The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

Thanks Steve and John , was there a flathead of the original falcon and was it the 5 foot model ? Is that the first image
Also did everyone notice the new hovering plates each side of the mandible bay.

Hi J great thread and great work as always :)
Just wondering, have you seen the Falcon model pics from the launch bay thing at Disney?

Hi J great thread and great work as always :)
Just wondering, have you seen the Falcon model pics from the launch bay thing at Disney?
If I'm not mistaken, that is the epi 7 model that they displayed earlier. It was a fine molds 1/72 model with a new radar dish put on it.

I'm very curious about all those models. Part of me believes that they are all replicas

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

...the ones in the red circle?

Unbenannt.png

Thank God, not mirrored :) excellent info Starkiller :thumbsup

The ILM asset may not have mirrored sidewalls, but the fact that the bandai kit does is one of the reasons I won't be getting one, that and the fact that it's too small for my tastes.
The mirrored walls look to be a case of completing one side in the digital model then flipping them across X and calling it a day. Lazy. Hopefully a bigger version is in the works that doesn't cheat like this...

I'm glad that the big bird isn't mirrored,...really happy,...a bit disappointed that Bandai's Falcon has this difference......perhaps they got early CG files.......we know that the Falcon has been modified since the first Teaser.....& the CG effects are being tweaked right up to release,......But as Mike said I'm hoping for a bigger version

...but in the meantime,...I'm sure some modifications could be made

J

I'm glad that the big bird isn't mirrored,...really happy,...a bit disappointed that Bandai's Falcon has this difference......perhaps they got early CG files.......we know that the Falcon has been modified since the first Teaser.....& the CG effects are being tweaked right up to release,......But as Mike said I'm hoping for a bigger version

...but in the meantime,...I'm sure some modifications could be made

J

Sure do :thumbsup

I guess I'll throw in my 2-cent critique of the Bandai kit.

I was also a little disappointed in the copy-paste mirrored-symmetry of the kit at first, but I got over it.
This kit is still 100x better than an AMT/Ertl, and I doubt anybody but me is ever going to notice it.

I LOVE how this kit just falls together. It's almost like building with Legos.
Really well engineered.
I wish it had been a little better designed, though.
I didn't feel like I needed to glue on 26 tiny actuators. Those could have been molded detail for all I care.
And the Formula-1 boxes that overlap the mandibles and saucer should have been glue on pieces. I don't understand why they weren't.
But aside from those minor gripes, I'm very pleased with this kit.

A lot of thought went into this kit, by people who obviously care about building models.
It's been nothing but a pleasure building this little charmer.
I can't wait to start painting her, but unfortunately I have to back-burner my build for the next few weeks while I finish up another project.
Really glad I bought this kit. Money well spent.

what are the dimensions of the mandible edge? I'm thinking it might be possible to use my extensive photomatches of ILM's asset to create a printable replacement to un-mirror the mandibles.

what are the dimensions of the mandible edge? I'm thinking it might be possible to use my extensive photomatches of ILM's asset to create a printable replacement to un-mirror the mandibles.
We're in a bit of a bind here. It's not just the sidewalls. Other than the forward top section, all the plating is symmetrical too.

If you were to print new sidewalls, would they be based off the 5 footer? Would we even have access to the digital files for the new epi 7 cgi model?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

they would be based on the hi-res reference of the CG asset for episode 7. I've been able to use sketchup to match the perspectives so I can build directly from the image in 3D. I can't solve the plating issues, but at least I could do something about the mandible sidewalls.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back