"The Orville" uniform

I've been getting back on here, looking for more chatter about the uniforms, and it seems that this thread is the only one. Great work, Shipbrook! I ended up getting one of the "TISEA" Chinese deals a few years ago, and while they are OK, I'm still not totally happy with it. I have made a few Starfleet (Trek) uniforms, Star Wars too, and always wanted to get back to tackle the Orville. Now that season-3 is out, and they have updated uniforms, I'm even more inspired.

Shipbrook, your link for the blue football material is now showing it out of stock, so I'll have to search around to see if anyone else has it. All the rest are still good though.

I was at Toronto Fan Expo yesterday, and didn't see a single Orville anything. Posters, uniforms, costumes, zip, nada, nothing, diddly-squat. Billions of those funkopop thingies in every type but Orville, not that I would buy one anyway.

I seriously want to get a uniform, but I have no skills for sewing, no machine anyway, and want one for Toronto Comicon in March '23. Looks like I'll have to buy one ready-made. I've been looking on line, plenty of places selling them, but I want to get a good quality job, not something that may arrive looking more like a t-shirt. I'm willing to splurge on trim, like proper epaulets, badges, and such, perhaps a sidearm.

So, anyone have experience with sellers who provide quality products?

As a fan of "The Orville", I decided I'd like to make one of the uniforms. Here are a couple of cheesy photoshops onto the sets, and a closeup of the jacket with its accessories.

View attachment 796824View attachment 796825View attachment 796826

I've got an album up on Imgur detailing the process of making it, including links to the various fabrics.

(Would have tagged the post with "The Orville", but I don't have permission to create tags.)

What type of fabric did you use for the main part of jacket (and arms too). I'm planning on making my own Orville cosplay for Dragoncon next year.

What type of fabric did you use for the main part of jacket (and arms too). I'm planning on making my own Orville cosplay for Dragoncon next year.
I used a football mesh knit for the main fabric, and a micro mesh for the piping. (Note that stylishfabrics seems to be out of the blue and orange football mesh at the moment, but they've still got science/medical green and security red.)

I used a scuba knit for the arms and sides, but I wouldn't recommend it. If I were to make it again, I'd probably use a ponte de roma, which has a comparable stretch but isn't nearly as hot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back