The Reverse Flash (MWOO-HAHA)

Archer21

For those of you who have seen my other threads, Arrow, Huntress, Dr. Fate, etc. might have noticed that I start threads but never actually finish them. Well I'm working on Arrow still and I just started a Star lord (I probably wont post a thread on that 'till it's done) but Dr. Fate has been pushed back due to a more important and way more awesome build. The Reverse Flash! It started of as a Flash build but seeing the RF on the CW Flash show (which I've watched episode 109 about three times). I drew up a design for it and while I'm not the best drawer it gets the point across.
20150124_193017.jpg cw_reverse_flash_update_10_10_2014_by_lucasboltagon-d827k2n.jpg 3370880-ds_044_reverse+flash+coloured+sm.jpg
I based this on the RF from the Flash show, the original comics, and some of the armor designs were based on the Dark Knight movies. I plan on attaching the foam armor to a black zentai suit and I have a few questions. How should I attach the foam to the under suit? Do zentai suits have a zipper in the back? I'm pretty sure they do but I can't really remember. And for the belt should I use thin craft foam or the thicker EVA foam mats? I personally like the thicker way but I'll let you guys submit your own 2 cents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be watching this one with great interest, may even make an attempt of my own!

Food for thought, I've seen great work done on green lantern costumes using EL wire and other forms of illumination. If you're doing something similiar to that 2nd picture, illuminating the red lines could make for a very interesting and unique look.

To keep the streamlined look of the comics' and the show's suits, I'd stick to the thin foam for the belt.

How do you plan to attach the foam to the suit? I've seen snaps are becoming a popular option.

To keep the streamlined look of the comics' and the show's suits, I'd stick to the thin foam for the belt.

How do you plan to attach the foam to the suit? I've seen snaps are becoming a popular option.

See? That's the thing...idk. I dont plan on wearing the zentai suit for much else so I might glue it on with fabric glue and see if it sticks, I think that's what some people did. I'm still looking into it though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be watching this one with great interest, may even make an attempt of my own!

Food for thought, I've seen great work done on green lantern costumes using EL wire and other forms of illumination. If you're doing something similiar to that 2nd picture, illuminating the red lines could make for a very interesting and unique look.

I was gonna use puffy paint but that actually sounds really cool! I'll look into it for sure.

Go with snaps. Glue on stretchy material either makes for warped spots where the material does not stretch evenly, or the glue fails because the material is stretched away from it. Snaps go through the fabric layer, allowing the fabric to move around it and therefore rarely failing.

The trick with snaps is that you have to use a fabric swatch on the back side ("wrong" side) of the fabric, because spandex tends to be pretty thin. You can use anything (an old t-shirt, scrap fabric, etc.) and the swatches really only need to be about 1"x1". You crimp the "male" half through your base layer, then just crimp the "female" half together free and hot glue it to the underside of your armor.

Other tips:

-Put on the assembled undersuit, then hold each piece of armor up to yourself (one at a time) where you would like it to lay and, with your free hand, use marking chalk to either trace the pieces or (better option) mark underneath the armor where you want the snaps to go. Since spandex stretches across your body, this will ensure the snaps (and thus armor) are correctly placed while you are wearing it rather than lying on a flat surface.

-Along the same lines as the previous, remember that your abdominal area will likely stretch the most. Breathe in before marking those snap locations. In my opinion, it looks better if they end up a little closer for the majority of the time, rather than stretching apart in an oblong way every time you inhale (or if you just happen to have a big lunch that day, been there done that).

- Use at least two snaps per piece, 4 on the chest piece (based on your design, 1 in each corner). 1 snap allows the armor to swivel/turn, while two will hold them in position.

- Finally, if you have a dual temperature glue gun, make sure you use the high temperature when gluing the snap to the armor, and when removing the armor, slide something in between the snaps and pry them apart (finger nail, small flat-head screw driver, nail file, paper clip, etc.). Do NOT just pull the armor away from the suit. That is a very quick way to damage the armor, or yank the snap of the armor, or tear your undersuit, etc.

As for your undersuit, if you buy the suit from somewhere, most places give you the option of a zipper. If you can, find a place that offers the option of a front crotch zipper too. It looks like you have a cod piece that will hide it, and it will be a lifesaver when nature calls.

Thanks Vox! That's a lot of helpful info. I'll get those snaps for sure and I'll look into that crotch zipper too lol. When I get supplies in hand I might have to PM you for a step by step, don't wanna mess this up. About the "swatches", do I have to attatch them to the suit? I dont really get that part...

Thanks Vox! That's a lot of helpful info. I'll get those snaps for sure and I'll look into that crotch zipper too lol. When I get supplies in hand I might have to PM you for a step by step, don't wanna mess this up. About the "swatches", do I have to attatch them to the suit? I dont really get that part...

This video is how I figured out how to do it. It provides a nice visual tutorial of what I was trying to describe. If you have any other questions on it, feel free to PM me! I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to ask you guys for a favor I'm having trouble designing the back of the suit. I wanna incorporate the lightning on the back but still have armor on the back. I also want to be able to move easily like the front.
Backshot.png

If someone could design it for me or suggest some stuff that'd be awesome!

The key to designing armor is really just looking at the muscles/skeleton of a given area. You want the armor to cover as much as possible, while leaving a gap wherever there is a joint (such as the many segments of the spinal column) or a flex point (such as between the Latissimus Dorsi and the Teres Minor).

back-muscles.jpg

The other thing you can do is look at Motocross vests/shirts/jackets, and see how they reinforce their back portions.

Tough call, personally I'm more partial to the double point side. Although single would be more accurate to the comic in terms of spacing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back