The Making of "2010: The Year We Make Contact"

Don't care what anybody says, I love that movie. No, it is not the masterpiece that 2001 is, but I will admit I've actually watched this one more. 2001 is something I really have to be in the mood for to watch--maybe once every 5 or 6 years. 2010 is something I don't mind sitting through whenever it happens to be on.

Its just--damn-- why didn't they make the "wheel" on the Discovery? that is something I cannot believe they did not bring back.

Its just--damn-- why didn't they make the "wheel" on the Discovery? that is something I cannot believe they did not bring back.

Yes, it would have been neat. They had to keep the budget under control, though, I can imagine. It would have been a nice touch, but it would not have significantly added to the story. Still, we've had the pod bay again! That's at least something.

My Dad and I both like 2010: The Year We Make Contact. Granted, it answers the questions that were posed to the audiences for 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it's still a pretty good film.

My god! It's full of stars!

Love 2010 - it's much more straight forward and an easier watch than 2001... (of course sometimes you need the artistry and feel of 2001).

I like the movie, too; still, it is "2001" which I keep re-watching more often. It is mesmerizing.
What I liked very much in the documentary was the insight in Albert Brenner's work on the sets.

Last edited:
2010 is a solid movie, i mean it even got an oscar for special effects and honestly the effects still hold up well. I never saw this documentary before, i know the dvd i have has a short making of documentary on it.

2010 is a solid movie, i mean it even got an oscar for special effects and honestly the effects still hold up well...

It was nominated but Temple Of Doom won. And yes the effects hold up very well, better than TOD :unsure

I have watched the heck out of 2001 for a good thirty years. 2010 has always been fun, but not anything like the same tone. There are a lot of "I wish" things about the latter film. I wish they'd worked harder to have Heywood look and sound even somewhat like the same actor. I wish they'd spent more time understanding the Discovery. Much as I missed the centrifuge, too, I was more annoyed that the emergency airlock was relocated to the port centerline of the ball, that the velcro "Grip-Shoe" flooring in the pod bay was replaced by polished linoleum, that the actors didn't even try to stay on it, that they leaned on the pod and windowsill and HAL console in what was supposed to be a microgravity environment, that the parts storage room was turned into an accessway... The technical precision of the older film demanded a particular pacing and mood that wasn't much in evidence in the sequel. Between that and having sound in space, I think Hyams dropped the ball on opportunities to contrast action with stillness.

There are also more subconscious things that ping the "something's off, here" sense for me... HAL's lenses are bigger and faceplate proportions are different. It's subtle, but they look fatter. The look of the spacesuits and pods, rather than being an evolution of what we saw in 2001 are an extension of what we had in the real world of the mid-'80s. Ditto the politics, which somehow seem more dated then the politics in 2001. The proportions and finish of the monolith were off, even. And I still wish the music had more bits there were evocative of 2001 -- not necessarily all the classical stuff, but the Ligeti pieces.

Grumbling aside, there are some truly epic moments in 2010. I love the report at the beginning, and have no issue accepting the retcon of Bowman's "My God -- it's full of stars!" It's a line that still gives me chills. I love the smash-cut from Floyd looking in on his sleeping son to the Leonov. I love the actors portraying the Soviet crew. I love the bit between Bowman and his mother. I love the boarding of the Discovery, reactivating of the ship, and reawakening of HAL. I love the apparition of Bowman to Floyd and their conversation. I love the final conversation between Chandra and HAL. I love the docking of the ships and their escape from the nova. I love the last scene on the terraformed Europa. But I think that's what tends to frustrate me more about this film -- I keep being sucked in and then jarred back out. *shrug*

--Jonah

I love the report at the beginning, and have no issue accepting the retcon of Bowman's "My God -- it's full of stars!" It's a line that still gives me chills.

That line was actually out of the novel version of the story. TBH, I agree, I love the line being used in the film too (if it had been in 2001, it would have been awesome, but it would have interrupted the mood of the star gate scene).

Hyams can't shoulder all the blame for that, Clarke shares it as well

I remember far less in the book -- and that far less tinged by contemporary issues. In the book. the final message from... whoever... was "Al these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there." The "Use them together. Use them in peace." was added for the film.

--Jonah

I wish they'd finish the book series as movies but you'd never see these made anymore; there's no room for shakey-cam, flavor of the month bands on the soundtrack, turd quality CGI, Bay level explosions, or airhead actresses with big boobs in it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back