The Mandalorian helmet

I thought about possibly using graphite powder over a gloss black base coat but I'm not sure how to seal it without messing up the metallic look. Any suggestions?
I have a 3D printed helmet on it's way as a gift from my kids. This was the same method I was planning on using, & I'm wondering the same thing.

Side question in regards to the Mandalorian. Which studio creates the majority of the props used on set? Is it possible to contact this studio?

Legacy Effects did a lot of the work on the show. I know that Thingergy worked on it as well, I think they did Moff Gideon's costume

I thought about possibly using graphite powder over a gloss black base coat but I'm not sure how to seal it without messing up the metallic look. Any suggestions?
I'm wondering the same thing.

Coregeek over on Instagram and YouTube did some tests sealing graphite and I believe he ended up picking Spraymax 2K clear as his favorite sealer. Look him up on YouTube, he shows quite a few different sealers side by side.

A good buddy of mine swears by Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish thinned with a little distilled water but you need an airbrush for this method.. and if you have an airbrush, I would recommend using Spaz Stix over graphite anyways. Graphite is too dark for the Mando lid.

Coregeek over on Instagram and YouTube did some tests sealing graphite and I believe he ended up picking Spraymax 2K clear as his favorite sealer. Look him up on YouTube, he shows quite a few different sealers side by side.

A good buddy of mine swears by Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish thinned with a little distilled water but you need an airbrush for this method.. and if you have an airbrush, I would recommend using Spaz Stix over graphite anyways. Graphite is too dark for the Mando lid.
Thank you very much.

Since I don't have an airbrush what would you recommend I use?

Once again, thank you everyone for the kind words! Apologies for not replying individually, been very busy lately.

Since I don't have an airbrush what would you recommend I use?

If you’re planning on painting more props in the future, Iwata Eclipse HP-BS. They are absolute workhorses for professionals and novices alike, and with the proper care will last you a lifetime.

If it is JUST for the helmet, any cheap double action airbrush should do. Iwata has a few cheaper ones like the Iwata Neo.

Hey folks. I wanted to share a few photos of my helmet without clogging up the reference thread. This is my first go at it, and there will be a few small adjustments on the next one, but for the most part it’s all there.

This helmet started as a file from JMSProps, that was very heavily reworked. The entire shape was changed, new vent modeled, and new upper ears expertly modeled by Luke Daley. It was matrix molded, and cast in epoxy with fiberglass cloth reinforcement, along with resin printed ears.

The helmet is painted with the same chrome, (Alumaluster) as well as the same clear coat and weathering paints, used on the real helmets.

Visor is just a temporary Boba Fett visor taped in place until my visor material gets here. You’ll have to forgive the gaps, the Boba visor is quite a bit too wide.

View attachment 1093725View attachment 1093726View attachment 1093727View attachment 1093728View attachment 1093729View attachment 1093730View attachment 1093731

I have also developed a new way (to me, at least) to clear coat the helmets without losing any shine.
View attachment 1093732

Hope you folks dig it. Any of you that know me know I am all about answering questions and walking through my paint process, but in this particular case I can’t share any info besides what is above. I appreciate your understanding.
Stunning build and paint job, should be painting mine in a couple of days
Can’t wait to get paint on it

Hey folks. I wanted to share a few photos of my helmet without clogging up the reference thread. This is my first go at it, and there will be a few small adjustments on the next one, but for the most part it’s all there.

This helmet started as a file from JMSProps, that was very heavily reworked. The entire shape was changed, new vent modeled, and new upper ears expertly modeled by Luke Daley. It was matrix molded, and cast in epoxy with fiberglass cloth reinforcement, along with resin printed ears.

The helmet is painted with the same chrome, (Alumaluster) as well as the same clear coat and weathering paints, used on the real helmets.

Visor is just a temporary Boba Fett visor taped in place until my visor material gets here. You’ll have to forgive the gaps, the Boba visor is quite a bit too wide.

View attachment 1093725View attachment 1093726View attachment 1093727View attachment 1093728View attachment 1093729View attachment 1093730View attachment 1093731

I have also developed a new way (to me, at least) to clear coat the helmets without losing any shine.
View attachment 1093732

Hope you folks dig it. Any of you that know me know I am all about answering questions and walking through my paint process, but in this particular case I can’t share any info besides what is above. I appreciate your understanding.
Can I ask what weathering paints you’ve used here?

Can I ask what weathering paints you’ve used here?
Sure.

The helmet in the first post of this thread was the very first Mandalorian helmet I painted. It’s embarrassing looking back on it now having done 50+ helmets and two sets of Beskar armor. I got a lot better at it with practice… however, the methods never changed. It was sealed Alumaluster weathered with raw umber and van dyke brown oil (Windsor and Newton “Winton”) paints. There are some other things I do but for the most part the look comes from those oil paints.

I stopped taking the helmets for finishing quite a while ago, fifty was way more than enough for me…but since this thread was bumped up…here is my personal helmet on my WIP Lifesize Pre-Beskar statue.

26FE9782-99FD-4B7A-87A7-E012CC1B5DB3.jpeg
34D3B509-74C2-460E-8682-5B723D11EA2A.jpeg
C760C4ED-7C2D-440C-A03A-9BA4EA41436A.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks fantastic, mate. I just watched your youtube video taking us through the weathering process, which looks messy but fun, lol.

Since the thread is back open, could you share how many oz. of Alumaluster I will need to do the full beskar suit? It's pricey and I do not want to overbuy! Your work is impeccable!!!!!

Since the thread is back open, could you share how many oz. of Alumaluster I will need to do the full beskar suit? It's pricey and I do not want to overbuy! Your work is impeccable!!!!!

If I recall correctly spraying out of an LPH-50, it took about 6oz to do a full set and helmet. So 8oz is a pretty safe bet in theory, but ultimately it will depend on how you apply it. Beskar is not a full on mirror chrome, so you want to apply it sparingly and build it up to that dark chrome look. If you do wet application like I see some people do, you will not only blast past the proper Beskar look, you’ll waste a ton of material. Join some of the Facebook groups if you’re on there, “Mandalorian costume and props” group is a good one for info.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back