The Order 1886 Grenade

LandstalkerProp

I was lucky enough for Ready At Dawn studios to spot my work online and ask me to make them a prop. They said that they wanted authentic materials, real wood and metal - No plastics or resins.
After they sent the measurements and some concept drawings I set to work.
The handle was lathed from a block of pine and stained the correct colour, the brass parts were cut from 3mm brass sheets, lathed and then soldered together to make the central piece.
All of the release mechanism (which actually works), the blade and the collar are made from mild steel. This was cut, heated, hammered and forged into shape to make the parts. Everything is screwed and fixed with mini rivets.
The blade is spring loaded and sharp.
The actual grenade part was cast in seperate sections which were soldered together on the inside to join them into one piece. Casting these was a real pain but the finished result looks good.
Finally I decided that a crate would look cool as they find some weapons in crates during the game. This was nailed together, again no modern screws and fixtures, stained and then The Order logo was burned on.
This really should have been branded but making the logo out of metal just for this would have been a little overkill. I opted to cut out the design in a sheet of 6mm MDF. I soaked this in water to stop it from catching fire and used it as a stencil for a blowtorch.
Some straw for packing, just like the game, finished this prop off.
I am totally happy with this piece and it is one of the best things I have made.
It was a labour of love as I am a big fan of the game and I hope to build more weapons from The Order soon.
3.jpg7.jpg11.jpg19.jpg20.jpg22.jpg24.jpg30.jpg36.jpg41.jpg48.jpg2015-02-12 17.32.12.png

Wow! I love it! I had been waffling whether or not to play the game given my lack of time but it looks amazing, worthy of a prop like this. Well done!

This is wonderful, the authentic materials really make it stand out.

The working blade is great, and the improvised brand was genius!

My excitement for the game is increasing :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back