The Miles Morales+Spider Gwen Hybrid Build

Iracel

Some of you know about this. Some of you don't. With my classic Spiderman costume almost being done. (ahem http://www.therpf.com/f78/iracels-definitive-classic-spiderman-233781/ ahem) But this one... bruh. So, I'm seeing a lot of girls doing Spider Gwen now that the character has blown up. And a lot of guys are enjoying the girls and giving them so much attention. xD But I really like her design, and more so, the hood. I figured that hood and the fang like pattern would compliment the red and black scheme of the Miles costume rather well. And then of course, with all of my different tweaks and whatever. So, the sewing is almost done, and this one is going to be pretty fun to make. So, I have a picture of the plans right here.

r4e1Ggol.jpg

I figure with all the comments I get from people when I take off my mask, like "oh wow. You're black. I had no idea" or "oh my god you're black", it was time I fianlly did a Miles Morales type costume. Only way to avoid those comments. :/ But I also like Miles (haven't read SpiderGwen, so I can't comment on her character), and this costume looks awesome so I'm extremely excited.

I've also cut out the back spider template. I think it looks pretty cool. :p

y539A5nl.jpg

Then I traced it on cardboard, so when I'm finished sewing I'll get my paint all mixed up and do a little poor man's screen printing.

7ucsK2Fl.jpg

Stay tuned. :)

So, here we go. I still have a pocket to add. Adjust the hood (its too big) Fix the spikes and make the back longer. Make the fangs smaller. Now, I chose a lighter gray because I couldn't find a darker color that wasn't black, but I didn't want black because I have muscle shading to do. So I'll just have to wash it in black clothes and maybe with some dye. :p I wouldn't mind the white being darker so it's all good. The plan for today is to do some muscle shading, wash it, and make the chest spider template/Paint it on.

I'll leave this here. :p

5MOtpMMl.jpg

Ej1is4Ul.jpg

cQSIdI7l.jpg

Thanks for the support everyone. :)

So, I am insanely proud and happy. "But why, Chase?" Because I kinda successfully made a smooth, symmetrical back spider. But it was a long hard journey. So, first I cut out what the front spider would look like. It took some measurement and paper folding, but after drawing it up and cutting it out it looked pretty good. So I traced it out on cardboard and was on my way to cutting it. (This all took like, two hours. I was watching Marvel's Daredevil at the same time though...) But guess what. Cardboard sucks booty when it comes to cutting it out for a stencil. I spent a lot of time trying to cut this spider out, then I gave up and spent a lot of time trying to cut the back spider out of the cardboard. So much time lost for nothing. D:
I realized that I had to use something other than cardboard, but I didn't have any more neourethane (which I've ordered at this point) so I was scrambling for some sturdy material that can be cut easily. GOOD NEWS. Turns out I had a sheet of silicone in my closet that I never used because it's entirely resistant to paint and glue. I pulled it out and redrew the back spider on it. Then I cut it out, which was so much easier compared to cardboard, and this was my result.

feQhwmWl.jpg

But then I had to work out the costume and how it will be stretched out when applying the spider. Because the zipper and fabric don't lay flat at rest, so I had to position all these weights to make it flat. Then measuring the distance of the fangs to ensure that it is symmetrical. So after I think I had it all sorted out, I mixed pearl red paint with iridescent medium and some brown paint for the back spider, and I poured it on. After a bunch of smoothing it over with paper, after taking off the stencil the spider looked awful. -.- So I threw the costume in the washer and tried again later.
Next day, I stretch it out and remove the little segmented lines in the body of the spider because they weren't doing anything but messing up the pattern. After putting the paint in a bottle and pouring it in, then smoothing it out, the spider looked much better after quickly removing the stencil. After touching up the edges and filling some parts in, the result is pretty satisfying.

C2I3o6Ml.jpg

Sorry for not posting. This will be long though. A lot of progress being made over here in this room. So, the back spider dried, at it looks pretty great. I mixed two different paints that I am using on the black portion of the costume. One is a dark black, and the other is a pearlescent lighter black, so it shines better. It's rather subtle, but I like it. The middle of the back is the lighter black and the sides are the darker black.

9jOMgqjl.jpg

The cut off lines are asymmetrical, but that always happens and is easily fixable when I do the embroidery lines. You can also see that the fabric drastically darker than before. :p I got black dye na flow and after drawing in the muscle shading with sharpie, I covered the fabric in ink. I'm rather pleased with the result. I wanted it to be black, and not have drastic shading where I leave grey as highlights. I was afraid it would look artificial and ugly. But I did find a pen that is even blacker than a sharpie, so I'll do some more fine tuning once I buy a pack of those. So, again, subtlety is the name of the game. :p

bw0Wu1El.jpg

You can see the ab shading. but it's not extreme. Also, the white part is covered in a different sectional pattern I wanted to try. Problem is, I hate it. Maybe it's just the color though. So, I kind of tore the white part off and am stitching new fabric on and doing it again. This time the pattern with be a dark grey. Something that doesn't completely contrast the white. It'll look much better when I'm done with it.

This is kind of a side note, but very relevant and helpful to this costume. I made a duct tape torso and legs so I can paint the spandex while it's stretched out. This let the paint seep deep into the spandex, allows it to conform to my body better, and doesn't put stress on the zippers (which is a problem I'm having with my last costume.)

(This is the costume I'm referring to)
VjPvZbhl.jpg

I ended up running out of duct tape for the legs, but masking tape got the job done pretty well too. So I stuff the mannequins with old clothes and then get them in the costume. Then I do my thing, which in this case was dying the legs until I ran out of ink.

eL9fLwZl.jpg

So that's kind of where I am right now. Waiting for a shipment from Amazon to get in so I can really get down to business. :p

Side Note: My friend bought a Spidergwen print online for me to modify for her. She made me promise not to put it on...

y8KmKT2l.jpg

Anyway, stay tuned.

Do you plan on going to Matsuricon this summer? And will you be wearing this costume to it?

I hope so. Since I'm leaving for college on August 20 something I'll have to see if that all works out. I'm definitely going to Colossalcon though.

Last edited:
Many progresses being had by me. My urethane finally came, so I was able to cut out the chest spider. After I made my stencil I placed it on the fabric and only did one part. See, I was afraid of doing all of the spider at once and when I lift the urethane off it would bend (it's rubber.) and ruin the pattern. So that one part was looking good, and before I did the rest, I found really cool metallic red paint in my cupboard. So I added that to my concoction and then had to paint over what I did before because the colors are different. More mayhem and mishap ensued, but eventually, I came to this result.

M5YJdwll.jpg

I have the webs the same color and connecting to the spider, so to make it pop more (and cover any splotches) I edged in the sides with black ink. You can see the outlines in the webs where the pattern will be contained too. I'm also working on the frames. For the lenses, I cut up these black Oakleys I had. I'll place the silver hexagonal film over and it'll look great.

MU9hI7cl.jpg

They still have to get painted more but it's lookin pretty good.

Currently painting in the white part with a different gray paint. No special light effects to it or anything. I'm also drawing in the boxes for where they will get painted into, and I'm drawing in the shading. Problem is, the pen lied to me. It said it was water and fade proof. It is not... When I rinsed the costume out because I had to re do some latex stuff, it all ran and smeared. So now the white is becoming a bit darker and the lines are not as black. That's pretty annoying. I'll roll with it.

WYM1AGhl.jpg

HGhdEHfl.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back