The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

Awesome progress on the paint :eek

And you realy convince me to go for a darker base color than the AS-20 for my OT Falcon :thumbsup

Any advice?

I was just in model shop trying to pick up some base coat. I wanted to used insignia white but I could only find it as enamel. Does anyone make it as an acrylic?

If not, I'll stick with my Tamiya flat white with a drop of deck tan and a drop of light grey.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Hi Astro, I picked up some Tamiya AS-20 insignia white today --- the synthetic lacquer kind. But I can see they are offered in acrylic as well - which my LHS doesn't carry
( https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-as-20-insignia-white-us-navy/ ). Anyone know, though, if insignia white (which looks very close to ILM's Floquil 50-50 Reefer white and Grime concoction) still holds true for use as basecoat for the TFA Falcon? I actually used the Floquil 50-50 and it looked too sandy to me -- so I stripped it off and bought some AS-20 which I tested on the inside wall of the hull -- it's looks less sandy in color but very close to Floquil 50-50. It reminds me of a very light gull gray. Still --- since the TFA digital Falcon doesn't derive its color from the use of physical paints -- it seems to have a less warmer and more neutral type of gray coat --- anyone else notice that? I'm actually tempted to do something similar to Vaderbreath's falcon.

Ahhhh....daylight....Cockpit is blu-tacked on,.....bit wonky

IMG_3387.jpg

7f736fbb-6bae-4663-af16-f2d8851ef70c.jpg

& direct sunlight:

IMG_3388.jpg

J

a thing of beauty, Jaitea!!

I just came across this image of the Falcon at the disney launchbay. I'm kind of thinking they printed the cg asset here? Or something... anyway, that port mandible looks accurate instead of mirrored, like the bandai model.
Star-Wars-Launch-Bay_Full_26086.jpg

Hi Jaitea, that looks absolutely beautiful. The way the sun strikes the hull brings out the color the way we see it in the trailer! :) Wow, Stinson! Did you take more photos? That's a beautiful model. Was it in 1/144 as well? The dish rides low on its frame, doesn't it? But the frame looks really detailed.

Picked up mine a couple of days back and have been scouring through the internet and star wars exhibits in my country to look at how the kit is done.
One question remains: how does one do the panel lines of this monster? I think a regular lining marker like I use for my gundam kits won't fit because some of the panels lines are too thin/small for the marker.

Thanks for the replies and I like a lot of works on this thread! :)

Picked up mine a couple of days back and have been scouring through the internet and star wars exhibits in my country to look at how the kit is done.
One question remains: how does one do the panel lines of this monster? I think a regular lining marker like I use for my gundam kits won't fit because some of the panels lines are too thin/small for the marker.

Gundam panel line marker or any marker is a no go for this build. Applying washes and "weathering" techniques will give you the effects you're looking for. Just search youtube for it.

a thing of beauty, Jaitea!!

I just came across this image of the Falcon at the disney launchbay. I'm kind of thinking they printed the cg asset here? Or something... anyway, that port mandible looks accurate instead of mirrored, like the bandai model.
View attachment 563002

Brilliant Stinson,.....I love the rusty pipework, that model looks spot on....apart from the hull damage,....especially the one on the other side beside the jaw.....& as you say it looks like it was printed......I wonder what size it is?.....I think someone said it was the same size as the 32"

Awesome. What is your method for doing the oil streaks on the panels?

Well on my MPC Falcon I used watercolour pencils,....that way you could wet them & streak them,....but with this wee one I just used oils & turps......I really like the ease of working with oils

Hi Jaitea, that looks absolutely beautiful. The way the sun strikes the hull brings out the color the way we see it in the trailer! :) Wow, Stinson! Did you take more photos? That's a beautiful model. Was it in 1/144 as well? The dish rides low on its frame, doesn't it? But the frame looks really detailed.

Thanks CJ,....I was a bit worried that my Falcon was a bit too grey,....but with all the rusty weathering etc she's warmed up a good bit.....yeah the Lunch Bay Falcon is supposed to be pretty big,...1/48 or so......George still holds on to his ILM models, so this exhibit is all new models......is the exhibit in all Disney Worlds?

Awesome work on the paint! :eek

Thank you Pinousse,.....yours has turned out mighty fine also,.....very clever work

Brilliant paint job, I should drive up to you for a tutorial :D

Ha,....I'm no teacher,......always the pupil

It depends really if you are doing a quick build,....I like doing an oil/thinner wash.....put a drop if turps onto the area,..paint the oil on & let it thin into the turps & it should flow in the panel lines

Thanks for looking
John

Wow --- thanks for those photos, Jaitea! Hey, maybe they did use some practial effectes for the Falcon in the movie! I hope more turn up. I love the angle of those guns -- looks like a real fignting ship with the guns angled that way.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back