The Marvels (2023)

As a cat owner i was appalled by how much Carol didnt seem to give a crap where her cat was after initially dropping him off on Saber. Could have at least used a wrapped up *Carol picks up Goose and says "You've been busy"* or something.

You said you watched the film in multiple sittings so you might have missed the bit where they said that the Quantum Bands were charged up by Carol, Kamala and Monica's powers. So The Marvels had to resort to a more hand to hand style of combat to prevent Dar Benn being powered up too easily.
I did get that. My point is that it's a contrivance the writers came up with so that the characters would have to fight hand-to-hand. And it didn't really explain why Kamala was able to go toe-to-toe with Dar-Benn's armed soldiers, when she has no real hand-to-hand combat experience (that I'm aware off).

Also, while I was talking about the movie to my brother (who had seen the whole thing while I was just halfway through), he brought up a good point
He said, "you know how the villain can charge her bracelet by absorbing the Marvels' power? You'd think they'd try that with the other bracelet Kamala has, but you'd be wrong!"

I did get that. My point is that it's a contrivance the writers came up with so that the characters would have to fight hand-to-hand. And it didn't really explain why Kamala was able to go toe-to-toe with Dar-Benn's armed soldiers, when she has no real hand-to-hand combat experience (that I'm aware off).

Also, while I was talking about the movie to my brother (who had seen the whole thing while I was just halfway through), he brought up a good point
He said, "you know how the villain can charge her bracelet by absorbing the Marvels' power? You'd think they'd try that with the other bracelet Kamala has, but you'd be wrong!"
Although the Quantum Bands are a pair I don't think they have identical abilities. Besides if you supercharged Kamala's and Dar Benn then got hold of it, you'd be playing into her hand.

Although the Quantum Bands are a pair I don't think they have identical abilities. Besides if you supercharged Kamala's and Dar Benn then got hold of it, you'd be playing into her hand.
It doesn't seem clear that the two bands aren't identical - or at least the film doesn't seem to do a good enough job of presenting that. We see two identical-looking bands, we're told they're a pair, they needed both to fix the problems caused by one, so why wouldn't the heroes think the two might just have the same poweful properties?

And not using a weapon you're in possession of just because you think your enemy might somehow take that weapon from you seems like a bad military tactic. That's like an army refusing to use fire missiles on their enemy while their enemy is destroying them with identical missiles of their own. Why wouldn't Kamala's band at least be able to absorb the energy from Dar-Venn's band, rendering it an impotent weapon? I know we're dealing with mystical, imaginary, sci-fi weapory here, but for the characters to not even think that their band would have the same properties as their enemy's band, and to not even attempt to figure out if they could use it to stop said enemy is another example of the writers ignoring logic in favor of story.

It doesn't seem clear that the two bands aren't identical - or at least the film doesn't seem to do a good enough job of presenting that. We see two identical-looking bands, we're told they're a pair, they needed both to fix the problems caused by one, so why wouldn't the heroes think the two might just have the same poweful properties?

And not using a weapon you're in possession of just because you think your enemy might somehow take that weapon from you seems like a bad military tactic. That's like an army refusing to use fire missiles on their enemy while their enemy is destroying them with identical missiles of their own. Why wouldn't Kamala's band at least be able to absorb the energy from Dar-Venn's band, rendering it an impotent weapon? I know we're dealing with mystical, imaginary, sci-fi weapory here, but for the characters to not even think that their band would have the same properties as their enemy's band, and to not even attempt to figure out if they could use it to stop said enemy is another example of the writers ignoring logic in favor of story.
At no point do we see Dar Benn use the Quantum Band she has to create hard light constructs the same way Kamala does, to me that shows their difference.
Dar Benn mostly uses the band she has as an energy source. We see her use it in conjunction with her Universal Weapon to create the extra jumps points. That seemed very clear to me when I watched the film.
Everything was happening very quickly and given the characters were constantly switching places it was hard to even speak to each other for a few minutes before they'd switch. Granted they had time on the ship to practice their ability to switch but they are still dealing with mystical, pretty much legendary objects, it isn't like they came with a manual and exact operating instructions.
I'd say it was a smart move to not over power Kamala's band, you would'nt hook a battery up to the mains and think that's going to give you a super battery. To introduce more instability into an already precarious situation would be foolish.

At no point do we see Dar Benn use the Quantum Band she has to create hard light constructs the same way Kamala does, to me that shows their difference.
Dar Benn mostly uses the band she has as an energy source. We see her use it in conjunction with her Universal Weapon to create the extra jumps points. That seemed very clear to me when I watched the film.
Everything was happening very quickly and given the characters were constantly switching places it was hard to even speak to each other for a few minutes before they'd switch. Granted they had time on the ship to practice their ability to switch but they are still dealing with mystical, pretty much legendary objects, it isn't like they came with a manual and exact operating instructions.
I'd say it was a smart move to not over power Kamala's band, you would'nt hook a battery up to the mains and think that's going to give you a super battery. To introduce more instability into an already precarious situation would be foolish.
In fairness, the hardlight constructs are not something from the band. They're an innate ability that Kamala has as a Noor. The fact that Kamran could also make hardlight constructs in the series confirms that. The bands just unlocked her natural abilities.

You can take it to extremes too. We had 6hiurs of kamala figuring out what she could do with 1, and clearly doesnt know all it can do or how to use it. In india, she did get some fight training, too. Dar ben, on the other hand, seemed to know exactly how to use it the second she saw it.

You can take it to extremes too. We had 6hiurs of kamala figuring out what she could do with 1, and clearly doesnt know all it can do or how to use it. In india, she did get some fight training, too. Dar ben, on the other hand, seemed to know exactly how to use it the second she saw it.
Thanks, good points. Though "some fight training" still shouldn't really be enough for Kamala to defend herself without her powers against a soldier. I suppose one could argue that maybe those soldiers weren't well-trained, but that also seems like a stretch the viewer shouldn't have to make. I know movies & TV have a history of making the "grunt" soldiers be easy to beat, so I shouldn't really expect more from this film.

Look man, it might not seem like a big deal, but Goose is a she, just as her comics counterpart Chewie is a she.
He points out the character flaw of Carol not giving a damn about another living creature that has been in her life for what is basically decades in-story, whereas anyone who actually has emotions would be concerned about said animal after a few hours, and all you're focused on is the cat's gender.

He points out the character flaw of Carol not giving a damn about another living creature that has been in her life for what is basically decades in-story, whereas anyone who actually has emotions would be concerned about said animal after a few hours, and all you're focused on is the cat's gender.
Joking Just Kidding GIF

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back