The One-Stop Y-Wing Thread

Hi guys...Hope you're well...I would like to know what you think about the Alfred Wong's model who made a kit for Korbant ?...
I would like to start a new adventure and what could be better than asking people who know their subject very well....
thanks

Hi guys...Hope you're well...I would like to know what you think about the Alfred Wong's model who made a kit for Korbant ?...
I would like to start a new adventure and what could be better than asking people who know their subject very well....
thanks

While I haven’t seen the kit in hand...it’s FAR from being close to the studio model, if that’s what you’re looking for. That’s not to say that it’s a bad kit....it’s just not an accurate one.
I have no idea of the quality of the castings.

I purchased one of his Vader Tie Fighter kits. The quality of the patterns was exceptional, but the castings were only fair. They were clean, sharp and bubble free. But for some reason every single casting was poured "proud" of what must have been an open one piece mold and then sanded flush. Some of the parts were sanded better than others but overall, it was not great. Not sure why they don't just use simple silicone back plates to make sure the casting have flat backs. It's far less work and yields much nicer castings.

ok...so not so good as I wish...I had noticed some differences with the MR or even with that presented by Steve Neisen for EFX ...
is there a propmaker who would offer kits worthy ?

You can get Steve Neisen's Y-Wing on Ebay from seller Monsterroom. Or you can go the DIY route, printing off your own armature and then super-detailing it with original greeblie castings that I offer on the Project Runs page. Depends on how much time/money/effort you want to put in, how "old-school" your build philosophy is, and/or just how much time you have to enjoy the hobby of actually "building" (vs. "displaying") the model.

I am repatterning the TIE and Vader TIE. My client needs new wings and I REFUSE to build subpar resin any longer. I have scans of castings from original ILM 1976 era molds, and will probably do a similar thing like the Escape Pod - get all the donor parts cast and you can build/pattern your own, using parts that paint will stick to.

Same with the y... repatterning from ILM sourced parts. I own part of the pyro "Triangles" so why not.

Last edited:
I'll just make the naked ball available as an STL and y'all can add all the parts...

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.40.14 PM.png

ETA - NO IDEA. Not a super priority. But I do have a lot of vintage kool shade doing me no good without a TIE...

You can get Steve Neisen's Y-Wing on Ebay from seller Monsterroom. Or you can go the DIY route, printing off your own armature and then super-detailing it with original greeblie castings that I offer on the Project Runs page. Depends on how much time/money/effort you want to put in, how "old-school" your build philosophy is, and/or just how much time you have to enjoy the hobby of actually "building" (vs. "displaying") the model.
thanks...I've just contact Steve (Nice-n model design) and we have a deal...I take a lot of pleasure with the painting and the different effects...I will tell you about the progress of the project and will probably ask you for other advice...

The Nice-n as cast by Mike Salzo for Gold Leader was a great kit. I went with that in the end rather than DaveG's excellent alternative. Of course I've got all the base parts for the DaveG Green Leader still in a box including his exceptional printed cockpit area. Look out for those to go on the Junkyard soon.

I have 2 Nicen Y-wings, one cast by Mike, the other cast by Monsterroom. Both castings are of excellent quality.

Dunno why my Vader wouldn't accept primer or why it's wings warped AFTER it was done and delivered, but I'm glad someone got something useable!

Guns... the guns have stopped.

Where are your top turret guns, Jkirkon? They fall off, you lose them, break them, or are you in the process of building super-detailed guns with turned metal barrels, vents and all?

Holler if you need guns. I have a good 2-part mold to replace the 1/24 Hurricane guns that go up there. Or did your squadron become pacifists? ; )
Looking for the top turret guns. Do you still have the mold? Thanks!
Rob

Okay It looks like I'm in need of some serious visual aid help on the location of the dark grey smaller piece in this photo. I spent an hour yesterday trying to figure this puzzle piece out and for the life of me I just can't see where it would go. Would really appreciate some help on this one.

Attachments

• Y Wing Instructions.png
    Y Wing Instructions.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 244
Hi guys i wanted to have your opinion:
I paid for a kit on April 9 (nice n'model)..supposedly in stock he wrote me the april 14 "we are finish up the kit...."...On april 22: he had a "supply problem with the aluminum frame "... May 29 his "caster has placed the order for the missing armature and soon as it arrives it will be milled and threaten then the kit will be on its way..." i raised twice (july 1 and 8) but no more news since....
Should I worry? it's the first time i order from him...

Thank you for sharing your experience

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back