LASER! ! :)

http://www.tk118.com/images/costmes/riffaff/meriff.jpg

meriff.jpg

tom90.jpg

mefrank.jpg

We threw together a Frank N. Furter costume for my husband about 8 years ago from my lingerie and an old wig I cut down. I did buy him some shoes, but I wasn't necessarily looking for an exact match then. FF to the present, and I'd like to get him some footwear that's a lot closer to that worn by Tim Curry in the movie.

I got his original size 15 women's black pumps at this site, and they have some black PU mary jane platform pumps up to womens size 16. I'm going to order him some and add a ton of black glitter to them and seal it up. I think they'll work wonderfully, even though they're not peep toe. The modern pair also has a slight curve on the heel that the original 70s version doesn't, but there's not much I can do about that. And if he were one size smaller, I could just buy the black glitter pumps outright, but that particular pair only goes to women size 14.

DOLLY-50 * 5" Chunky Heel Mary Jane Platform Pump

Last edited:
I'm going to a showing on Saturday night and as usual it's sort of a last minute decision to go and I never put a costume together. Sigh. I am a failure as a costumer when it comes to RHPS. Well at least I bother to get all the audience participation props together.

Ok, I think I've changed my mind on the shoe. I'm torn between these two:

Pleaser Women's Dolly 09 Ankle-Strap Sandal

and

Bordello By Pleaser Women's Cheetah-06G Peep Toe Pump

I'll have to mod either one anyway to get glitter/rhinestones, but the problem is that the black sandal has the right heel, but it doesn't have the right toe or back (strappy instead of d'Orsay). The leopard one has a buckle that I can cover up and has the right shape, but the color might be an issue to cover up and it has the wrong heel. I'm leaning toward the leopard one, but it's also $20 more.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is me and my wife from the RHPS here is Memphis last Sept. I have gone to the show many times, but this is the first time we dressed up had a blast, and tons of people wanted to take my picture. Not at all screen accurate, but what do you expect when you make the top out of an old white t shirt. I think everyone was blown away by how tall I was, I am 6'-4" without heels!!
11353-310561-10100844645899660-1950632-66277629-4260952-n.jpg

Cool stuff here! I haven't made or worm any RHPS costumes in years, but here is a small crappy collage of a few of them that I've made for myself and others:

rocky.jpg

Top: Frank's dinner shirt/corset, spacesuit, spacesuit gloves, another spacesuit.
Bottom: Frank's red corset, the black floorshow corset Janet/Brad/Rocky/Columbia wear, hand-sequinned columbia coat and hat.

Awesome. I played Frank as part of "Velvet Darkness" in Fremont, CA for years when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I played Riff a few times too but Frank was my main part. If I can dig up some pics I'll post them.

Cool! We tried to form a cast once but it didn't work out, I ended up making costumes for people over the internet for a while (until I got really, really sick of sequins...). All there was in the area at the time was a theater without a cast that didn't allow any real audience participation, so we just came in costume a couple of times. I was Magenta and Columbia on a few different occasions on Halloween.

The only things I still have is a spacesuit and a Magenta maid costume, and a bunch of patches. I bought one of those embroidery machines you can make your own patch designs with and attempted to make every single patch on Frank's leather jacket. Pain in the butt, that was...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back