The Expanse Belter Vac Suit

That's incredible! I have so many questions. How did you get those ribbed sections on the jumpsuit?

My own jumpsuit is coming along slowly. I recently got back into sewing it after getting bogged down sewing the reflective bands on the legs.
The ribbing is rubber tubing sewn into a fold in the fabric. but using something like para chord would have the same effect. Mine only has 4 runs of ribbing while the real thing has 5 runs with the center one being larger and side ones descending in size/diameter. Make sure to have a lot of excess fabric. as the ribbing eats up more than you might expect.

let me know if i can help in any other way. Happy sewing!

The ribbing is rubber tubing sewn into a fold in the fabric. but using something like para chord would have the same effect. Mine only has 4 runs of ribbing while the real thing has 5 runs with the center one being larger and side ones descending in size/diameter. Make sure to have a lot of excess fabric. as the ribbing eats up more than you might expect.

let me know if i can help in any other way. Happy sewing!

Did you run into any trouble sewing the neoprene? I keep getting skipped stitches despite a stretch needle and a walking foot.

Apologies for not updating this in forever, but I resumed this costume during lockdown. I finished the vac suit and got a helmet.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg
The arm display is finished, although I need to keep my phone plugged into a power bank to keep the screen on, so I'm planning on building a housing for that.
IMG_0527.jpgIMG_0528.jpg
I 3D printed the chest lights and wired them up. I need to paint the gun grip.
IMG_0529.jpg
I still don't know how the patches were applied on the show. They looked like vinyl, so I sent some images to a guy on ebay. Unfortunately, the only way these patches can be made is with velcro which isn't accurate, but I still prefer the look to regular embroidered patches.
IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0531.jpg
I used some of the 3D prints going for helmet parts. The visor trim is a sheet of sintra cut to shape and heat formed. I still need to add face lights and fans.
IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0533.jpg
I designed my own hose adapter for the vac pack, utilising the twist latch the hose has. I've still got to add the second cable to the helmet. Once I've done that, I can figure out the adapter for that hole.

So helmet still needs some work. Namely, adding the rear right cable seen here:
Helmet Cables.png

There's the boot lights to make. Thanks to Tested, we now know they used snap LEDs. All I need to do is sew up a leather housing for them.

Going to get a thigh bag too, as seen here:
Thigh Bag.png

And then there's the wrist light. Unfortunately the Surefire 2211X is a bit out of my price range, but there are Chinese knockoffs of a similar light.

awesome stuff, i need the basic vac suit but have no skill to sew so am looking for help from some place with that, anyone out there interested in making one?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back